All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to BlueGoldAce

to BlueGoldAce

Re: Third party routers & internet speed

Yes you can use the Asus router. No, it won't work with the remote iOS apps unless your a mad networking scientist and can figure out ATT's multicast packet forwarding rules and configure it on your router. The only way to use the iOS devices as TV remotes right now is to have them connected to the ATT routers broadcast. The access point for the tv receivers operates independent of the internet traffic, in the 5Ghz band and won't interfere with any of your internet Wi-Fi, but if you do use the 5Ghz band on your router you might want to manually set the channel so that it doesn't overlap with the receiver AP. Any Wi-Fi analyzing program like netstumbler or inssider can help with that once your installed.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

1 edit

DataRiker

Premium Member

You shouldn't have to manually set the channel as most any router has collision avoidance and will automatically jump to the best channel.

Unless your transferring large files over your lan constantly I would disable the 5Ghz band altogether.

Bluegoldace2
@comcast.net

Bluegoldace2 to Forosnai

Anon

to Forosnai
Won't using a better router speed up device sync amongst the network?

Also, the post above, are you suggesting I leave both the rg active along with my other router? The 5ghz band is ideal since I live in an apt complex. How do I set different channels?

Also will the wireless tv receiver be affected?

Sorry for not signing in
BlueGoldAce
join:2012-11-28

BlueGoldAce to Forosnai

to Forosnai
Won't using a better router speed up device sync amongst the network?

Also, the post above, are you suggesting I leave both the rg active along with my other router? The 5ghz band is ideal since I live in an apt complex. How do I set different channels?

Also will the wireless tv receiver be affected?

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by BlueGoldAce:

How do I set different channels?

Setting a manual channel is an especially bad idea in an apartment complex where noise issues change minute to minute.

In a relatively static environment it can be useful.

Your router will automatically give you the best channel.