uniqs
GBerry
join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON

1 edit

GBerry to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: COC announces $100 million in corporate support

Yet another push towards buying medals at the Olympics. And, yes, I know other countries do it as well.

Sadly, the money doesn't go towards helping amateurs have the ability to compete. It goes for high performance training for those who are already close to medal contention. There is no additional grass-roots support.

The Olympics these days are just paid athletes using the best equipment, best coaching, best training, and best support money can buy. A far cry from the original spirit.

I'd rather see the federal government pump money into a program that creates more recreational facilities in an effort to lower the cost associated with sport. Tax credits don't cut the mustard, as they are just tax breaks for families who already have children in sports.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007

Premium Member

It's not "either-or". You can have both. This happens to be corporate support for our Olympics competitors. Suggesting that it somehow takes away from funding of recreational sports sounds like a strawman argument without basis in fact. If corporations weren't using this money to fund our Olympic teams, they would as likely use it to fund executive raises or a new race horse for the CEO.