how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

[CallWithUs] [CallerID]

I'm confused about the outgoing Caller ID on outgoing calls made from a CallWithUs account.

I specified a "Caller ID" in CSipSimple, but it didn't seem to have an effect; I think an account number was always shown instead on outgoing calls to PSTN.

I then added a bunch of CallerID numbers in the CWU web-interface under "ADD CALLER ID". The Caller ID tab in "VoIP Accounts" table is empty. Now on all outgoing calls, regardless of what's in my Caller ID in CSipSimple, the second of the 4 numbers from the "ADD CALLER ID" list is always shown. (Why 2nd out of 4 numbers, BTW?)

How I do I make it respect CSipSimple setting? What's the point of the "ADD CALLER ID" page with the table of caller ids, with the individual options of each one of such called ids being "activated" or not (individually), and when multiple of them can be activated at the same time? I don't understand, it makes no sense whatsoever, and there's no explanation provided anywhere on the page.

AndrewZ
Premium
join:2003-07-17
somewhere
If you want to send your own CallerId - don't touch "ADD CALLER ID". In "VoIP Accounts" make sure "Caller id" is empty.
If you added some numbers in "ADD CALLER ID" for authorization purposes - make sure they are marked 'f' (inactive).

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to ConstantineM

I do not know about CWU's interactions with CSipSimple, but editing your CWU account settings in the CWU 'VoIP Accounts' page will let you set the default outbound CID, and their FAQ has an entry about the 'ADD CALLER ID' page.

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to ConstantineM
ConstantineM:

When using CWU, I don't set CID in the SIP client; I set it using the CWU website.

There are two ways to set CID within the CWU website.

The "Add Caller ID" tab is global. Per the header: "You can add your home phone number below to show the number to the called party. This setting overwrites all per-VOIP account settings." You can populate this page with a number of CIDs and then select which one will be used for all calls from your CWU account by editing that particular entry and setting either "t" or "f". Right now, I have 3 entries on that page. Only 1 has the "t" setting. That is the CID that is sent by CWU.

Alternatively, you can establish separate subaccounts -- "VOIP Accounts" in CWU-speak, and using that tab on the interface. You create a VoIP account and use that specific account with/to register from a particular SIP client. Assuming you set nothing under the "Add Caller ID" tab (which would, per above, override any settings here), or anything on that page is set to "f", you could create a VoIP account for CSIPSimple with client specific credentials and a client/account specific CID; another VoIP account for, say, an Asterisk box with Asterisk-specific credentials and an account specific CID; and a third VoIP account for, say, PBXes with PBXes-specific credentals and a specific CID.

Works fine for me...

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
reply to ConstantineM
So, basically, to have a caller id transmitted to calls over PSTN, you have to specify it in the web-interface? Specifying it in the SIP client always affects only SIP-to-SIP calls? Don't recall for sure now, but it sure seemed like that was the case when I first did the testing -- my Caller ID within CSipSimple settings seemed to have no effect on calls to PSTN.

AndrewZ
Premium
somewhere
said by ConstantineM:

So, basically, to have a caller id transmitted to calls over PSTN, you have to specify it in the web-interface?

No.

said by ConstantineM:

Specifying it in the SIP client always affects only SIP-to-SIP calls?

No.

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA

nope, Caller ID in CSipSimple still make no effect on CWU PSTN

Ok, I went back to the account in web-interface, had to click on all the 4 numbers in "ADD CALLER ID" tab, and individually change "Activated" from "Yes" to "No", and individually confirm every such action (you know how tired I am now?), then went back to my CSipSimple, with a +44 number in the Caller ID settings for the CallWithUs account, made a call to my T-Mo USA phone, and the number shown on T-Mo is 1266xxxyyy, where 266xxxyyy is the account number with CallWithUs.

However, calling my OnSIP SIP account from CSipSimple with CWU, does result in the correct Caller ID being shown.

AndrewZ See Profile, you clearly aren't telling me something, because CallWithUs does seem to ignore Caller ID field from my SIP phone when I am making PSTN calls.

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
reply to AndrewZ

Re: [CallWithUs] [CallerID]

said by AndrewZ:

If you want to send your own CallerId - don't touch "ADD CALLER ID". In "VoIP Accounts" make sure "Caller id" is empty.
If you added some numbers in "ADD CALLER ID" for authorization purposes - make sure they are marked 'f' (inactive).

I had exactly this setup to start with — no numbers in the "ADD CALLER ID" page and nothing in the "CALLER ID" column of the table on "VoIP Accounts" page (why pages are so poorly named and with varying capitalisation, BTW?), and the number from the Caller ID field on CSipSimple would not show up on calls to PSTN.

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL
That means CSipSimple sends CWU username in "From" SIP header. Maybe "Caller id" field sets CID name, but not a CID number? Name is not transmitted over US PSTN.
--
»www.callwithus.com

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
said by sokhapkin:

That means CSipSimple sends CWU username in "From" SIP header. Maybe "Caller id" field sets CID name, but not a CID number? Name is not transmitted over US PSTN.

CSipSimple does seem to only offer "Caller ID", no mention of whether it's the name or the number, or both.

Whilst at it, are you implying that CNAM is transmitted over non-US PSTN networks? What about Canada and UK? Is this what the following thread is all about, about the operator messing with the free caller id names in Canada: »Anveo & caller-id info in Canada ?

Probably not related, but I do recall that in Canada my AT&T W810i with a Fido SIM did provide the CNAM of the callers, whereas back in the US with AT&T it never did so.

sokhapkin
Premium
North Fort Myers, FL
Canadian PSTN transmits CID name. I don't know about UK PSTN.
--
»www.callwithus.com

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
Why don't I then see my +44 number when calling my +1 519 number in Ontario (at CallCentric/Fibernetics) from CallWithUs CSipSimple? All I get is still just "226xxxyyy" (the CWU SIP account number).

sokhapkin
Premium
North Fort Myers, FL
CWU uses US carriers to terminate calls to Canada. Let me know your account number, I will check in SIP trace which CID actually comes from your phone.
--
»www.callwithus.com

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
reply to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

In summary, just as sokhapkin suspected, what happens is that CSipSimple doesn't actually let you specify the correct "From" header field much.

»tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-8.1.1.3

Basically, it indeed uses your "Caller ID" value as the display name, instead of the username, and generates a From header field like this:

"From: +44xxxyyyzzzz <sip:266xxxyyy@sip.callwithus.com>",

instead of the expected something like this:

"From: sip:+44xxxyyyzzzz@sip.callwithus.com",

hence the artefacts. So, with SIP-to-SIP, it does show up as two numbers: +44 as the display name, yet 266 as the actual number; but with PSTN it ends up just the 266.

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA

CallWithUs Caller ID to T-Mobile USA prepends a "1"

Now that I'm using another SIP client that properly supports setting Caller ID in the From header correctly, I've noticed that calling from a +44 number through CWU to a T-Mobile USA mobile results in the number shown as 144, instead of +44.

Is there no way to specify a non-NANP Caller ID correctly with calls to T-Mo and such?

ConstantineM

San Jose, CA
reply to sokhapkin

Re: [CallWithUs] [CallerID]

said by sokhapkin:

CWU uses US carriers to terminate calls to Canada. Let me know your account number, I will check in SIP trace which CID actually comes from your phone.

How come US carriers charge you less to terminate calls to Canada than to the US? :-)

Canada — 0.0050 USD/min, USA Proper — 0.0095 USD/min.

sokhapkin
Premium
North Fort Myers, FL
Because Canadian carriers want less $$$ to terminate calls to their numbers than US carriers.

It doesn't matter where the call is originated from, the price depends on where the call will be terminated.
--
»www.callwithus.com

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by sokhapkin:

Because Canadian carriers want less $$$ to terminate calls to their numbers than US carriers.

They are lonely up there, and bored without NHL hockey, so they are happy to receive calls.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by sokhapkin:

They are lonely up there, and bored without NHL hockey, so they are happy to receive calls.

We Canucks have a long-standing reputation of spending more time talking more on the phone than (I think) any other nationality in the world - unless of course we are at a Tim Hortons.

Hey, so we get (and offer) a bulk discount.

(except on cellular prices )

EDIT : Oh, BTW, as far as MY feelings weigh in on the matter, I say : "Hockey, Schmockey !"

(Though that Bettman fellow DOES look a little Grinch-like, doncha think ? )

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by Davesnothere:

We Canucks have a long-standing reputation of spending more time talking more on the phone than (I think) any other nationality in the world - unless of course we are at a Tim Hortons.

Well, that's why your guy Alexander Bell worked so hard on making the telephone.

said by Davesnothere:

Oh, BTW, as far as MY feelings weigh in on the matter, I say : "Hockey, Schmockey !"

(Though that Bettman fellow DOES look a little Grinch-like, doncha think ? )

I realized yesterday that he and I overlapped at Cornell for 2 years, but I doubt I ever met him.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

said by sokhapkin:

In summary, just as sokhapkin suspected, what happens is that CSipSimple doesn't actually let you specify the correct "From" header field much.

»tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-8.1.1.3

Basically, it indeed uses your "Caller ID" value as the display name, instead of the username, and generates a From header field like this:

"From: +44xxxyyyzzzz <sip:266xxxyyy@sip.callwithus.com>",

instead of the expected something like this:

"From: sip:+44xxxyyyzzzz@sip.callwithus.com",

hence the artefacts. So, with SIP-to-SIP, it does show up as two numbers: +44 as the display name, yet 266 as the actual number; but with PSTN it ends up just the 266.

CSipSimple is open source software. You can download the source code and make it work the way you want. :)

The source code is available here:

# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://csipsimple.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/CSipSimple/ csipsimple-read-only 

AndrewZ
Premium
somewhere
reply to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

CSipSimple doesn't actually let you specify the correct "From" header field much.

This is not true.
You can specify any From header using "Account id" under SIP ACCOUNT and then specify your CWU username as "Username" under SIP AUTHENTICATION.