spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

comcastisok

@comcast.net

Best and Cheapest Modem&Router

Please help me find out which Modem&Routers r the best AND Cheap... I wanna get my own so I DONT have to pay fer the rental... Thank you all in advance

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
those two words dont go well together.

you can spend $200 and get a new docsis 3 modem, and a pretty good router (which you havent said if you need wifi, how many ports, etc)

or you can spend $75 and get an old docsis 2 surfboard and an old linksys and throw tomato on it.
--
I'm better than you!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
reply to comcastisok
said by comcastisok :

Please help me find out which Modem&Routers r the best AND Cheap... I wanna get my own so I DONT have to pay fer the rental... Thank you all in advance

See »mynewmodem.comcast.net
--
JL
Comcast

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

or you can spend $75 and get an old docsis 2 surfboard and an old linksys and throw tomato on it.

I strongly recommend against a D2 device. The investment will be *very* short lived and you'll need to get a D3 device sooner than you think. In fact, I'd recommend anyone that owns a D1.1 or D2.0 device start looking for a D3.0 device very soon...
--
JL
Comcast

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
im with ya, i want to get rid of the 1.1s, but he said cheapest...
--
I'm better than you!

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

I strongly recommend against a D2 device. The investment will be *very* short lived and you'll need to get a D3 device sooner than you think. In fact, I'd recommend anyone that owns a D1.1 or D2.0 device start looking for a D3.0 device very soon...

To view just the DOCSIS 3.0 devices that are on the approved devices list, you can click on: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?d3=1

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA
reply to comcastisok
I use a Motorola SB6120 modem and a Netgear N600 router. I don't know how inexpensive you need to be but that combo ran me around $180.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to jlivingood
Jason, I have an (old) Arris TM402p/110 for voice only, and it's been working perfectly, do I need to look into swapping it out? Thanks!
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by jack b:

Jason, I have an (old) Arris TM402p/110 for voice only, and it's been working perfectly, do I need to look into swapping it out? Thanks!

If it is leased, you'll eventually get a replacement that is D3-based. If you own it, I'd recommend upgrading it next year. Keep an eye on »mynewmodem.comcast.net for eMTAs in the future.
--
JL
Comcast

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
Thank you!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to comcastisok
For a D3 modems, the Zoom 5341J seems to be one of the cheapest, supports 8-downstream channels, and seems reliable. The 6121/6141 seem to be having issues with bonded upstream.

Do *NOT* buy a modem through eBay or Craigslist or similar. Buy only through a reputable store. Many resold or used modems may be stolen from ISP's or have other issues. Also, right now, buying an eMTA isn't easy if not impossible. Comcast seems to have ended their program with Best Buy.

Be a bit careful with going too cheap with the router. It can become a bottleneck, especially at higher speeds. Most current routers are probably fine for the standard Performance tiers (24M or so). You may have to go upscale for faster speeds. If you go to Extreme 105, you'll need a router (and computer) with Gigabit ports to make full use of it. If you use wireless, you also want to figure out what your devices support. 5GHz is becoming more common and has less of an issue with interference. Drawbacks is that not all devices support it, and the range is a bit shorter than 2.4GHz. Also, some cheaper routers may only support 5GHz or 2.4GHz, but not both simultaneously

I'd avoid gateways (modem/router combined). It sounds convenient, but since Comcast controls the firmware for modems, for a gateway, that means they control the firmware for the full gateway. You could be updated and lose settings without knowing it.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by andyross:

I'd avoid gateways (modem/router combined). It sounds convenient, but since Comcast controls the firmware for modems, for a gateway, that means they control the firmware for the full gateway. You could be updated and lose settings without knowing it.

I very much second that advice. And FWIW, Comcast does indeed mess with end user settings on leased gateway boxes (even for business class users). I had firewall and LAN configuration settings reset on my business class SMCD3G on multiple occasions (although I knew about it rather quickly when things stopped working). Even though I am admittedly a cheap skate and saving the $27 per month is a big plus, maintaining control over my end of my network is primarily why I sacrificed having an IPv4 static IP block and switched from using a leased SMCD3G to an owned SB6121.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

said by andyross:

I very much second that advice. And FWIW, Comcast does indeed mess with end user settings on leased gateway boxes (even for business class users).

Also agree and I'll add my *canned response* about the pitfalls of these gateway dvices;

Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by andyross:

I very much second that advice. And FWIW, Comcast does indeed mess with end user settings on leased gateway boxes (even for business class users). I had firewall and LAN configuration settings reset on my business class SMCD3G on multiple occasions (although I knew about it rather quickly when things stopped working). Even though I am admittedly a cheap skate and saving the $27 per month is a big plus, maintaining control over my end of my network is primarily why I sacrificed having an IPv4 static IP block and switched from using a leased SMCD3G to an owned SB6121.

This is why I won't accept a bridged SMC. But I had them install a bridged Ubee modem, I don't want them to blame the modem when an issue arises.
--
PRescott7-2097