Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint

Re: Abnormal Pings With Roadrunner

"That's your excuse when the gateway is over sold. It's not responding because it's busy replying to the higher priority requests. If the router is configured not to respond to ping then it will not answer either in the morning when children are at school but it does."

Are we talking about the Gateway in this thread, all gateways, your gateway or a specific one that you might have in mind.
Do you have an example you can show me?

Over loaded is a better term than over sold by the way.

Hob

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

"That's your excuse when the gateway is over sold. It's not responding because it's busy replying to the higher priority requests. If the router is configured not to respond to ping then it will not answer either in the morning when children are at school but it does."

Hob

Overloaded is the result of an over sold node.
Why do you pretend you don't know what I'm talking about?
G0d
join:2012-11-29

G0d

I am G0d and don't be mad because you are my example. What does it matter who I work for I speak the truth that apparently you cant handle. This kid has a few options so pay attention. Switch servers, switch isp or learn how to play your video game and stop blaming ping times for the reason your shots miss. That just sounds really silly.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Overloaded is the result of an over sold node.
Why do you pretend you don't know what I'm talking about?

I can't speak for Hobgoblin, but I will comment on what you know and don't know.

A fiber node is an analog media converter. It cannot be overloaded.

It can be oversold only in the sense that the upstream and downstream channels allocated to the internet have too many users. The same can happen for the TV and Phone channels as well.

Responses to pings and trace routes are handled by the CPU of the router. Routed traffic, that is upstream and downstream packets, places NO demand upon the CPU.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by harald:

It can be oversold only in the sense that the upstream and downstream channels allocated to the internet have too many users.

Exactly what I meant, there are too many users because they oversold the capacity of the nodes.
bluepoint

1 edit

bluepoint to G0d

to G0d
said by G0d:

What does it matter who I work for I speak the truth that apparently you cant handle.

It does matter cause you have no b***s when you're hiding anonymously.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
Bluepoint,

Looking at the very limited trace information from the OP in this thread, nothing is oversold or overloaded.

There have been many discussions on here regarding over selling, if you want an ISP to dedicate bandwidth for every single one of their customers 24/7, then your connection would cost possibly 10 times or maybe more of what it currently costs.

However this is all of topic as this is not the cause of the OP's complaint.

Hob