Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrBubbaHyde

join:2010-02-25
Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde

Re: [DSL] Frontier Speed Issues at My Home

Well Apparently nothing can be done.......

The best info I have is I am being back fed out of a remote, and they have already tried to raise the speed and I am told it failed. I am a little over 3 Miles from the Head end, and nothing can be done to upgrade until yada yada yada happens. in other words until Frontier decides to upgrade, I and my neighbors are SOL.

Any other suggestions?

One thing I would love to know is if there is a better modem/router I can buy? Basically My dish network receiver is 12 ft from the Box and I get 41% signal strength. I believe The Frontier I'm on is PPPoe, so I don't know if that makes a difference in what to buy.

Thanks again for any help/direction...

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Just about everything out there supports PPPoE. The Westell equipment I have found reliable myself, especially 6100s when used as a bridged modem. From there getting your own access point typically helps over the combo/gateway units. From my own experience unless your building is made of some building materials that don't allow Wi-Fi to penetrate nicely, the signal has to propagate through reflection, or the antennas are poor on a device, the Frontier-supplied gateways don't have that bad of range.

A new modem and router won't help with the speed of the service however. Maybe it will help with internal network transfers though.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA

2 edits

said by Smith6612:

Just about everything out there supports PPPoE. The Westell equipment I have found reliable myself, especially 6100s when used as a bridged modem. From there getting your own access point typically helps over the combo/gateway units. From my own experience unless your building is made of some building materials that don't allow Wi-Fi to penetrate nicely, the signal has to propagate through reflection, or the antennas are poor on a device, the Frontier-supplied gateways don't have that bad of range.

A new modem and router won't help with the speed of the service however. Maybe it will help with internal network transfers though.

Yea thats what I was looking at, better signal inside the house, because when my service goes to crap, at least I can Plex or WMC something to watch on the other Tv's in the house.

I find it strange that the wireless signal is so bad, can it be because I have two lines with two different routers in the house?

Example, If I take the wireless USB for my Dish and put it on an extension cable, the only time I get 100% strength is if I put it right next to the 7500! Silly right?

One of my biggest issues with the 7500 is XBOX live, there are three units in the house, and open nat is pretty much a requirement, however it seems with my limited knowledge of how to port forward, I can only get the modem router to do 1 unit per modem, quite a pain. When i had Comcast I used a netgear router that was XBOX live friendly, and had open NAT for everything.

Also, Is there really any reason for me to be paying to have that Second line? Now that I think about it, it was sold to me as a completely open 2 direct connect, in other words I have two lines feeding my house, both supposed to be giving me up to 12 mbps.

Is this just great marketing? I mean they both connect to the same line that runs to my house, Am I really getting two completely different feeds? Or am I better saving the money and going to one, and feeding everything off of that.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

The routers can reduce the signal quality if they're running in the same channel, but if you have them set up in 1 / 6 or 1 / 11 or 6 / 11 they should not be reducing each other being in the house.

Do you have any other devices to compare the signal with, such as a laptop that can give the signal using some sort of utility (WLAN Card utility, system utility, or a tool such as InSSIDer/Vistumbler)? I find that some devices, especially devices with integrated cards such as game consoles and Blu-Ray players don't often have the greatest cards or antennas in them. A lot of people usually consider them to be weak, where in comparison a laptop wireless card often shines in performance. Also, placement, placement, placement! . Keep the modems away from ceilings or walls if possible. Keeps propagation issues with the radio signal to a minimum.

For multiple Xbox 360s, make sure you have UPnP enabled within your gateway (oh, and reboot it once too). Otherwise, open NAT requires each console to use different ports, or to each have a public IP dedicated to it. You may also wish to play around with the Gateway Firewall too, just to be sure it is not affecting how the consoles operate.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA

Ok changed the routers to different channels, didnt seem to make any difference on signal quality.

Is there a Wireless N Modem/Router Combo that will work with my current Frontier Line, Please recomend because I would probably buy it in a heart beat.

Just switched my Panny BR over to wireless and even it says I will see reduced performance and recomends a wirelss N connection, but I dont know what will work, plug n play with my DSL Line.

If the unit is XBOX Live friendly that would be a plus!!!

Any help is appreciated greatly...