how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dadaniel

join:2011-02-09

1 edit

Reasonably Priced TDMA?

Can you name a manufacturer in Ubiquiti/Mikrotik price range or a step above with viable TDMA?

[Mod Note: Moved to its own topic. Title edited to reflect content.]

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA

Yeah... Ubiquiti.

»www.ubnt.com/airmax

Their "Airmax M Series" platform is TDMA.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to dadaniel

Ubiquiti and Mikrotik both have TDMA. I believe Deliberants new stuff is a TDMA as well? You want above that? Cambium. ? Not really in the same price range though.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

funkyfelty
Armament For Peace

join:2002-10-01
Lebanon, PA

1 recommendation

said by Inssomniak:

Ubiquiti and Mikrotik both have TDMA. I believe Deliberants new stuff is a TDMA as well? You want above that? Cambium. ? Not really in the same price range though.

I would avoid Cambium at this time. I have been have a rough time with PMP lead times
--
Soldier, Firefighter, Proud to be an American

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to dadaniel

Really? I have never had issues in the regard. Sounds like a distributor issue.

If you want to talk supply issues you recommend Ubnt? LOL

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to dadaniel

said by dadaniel:

Can you name a manufacturer in Ubiquiti/Mikrotik price range or a step above with viable TDMA?

[Mod Note: Moved to its own topic. Title edited to reflect content.]

Ubiquiti TDMA + Qos is called Airmax
Expand your moderator at work

j2sw

join:2006-05-02
Williamsport, IN
reply to dadaniel

Re: Reasonably Priced TDMA?

Cambium pricing is coming down. UBNT TDMA is solid but requires you to keep on top of it. The latest greatest firmware is not necessarily the best. Sometimes the bleeding edge firmware is better too. Just depends on your situation and features being used.
--
»www.mtin.net/blog
»j2sw.mtin.net/blog

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to dadaniel

said by dadaniel:

The ARC Wireless radios support their own version of TDMA at approximately the same pricepoint:

»www.antennas.com/flexap/

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to dadaniel

NV2 is TDMA and Mikrotik 5.22 + NV2 + N + Dual Polarity outperforms Ubiquiti AirMax now IMHO.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

But UBNT will beat Mikrotik on 2.4 GHz.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to dadaniel

I will cautiously say I am currently happy with Airmax on 2.4 and 5ghz multipoint.

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK

+1 WirelessDog. Me too.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to WHT

Sorry I was talking only about PtP. I don't have any PtMP on Ubiquiti so I can't compare, but the NV2 PtMP that I have on Dual pol are doing ~3 Mbps to 20 CPEs' simultaneously with almost no increase in Latency. Also found the NV2 has increases my connection times across all subs significantly, but all my LOS CPEs are MT so again no comparison for me.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to wirelessdog

Cool. The good news is that they finally have it working? Is that correct Dog?

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to WHT

said by WHT:

But UBNT will beat Mikrotik on 2.4 GHz.

Ok, Why? This is an assertion without justification. If it beats MT tell us how and why. The MT stuff we were doing with 802.11n last year really rocked. 'course they were ubiquiti cards we were using
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to dadaniel

Airmax is working, yes. We had some issues with old RB532's a year or so ago. They were running old firmware with UBNT NS2 clients and had been chugging along without issue. We upgraded the firmware on the AP's and it killed them. Throughput went in the toilet. Downgrading to the old firmware didn't fix the issue. We switched over to a bullet on said AP and it worked ok no Airmax just RTS. When we started adding new customers we started seeing more and more throughput issues.

We switched over to Airmax and with 20 customers on this AP single 10mhz channel all legacy NS2 clients single chain we can see 4 megs to every single client. Our clients are running at 3megs and we have had no complaints since making the change. Thats been about a year ago now.

About six months ago we began changing anything 802.11 over to Airmax and haven't seen any notable issues.

The 900mhz product is still crappy compared to Moto in terms of robustness in noisy environments but if you can get the signal down to -68 or better in a low noise environment the throughput is pretty amazing.

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA

Very good. Thanks for the info, dog. I am happy to hear this as we are working on a major deployment and I will feel comfortable recommending Airmax now.

Do you know, or does anyone know the chip size for the Airmax TDMA system. What is the smallest fragment size that the system sends in bits between clock ticks? With Moto it is 64 bytes.

This is important in VoIP and similar applications.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."

DaDawgs
Premium
Deltaville, VA
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

The 900mhz product is still crappy compared to Moto in terms of robustness in noisy environments but if you can get the signal down to -68 or better in a low noise environment the throughput is pretty amazing.

I'm thinking this is likely the result of legacy attributes associated with the 802.11a/b/g/n protocol. The collision avoidance logic might be in hardware or firmware. If you can't turn it off, the radios would shut down in a high noise environment. Just guessing though.
--

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to dadaniel

In theory, though, Airmax would disable the legacy collision avoidance... Somewhere there is a way to turn off Airmax in 900mhz and you could disable RTS as well which would in theory make it more robust?