Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to NormanS

Basically Norm YES!

They keep track of WHAT SITES YOU VISIT and when you return to the host site that issued the cookie,THEY COLLECT THE INFO!!!! -- Thus building a profile on you!! (THAT THEY CAN SELL TO ANYONE!!!!!!! -- Before you know it,your life isnt yours anymore!!)

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

So, if I walk into Macy's over on the other side of this island where I have not been in years, Macy's is entitled to ask for identification at their door, make a photocopy of my driver's license, follow me around the store with cameras taking photos of everything I stop to look at, pick up, etc., taking photos of me in their dressing room so they know what I tried on, etc....this is perfectly fine with you?

Must be with you as Macy's likely has more then one security camera recording in their store, and there is likely a sign at the door saying as much and yet you made a choice to enter.

Now to really play with your head, chuck in a little facial recognition and screw your license, I've got way more then that. Tie that into flickr and I've got your whole day tracked on the island as you likely appear in the background of more then a few pictures and thanks to those big mega resolution cameras everyone is using I can find you in more pictures then you would want to know about. Ohh do I love technology, there is a good reason why the NASA was given a couple surplus spy satellites are frankly they aren't needed anymore given endless stream of public high resolution pictures of pretty much everywhere on the planet and they are all public so expectations of privacy are null and void.

Blake
I love how Hawaiians talk about the other side of the island like its 10,000 miles away or something
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

How does Macy's security camera correlate my face with my name? Did the State of Hawaii illegally sell my driver's license information to Macy's which Macy's then has some computer try and put with some security camera picture? Macy's even dropped that crap about asking their customers to go to their website and vote for the salesclerk who helped them so they would make more money. That offended folks here (privacy invasion) and they stopped doing that and I don't believe Macy's is spending money and time trying to buy off the State of Hawaii and get folks drivers licenses and correlate that with some security camera pic for what reason anyway? Maybe I am a tourist in Kona for the day and I live in Japan and never plan to come to Hawaii again so I won't be in Macy's again...why would Macy's spend money in this manner? Macy's has security cameras to cut down on shoplifting not to profile everyone who walks in.

I am lost as to how you tie what facial recognition to Flckr? What does that garbage site have to do with anything? I don't visit it. I see anyone take my pic without my permission they will end up dead or at least in the hospital.

Your declaration that privacy is dead is exactly the sort of argument used in Germany before World War II. If you really believe this and are ok with it then you are my enemy. I do not believe privacy is dead. You want me to believe that so I will give up. That is evil on your part.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

No MELE if your careful with your info,PRIVACY IS NOT DEAD!!!!!

Most people willingly give up ANYTHING these days and its quite disgusting!!!!! (They are on facebook,etc)

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

In that case, however, I'd have come to know and trust the butcher personally over time, partly because I was transacting with the same, real-live person repeatedly.

Perhaps, but the family butcher of 1950 and the modern web-site of today sees YOU exactly the same way, as a walking or clicking source of income.

What I find odd is the belief that the tracking done is for nefarious purposes. It certainly might be, depending on where you are surfing, but for most places, it's just people trying to sell you crap, not to steal your identity and ruin your life.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Mele20

Next time you pay for something at Macy's I hope your using cash, as you should look around, note the camera? Its used to ensure the clerk isn't helping themselves to the till, but I tie the sales time into the camera record time, and if you didn't use cash, I've got your name (debit card, credit card) connected to a face and likely more.

Now I take that face and run it through Flickr, for example in the attached photo (16.1MP), don't care about the 2 girls in front, its the girl in the back left, next frame she looked toward the camera, bingo id'ed, complete with date time and GPS location. And you would do what, take their camera away, punch them out, and then I'd have a really good mug shot of you to base future facial recognition from as its a public beach and the picture is publicly posted on Flickr.

Now is this done for everyone, heck no, your country is broke and can't afford to do this (or maybe that is why your country is broke), but is it possible, hell ya. Would it be illegal for joe smoo to do this, not really as the only thing that might be touchy is how they connect the name to the face and there are lots of ways to do that legally as your name and face are hardly private information.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

They keep track of WHAT SITES YOU VISIT and when you return to the host site that issued the cookie,THEY COLLECT THE INFO!!!! -- Thus building a profile on you!! (THAT THEY CAN SELL TO ANYONE!!!!!!! --

I've looked at cookies. I've seen no names, addresses, phone numbers, or the like. Nothing more there than a UPC bar code on a package. So a cookie is little more than a pointer, an index. And, unless I have given up the requisite data (address and phone number to the site), they have ... (allow me to borrow your keyboard a moment) ... ZIP! NADA!! ZILCH!!!

Hatsune Miku has a more corporeal existence than I on most web sites.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbNIDlZR1A

Before you know it,your life isnt yours anymore!!)

I still go where I want, do what I want; and am willing to bet quatloos that Bing doesn't know me at all.

P.S. That is a live audience, a live band on stage, and not doctored in some studio. See if you can figure out how they did it. Pretty slick trick! Maybe Disney will bring Jessica Rabbit to a live performance near you some year!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by NormanS:

I've looked at cookies. I've seen no names, addresses, phone numbers, or the like.

Good that you finally start looking... It's better than trying to bury head in a sand and keep denying that cookies are meaningless and you don't mind if everyone around start tracking you...

Purpose of cookies is to keep an unique ID (or several ID's), that will be send to web servers, when you visit their (and sometimes not only theirs) sites. All data, collected from you (like you mentioned), is kept in databases, running behind web servers, and linked to you using those unique ID's. There is no need to use cookies to save your name or address. It's actually quite simple concept, designed to identify you when you're visiting the web.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

How much ya wanna bet Norman knows all this already,HE IS JUST TESTING US TO SEE IF WE DO!!

??

OZO
Premium

said by Dude111:

How much ya wanna bet Norman knows all this already,HE IS JUST TESTING US TO SEE IF WE DO!!

??

I'm sure you're 100% right. He just wants to troll this thread, no doubt about that. Or the account is compromised and used by someone else now
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to FF4m3

Ah man!!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

Good that you finally start looking... It's better than trying to bury head in a sand and keep denying that cookies are meaningless and you don't mind if everyone around start tracking you...

Finally? Finally! I looked at my first cookies years ago!!!

Purpose of cookies is to keep an unique ID (or several ID's), that will be send to web servers, when you visit their (and sometimes not only theirs) sites. All data, collected from you (like you mentioned), is kept in databases, running behind web servers, and linked to you using those unique ID's. There is no need to use cookies to save your name or address. It's actually quite simple concept, designed to identify you when you're visiting the web.

But they still need the data. If they don't have it, the cookies are useless.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

More like I think the danger is overblown. You say my life isn't mine. I just don't see how "They" can "pwn" my life with a cookie.
--
Norman

OZO
Premium
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

But they still need the data. If they don't have it, the cookies are useless.

You'll give it to them, one way or other...E.g. you login to your Google online account to read new mail confirming your recent online purchase and containing your full name, address, last 4 CC numbers, etc. Cookies is just a glue here, linking all the data together. But I'm sure you know that already very well Why are you playing this game here?
--

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to NormanS

Why do 1 out every x apps decide to steal(borrow) your contact data?
Is it so they can use the data to bother them..... No that avenue is not heavily or lightly persued. It is used to profile your associations with friends/doctors/associates/etc. Why is there an interest in such data? To compile a dossier on your associations? There may just be a ad for preparation - H in there somewhere.

said by NormanS:

I could spend hours tweaking and adjusting the tracker foiling applications; constantly, self-destructively on edge that somebody might find something to hold against me. But if they are going to connect my online surfing habits with my real world self, they are going to need to hire a gumshoe to track my meatspace persona.

So are you saying this doesn't happen that much then?
Take a look at whats currently slipping the "Need a warrant" expectation here:
»www.theage.com.au/technology/tec···msm.html

»www.theage.com.au/technology/tec···msm.html
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

You'll give it to them, one way or other...E.g. you login to your Google online account to read new mail confirming your recent online purchase and containing your full name, address, last 4 CC numbers, etc. Cookies is just a glue here, linking all the data together. But I'm sure you know that already very well Why are you playing this game here?

Online purchase receipts don't go to Google. Why should they? Packets from Amazon.com don't go through 'mx.gmail.com' to my Inbox. They go from the Amazon.com network, likely over Level 3 transit to the Sonic.net, LLC network. Three-letter agencies are probably monitoring Level 3, but is GOOG monitoring AMZN SMTP traffic? And once it hits Sonic.net, LLC transit, the only people with access are that ISP; and the SMTP stuff doesn't go to 'mx.sonic.net', it goes straight to 'mx.My_Domain.example'.

Probably because I don't believe Chicken Little's claim that the sky is falling.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ashrc4

said by ashrc4:

Take a look at whats currently slipping the "Need a warrant" expectation here ...

What are the authorities going to get from Google? They have no clue where I live. And my ISP gets their back up over warrantless data requests. I believe they are on the three-letter agencies' shitlist for being "uncooperative".
--
Norman

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

I feel it's only the tip of the iceberg and that any loosely formed TOS for any company that profiles it's users is complying. The articles are suggesting what's already offered in both articles is "out of control".

It's not properly regulated at present.

Can't find the thread where a former police officer was searched by countless police officers for being "good looking" posted here lately.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to FF4m3

Re: Microsoft STALKS YOU Even More Than Supermarkets Do

There's another reason to bother with all this. It's called SPITE.

They want info, they don't get it. The biggest problem with all this is demographics and assumption. Society, marketing think that your demographic is the only thing you'd be interested in, and therefore will market to that. Society tells you you have to have such and such to be happy. This system is wrong and bullheaded. It tries to stick you in a niche to consume more of what someone thinks you should have than any new experience.

How would you feel if you saved up for years to buy a luxury item and couldn't get it since your demographic group wasn't interested.
I'd feel the same way. No one would ever try to sell me a travel package around astronomical observatories due to demographics. They'd want to sell me a pleasure cruise which I find boring.

If a salesperson stalks me, I will tell them to knock it off, they have lost both a sale and a customer, and it will be posted on my rant page. Pestering people is never good for a sale. I'm also of the opinion that if something is a POS, it's a POS whether it's free or not. A pest will get told that said product is a POS.