uniqs

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Graphics both open and proprietary

I'm putting together an i7-based desktop machine. While it will mostly be used for work, I might give some gaming a bit of a shot. I can't find a good digest of the current state of the market, so I wanted to hear from the community - primarily thoughts on $100ish display adapter in 2 categories:

1) That will work best with Open Source drivers

2) That will work best with proprietary stuff

Thanks in advance guys.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

2 edits

rexbinary

Premium Member

Integrated Intel Graphics work best out of the box with open source drivers. (Guessing you are going to use a i7 Ivy Bridge CPU, and that should already have Intel HD 4000 graphics built-in depending on which model you pick. They are pretty decent graphics built-in with no need to buy a discreet card.)

»www.phoronix.com/scan.ph ··· ge&num=1

Nvidia has the best proprietary driver support.

If you are going to game though, I would recommend a Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 or higher. You might could get by on the Intel graphics though, really depends on the type of games you are looking to play.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
I have two machines running Ubuntu 12.04 with the Nvidia proprietary drivers, other than some minor tweaking after the installation of said drivers, they've been running great for 6 and 8 months respectively.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
Nvidia is generally known to have the best linux support for closed source. And will likely stay this way with AMD closing up their open source lab in Germany.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Thank you gentlemen.. I had decent support for my 8400, but there have been some growing pains. I might just go with built-in graphics with Ivy to start with and maybe go with NVidia at some point in the future.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT
For integrated both AMD and Intel's GPUs have good support with the OSS drivers, the AMD hardware is faster though.

Nvidia's blob is in general better then the AMD blob by most accounts. The high end CGN based AMD hardware has issues on Linux though, the VLIW based hardware has decent blob performance and good Gallium3D OSS driver support.

AMD's current APUs all use VLIW hardware and so should work with both the blob and the Galium3D drivers.
Expand your moderator at work