spc
uniqs

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50

Re: [INTERNET] How do I know if my modem is failing?

said by robman50:

So I wonder since all hardware does not last forever and we rent the hardware from Cogeco if the modem is showing it's age.

Have you tried directly connected to the computer, bypassing your router?
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

I can't do that. My modem is in the basement closest to the cable line and my computer is up stairs. I don't have any spare coax lines to bring the modem up stairs.

Also if the modem is acting up could it cause intermittent phone problems as well as internet problems?
robman50

robman50

Also I don't have a laptop that is good enough to run that game so I can not recreate the problem.

Oh another thing, my grandmother keeps complaining that while we are having a conversation on the phone that I keep dropping out. I would think that could be due to a number of reasons. Wireless phone having trouble keeping the connection to the base, poor ground line on her end, or a service issue on either end.

Also what do all those DOCSIS errors/warnings up in that log above mean?

In my router logs I do get the odd [DoS Attack: RST Scan] from time to time, could that do anything?
robman50

robman50

The modem has a good ping time.

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to robman50

to robman50
said by robman50:

Also what do all those DOCSIS errors/warnings up in that log above mean?

A T3 ranging error occurs when the CMTS isn't responding to maintenance (ranging) requests. What it isn't telling you is it probably retried minutes later and was successful.

A T4 ranging error occurs when the CMTS says it's about to send a new set of maintenance parameters and they never get received.

The DHCP errors indicate there is extraneous information in the DHCP parameters sent to the modem, which is usually harmless.

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID indicates that there is a SNMP parameter (OID) being requested that is unsupported by the modem.