batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

Difficulty backing up driveway....

My [old] Ford Focus (2.0L 4cyl) and our Grand Carvan (3.3L 6Cyl) can back up our sloped driveway just fine. My new (used) 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.7L 6Cyl) has difficulty. It gets so far, and nearly stops, with the engine spinning at ~1500RPM. I need to really step down on the gas, to actually get it to go all the way up.

ALSO: This morning I had the 2nd of two instances where it noticeably failed to [quickly] shift into reverse when I moved the stick.

All fwd gears engage just fine, and all fwd gears upshift/downshift just fine.

NOTE: The Jeep reverses just fine on flat pavement, but has trouble reversing with the transmission 'under load' (going up a hill backwards...)

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
Check the level of the transmission fluid.

Often slow shifts is gummed up valves. Changing the fluid and filter will usuallly help.

Bought used, I'd replace the tranny oil and filter. If it has a hitch, I'd definietely change it as if used for towing, it is hard on the flud.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Agree. It would seem that your tranny is slipping bad, which will damage it, given a chance. Check the fluid level, which is done on level ground with the engine running.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to batsona
I have a sinking suspicion that $1200 for a fuel pump won't seem so expensive after all.

I hope I am wrong.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shdesigns
OP here: Unfortunately, this 3.7L V6 has a limited-service transmission that has a plug in the dipstick filler, "Dealer Access Only". I've been to the Chrysler dealership, and begged them to check the fluid for me, and the guy used this long snake-like dipstick after he took that plug out. The level of fluid is measured in millimeters, and apparently it varies greatly w/ the temp of the trans. --so much so, that you have to consult a chart to see how many mm of fluid you should have, at a given temp. We had 85mm with the engine off (and at operating temp), and it went down to 74mm with the engine running.

I purchased a premium-level support plan when I bought it; hopefully it will cover any horrible repairs that may be needed. The transmission is manufactured by Mercedes, I'd read....

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
There are 12V oil change pumps made specifically to suck oil out of engines/trannies through the dipstick hole -- I'd get one, remove as much ATF as possible, and then put back the equal amount, or maybe a little more. Then send the oil that came out for oil analysis.

Disclaimer: I have one such pump and found it money well spent.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to batsona
A limited service transmission will still need maintenance if it was abused, such as heavy towing. I'd still inquire about getting a fluid and filter change.

Side note: These limited service engines, transmissions, etc, are horrible. They've removed the ability for an owner to easily do his own maintenance.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Lurch77:

Side note: These limited service engines, transmissions, etc, are horrible. They've removed the ability for an owner anybody to easily do his or her own maintenance.

Fixed it for you.