uniqs
share rss forum feed

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:27
reply to td854

Re: Intermittent disconnects (Central Ohio)

I have seen modems cause issues I could never explain if I tried. That was merely why I suggested it. My next step would then be to provide traceroutes to the internet that might show where the issue might be occurring. If we could narrow it down to a hop, maybe we could try and get a hold of that circuit provider and see if they can check that circuit for issues. If it's not a circuit directly connecting to us though, it might be difficult to get them to test it. If you could send me your phone number, account number, and full name on the account, I might have one other idea I can try as well.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

td854

join:2011-07-06
Lewis Center, OH

1 edit
reply to td854

Not sure what WOW did but the problem seems to be solved, I haven't disconnected in 2 days so I'm going to go ahead and assume they fixed it. I literally did nothing. No calls, same modem, same router, no reset config, nothing. If I run into any other problems I'll contact you Dan.

Just to add one other thing, when I was having the connection issues I was going to run a trace route but didn't really think about it. I ran a few yesterday though and noticed that the in and out of state connections are routing through the same device on WOW's network (10.35.11.29) so either the route changed (assumption) or that device was having issues and was replaced (assumption.) All hops after that device are different for the three primary things I am connected to/from.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Click for full size
Ok well after 2 days of no disconnects it's back again, many times today.

The first hop (aside from router and/or modem) I go through is 10.35.25.50
The second hop is 10.35.11.29

After these two, it peers to a different network for each one of my connections, so it either is indeed my modem somehow or it's one of these two hops. The two people that connect to me go through the same four hops after those two, however one user does not disconnect when everything else does. The third connection that I connect to goes through a completely different route after those two.

First, second, and last hops are not shown deliberately.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

oh, man, this brings back memories of a similar problem I had 15 years ago with TW.

Only it wasn't with TW. It was with AT&T. A router of theirs in Chicago was broken.

Try explaining *that* to anyone in the food chain 15 years ago. Took me two weeks to cajole people throughout the chain to help out.

Then the same thing happened after I switched to WOW, and I had to reinvent the wheel there. Took awhile.

Good luck.

I can say, you'll get *much* more cooperation if you go and get a WOW modem for the duration while they help fix this. It's not a willingness issue, it's a tools issue.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

said by adam1991 :
I can say, you'll get *much* more cooperation if you go and get a WOW modem for the duration while they help fix this. It's not a willingness issue, it's a tools issue.
Honestly the only thing stopping me from getting another WOW modem (already using one of theirs) is that I'm the first user of my current one. As an example; I don't know what they do with their shoddy DVR boxes but we went through 4 or 5 of them before we got one that didn't corrupt half the stuff we recorded, we've been told they're "refurbished" but it feels like they just receive them, plug them in and if they turn on they put them back out. I had this exact same thing happen with modems prior to the 30 and 50 plans being released, I started with an "advanced" modem which reset all the time, they brought me down to a basic modem that reset all the time, they replaced it AGAIN and it reset all the time then they finally replaced it yet another time and I finally got one that wasn't junk. This all happened in the span of a month, I really don't wanna do that again... but if they can't find any problems then I'll have to take the risk I guess.

BTW our DVR box still sucks but we gave up after replacement #3 or 4, we get pixelation and/or corruption all the damn time and our signals are fine (been checked by a tech repeatedly.) We would just go to Ultra TV to solve the problem but we don't need another bill hike just to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH

If I recall doing the math, anyone who has two cable boxes (maybe DVRs) saves money by going with Ultra.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

Can you release and renew your public IP address? You should get a different one. See if that makes any difference.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

IP and default gateway changed. I'll see what happens over the next few days.

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Already lost connection, 4:48 am for roughly 45 seconds.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to td854

I did a test of 1000 pings to your modem, and your neighbor's modem at 5977 on your street. The results seem to point to a problem in your home causing issues, and I would think much larger issues than what you're actually experiencing. Pinging your modem (on its private IP address) I get about 8% packet loss. When I ping said neighbor with 1000 pings on their modem, I get 0% packet loss. I will post the results below. This data points to the RF/coax portion of your home wiring being the cause of the problem. I won't be able to tell you much more than that from here. I would suggest scheduling a technician to come out again and look through and replace as much as possible to see if they can figure out what's causing this.

said by Your Modem :

col15-cmts1# ping 10.210.xxx.xxx repeat-count 1000
Sending IP ping to: 10.210.xxx.xxx
ping (10.210.xxx.xxx): 100 data bytes
!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!.!
1000 packets transmitted, 923 packets received

said by Neighbor's Modem :

col15-cmts1# ping 10.210.xxx.xxx repeat-count 1000
Sending IP ping to: 10.210.xxx.xxx
ping (10.210.xxx.xxx): 100 data bytes
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received

--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

td854

Lewis Center, OH

Yeah we have a really long coax cable that has to go around the entire house which has been replaced once by you guys, and like 3 times when we had insight. At one point the cable was apparently crimped at almost a 90 degree angle at the box, guy said he fixed that. Last time he was here he replaced all the basement wiring because the original wiring was stapled to the beams. I think the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the actual in-wall wiring which we were told you guys would replace if we had whatever the service is that we're paying an extra amount per-month for. We have a lot of pixelation on certain ranges of channels but throughout all these changes, that never got fixed. I'll call them out and see what they'll do. Maybe a splitter went bad or something happened with the outdoor cable in the last 2 months.

Thanks Dan for checking that out on your end, I really appreciate what you've done so far. The smoke ping I did a while ago in this thread also pointed out pretty much the same results that you're showing, now it's time to get it fixed.

deisdestiny

join:2013-01-17
Columbus, OH
reply to td854

So we have been getting the intermittent disconnects also here in Columbus. It happens about 3 to 5 times a day. The modem does not drop but we lose all external connectivity for between 10 and 30 seconds.

We have had two techs and a contractor out in the past two weeks trying to fix the problem. The first one found that the node nearby was putting to much power through the lines and they had to have the maintenance team come out and adjust things at the box near my house. The second tech came out and replaced some wires, connectors, and cleaned up the coax cabling in general. Our signal levels are nearly at the point of perfection, in fact every single tech has commented that the signal quality is the best they have ever seen.

The contractor for WOW that came out, replaced our old ARRIS modem with the new Ultra TV setup. I had hopes that our cable modem would be the culprit. But, that day on the Ultra system, we still experience the same issue and it continues.

In March 2012 when WOW was installed at this address, they had to drop a new line from the box nearby to our house. For approximately 6 months the system ran flawlessly with no disconnects. The disconnects started approximately 3 months ago.

We have turned off and swapped devices on our internal network to try and eliminate the possibility of it being something on our home LAN, but to no avail.

It is as though something outside/beyond our cable modem link is dropping connects for short amounts of time. I am really at my wits end with this issue. I have been with WOW for many years and also a very happy customer, but this is effecting us in some very bad ways. I work from home and these disconnects can cause some serious issues. I am at a loss really as to what to do anymore, tomorrow I will just be calling Customer Support once again and probably having another tech come take a look at things. Given the random nature of the disconnects, it is simply not feasible for them to hang around and wait for it to happen.