join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to dennilfloss

Premium Member

to dennilfloss

Re: Proposal to merge NS, NB, PEI.

said by dennilfloss:

Would call it Acadia though.

I wholeheartedly agree with you; however I expect due to the historical geographical inaccuracy to the current day application that it wouldn't be accepted... still the best and most favourable name I've heard yet. I still hear French speaking folk use the name for that area.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I wholeheartedly agree with you; however I expect due to the historical geographical inaccuracy to the current day application that it wouldn't be accepted... still the best and most favourable name I've heard yet. I still hear French speaking folk use the name for that area.

It is very unlikely that an anglophone New Brunswicker would *ever* want to call themselves an Acadian regardless of the context of the discussion.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Atlantica is a name they have proposed in the past... There is also an idea to include Newfoundland & Labrador in the merger... But what benefit would it be for Newfoundland???

Good idea. Combining the populations gives more efficiencies and more economic and political power. Quebec will hate it with a passion.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
New Brunswick is bilingual, Nova Scotia and PEI are not... so would the new 'province' be bilingual or not...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

That's a good point, but Nova Scotia and PEI have enough francophone communities that it would make sense for a merged province to be bilingual.

Am I correct in saying that Nova Scotia and PEI already provide, or have promised to provide, more services in French anyway?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Hey, what about Saint Pierre and Miquelon? Maybe they can be convinced to join prosperous Canada rather than stay with a France that hardly knows they exist.

France sinks a fair chunk of change into SP&M if only to stake a claim on the fish stocks...

Anecdotally, I have a friend who's dad was trained as psychiatrist in France, who currently lives in New-Brunswick. He goes to SP&M every summer and the French gov pays him handsomely for it.

I think they regard it as a "frontier region" like Alaska or the territories in Canada.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

I think they regard it as a "frontier region" like Alaska or the territories in Canada.

Frontier indeed, France wants to reclaim Newfoundland!

From Newfoundland then boats to Labrador, also march to New Brunswick which is already largely francophone, then partner with an eager Quebec.

To rival the Canadian federation, that would be a true Arcadian federation as the first new member of a reborn French Community of Nations....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

25% of the population doesn't make somewhere "largely" francophone. "Higher than Average outside Quebec" would be a more fitting term.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

33% making it Canada's only official bilingual province...

I think it's a public secret that everybody in New-Brunswick speaks French and English at the same time, and the only people who understand them are other New-Brunswickers...

Case and point it's the only place where you're gonna meet Jean-Guy Tremblay who doesn't speak a word of French but yet speaks English with a French accent.

eg: "No I don' speak Frensh dere, I only speaka da Henglish. Do I soun Frensh tooo yoooo?"

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Either way, I wouldn't call 33% "largely"

The intermingling of French and English mid-sentence that occurs among some people in New Brunswick is interesting, but there's quite a regional division as far as what is francophone and what is anglophone in the province. Once you start getting down in and around Fredericton it's about as English as anywhere in Southern Ontario, and - according to a very good friend of mine who lives there - there is a certain resentment among some people toward all the bilingualism.

To which, as I said earlier, there are New Brunswickers who will fight tooth and nail against ever being associated with the name Acadian, which is why something as neutral at United Maritimes was chosen.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gone:

there is a certain resentment among some people toward all the bilingualism.

There's always some resentment towards the Franco side of things when they become the dominant economic force... this stuff was a little more aggressive during the Louis Robichaud and Richard Hatfield eras, with the Confederation of Regions party.

So nothing new really.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

as I said earlier, there are New Brunswickers who will fight tooth and nail against ever being associated with the name Acadian

Too bad. Limits their choice of SUV's, too!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

this stuff was a little more aggressive during the Louis Robichaud and Richard Hatfield eras, with the Confederation of Regions party.
So nothing new really.

COR may no longer be official opposition, but the resentments still run deep.

People think that New Brunswick, being the only officially bilingual province, is all happy happy joy joy, when really it's not. Despite that, they still seem to make due.