J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Sukunai

Re: Canada prepares for crackdown on downloaders

So you okay losing your internet though...

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to analog andy

I suspect if they start monitoring torrenting then blokes will just move to usenet for downloads.... Then who would be responsible for the isp or the commercial binary newsserver (if you are indeed using one)?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

... and then usenet will get knocked off next. Newzbin was taken offline recently and posts have been removed from various usenet servers.

I think the idea is that they want to make it as difficult as possible for people to steal content or at least portray it as a punishable action to dissuade people from doing it. News like this scares plenty of regular folk.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

I suspect if they start monitoring torrenting then blokes will just move to usenet for downloads.... Then who would be responsible for the isp or the commercial binary newsserver (if you are indeed using one)?

The MPAA/Video Game Companies are already going after Usenet. Things that get posted don't stay posted very long as the companies have to now obey dmca takedowns and whatever the dmca equiv is in europe.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

It depends some stuff is taken down automatically others aren't touched.
With the right combo of apps you can get your content just after it's been posted on an indexing site.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18
reply to Stewy

Eventually people Are Just going to use VPN and start encrypting their connections.
This just came out today:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuET0kpH···re=g-all

Now the word is getting out that we are all getting tracked and traced(no matter what it is: torrents,emails,etc..),just ripe for the picking.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by JunjiHiroma:

Eventually people Are Just going to use VPN and start encrypting their connections.

I tried that out recently. I didn't realize how much CPU power goes into the encryption. It really has a negative impact on over internet speed (especially if your on fast packages. ie 50mbps). My router is pretty good (an rt-n16) and it can barely sustain 6-10mpbs through openvpn.

I suppose VPN will get better though.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Stewy

There is ALWAYS a way.

The current methodologies do not need to survive, only the desire to accomplish the end goal.

In the beginning it was dual tape recorders making tape to tape possible. I saw how easy it was for vhs to be dubbed (although it sucked in comparison to digital copying). I saw how easy it was to copy cds and then dvds and now even blueray is no challenge.

I recall when Zip.ca started out and the smart could order in dozens of videos a month for pennies if they simply dumped the data onto a computer and had the discs in the mail before the day ended. Lots of people denied they were doing this, and they were of course full of crap.
Zip.ca eventually realized they were being exploited and they adjusted their prices and proceedures.

Torrents seem great as they seem free. But if you pay for a newsgroup you rapidly see how much better the speed truly is. On a good ISP a person can move a blueray file at speeds most will not even realise is simple.

But nothing is for ever of course and thinking so is silly. I have seen torrent sites squashed and I have seen news indexers mauled.

But if they killed off the torrent option and the newsgroup option, people will just seek another flavour. The rental scene might make a come back. And I can tell ya, it is brain dead easy to copy digital data, so that a film WILL never cost a person more than the cost to rent plus a blank disc. Thus, paying for it in a store is really only ever about getting a fancy storage container and spiffy looking discs. I bought Lord of the Rings on blueray even though I have it on super deluxe dvd sets because I love the hell out of that film series. But, I could just as easily burned it onto blank blueray discs for a small fraction of the cost. And it would look as good on the screen.

People are always looking for something for nothing. Our society is too wrapped up in how much we own. And dollars are finite, while things to buy are seemingly endless.

And they can try all they want to screw with downloading, but, in the end, they are simply not going to beat the problem.

People will continue to steal.

Hollywood steals in their own fashion, and governments steal in their own way, and why should joe nobody think he can't as well?

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
reply to Stewy

Looks like more people will be paying for VPN access this year. Its cheaper than a lawyer and less research to setup than small claims court.

Maybe if the MAFIAA would price their products appropriately they wouldn't have to worry so much about piracy. Right now dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant is cheaper than movies for 2.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

said by JunjiHiroma:

I tried that out recently. I didn't realize how much CPU power goes into the encryption. It really has a negative impact on over internet speed (especially if your on fast packages. ie 50mbps). My router is pretty good (an rt-n16) and it can barely sustain 6-10mpbs through openvpn.

I suppose VPN will get better though.

Not everything has to be piped through said VPN though.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to Sukunai

said by Sukunai:

I bought Lord of the Rings on blueray even though I have it on super deluxe dvd sets because I love the hell out of that film series.

I use to by a lot of moves a retail prices or wait till Rogers/BLockbuster where discounting them and I never bothered downloading any movies till about a year ago. I have about 500+ dvd's.

Why did I stop buying? The same reason I haven't gone to the movie theater since before Iron Man 2. Its mostly shit remakes. Red Dawn holly shit just pick some title from 25+ year ago and remake it.

All I see from the media companies is DRM DRM DRM and lets increase the copyrights to infinity and fuck up copyright laws. So screw them I'll take their shitty product for free.

Now having said I download I don't do it too much as I'd rather hit up pawn shots and get dvs' for $2.99 and Box Sets from $7-20.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

It's funny but I've gotten to the point where I go out of my way to pay extra for great indie movies (like Double Edge Films' Ink, for which I paid $50 just to give them extra money for their creativity) while I refuse to buy a bluray for more than $15, and it better be a movie that really wowed me, and that I would want to see multiple times if it's from Hollywood...

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to analog andy

said by analog andy:

Now having said I download I don't do it too much as I'd rather hit up pawn shots and get dvs' for $2.99 and Box Sets from $7-20.

So you'd rather pay others to steal your movies for you?

Marbles_00

join:2005-02-14
Hamilton, ON

said by IamGimli:

said by analog andy:

Why would you say that? Did he say anything about buying stolen movies? No he didn't. They could have been previously viewed movies for a discount.
Expand your moderator at work

hairspring

join:2007-11-23
Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Stewy

Re: Canada prepares for crackdown on downloaders

You could always say you were running a Tor exit node at the time.

Someone has to help out insurgents in dictatorial states. Unfortunately that means someone could use your goodwill for more nefarious purposes, like downloading copyrighted material.

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to Stewy

You can still rent or borrow a DVD and rip it to your hard drive via dvd decrypter....

PavelWalker

join:2012-12-04
reply to Stewy

I received an interesting email regarding this from my provider (TekSavvy) this morning.

Once you get past all the "we take our customers privacy seriously" BS:

TekSavvy will do everything in its power to protect its customers. However, we must comply with all court orders requiring us to disclose the personal information of our customers.

PavelWalker

Here is the link they sent me:

»www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksavvy···n-canada

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to Stewy

Can anyone recommend a good VPN service? I've heard witopia is pretty good.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Marbles_00

said by Marbles_00:

said by IamGimli:

said by analog andy:

Why would you say that? Did he say anything about buying stolen movies? No he didn't. They could have been previously viewed movies for a discount.

Because it's a well-known fact that the great majority of DVDs, CDs and other such items found in pawn shops come from break-ins. The untraceability of such items make it a very attractive item for thieves, in large numbers.

PavelWalker

reply to Dones

I use Fast VPN: »www.fastvpn.me/

Very happy with the service and support.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to IamGimli

The DVD's and CD and other items I buy from pawn shops passed the required wait period and are legal. If someone lost them because they were stolen from that person that's not my problem.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Stewy

Buddy of mine have both often joked, that we make back up copies and then store them at each other's place in case of you know fire or something dreadful.

Honest your honour, I owned all of these films, and then one day there was this horrible fire, and I lost the whole collection. Fortunately my buddy had my back up collection at his place.

Sadly though, he lost all of his back up copies in my fire, he was not happy about needing to copy them all over again.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to PavelWalker

said by PavelWalker:

Wow, this guy must hard up to troll our threads to post this drivel.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to PavelWalker

said by PavelWalker:

Maybe you should discuss your success on the Teksavvy forum. there is a thread about the copyright topic over there now.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to Stewy

If anyone is interested I have a private server and run Openvpn with out any logs and issue keys for myself family and friends I might be able to offer up keys for the right monthly fee lol

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

said by DanteX:

If anyone is interested I have a private server and run Openvpn with out any logs and issue keys for myself family and friends I might be able to offer up keys for the right monthly fee lol

I'll give you 1 cookie every month.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09

That better be a pot cookie or no deal LOL

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Stewy

> People should think twice about downloading.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but it isn't downloading that gets you into trouble.

----> It's ****UPLOADING****

Uploading is something that you normally do as a by-product when you obtain material via BIT TORRENT. You are helping to make the material available to others. That's the point of the distributed availability model that is BT. And it's the "making available" part that gets you into trouble with rights-holders.

I want to hear these same people (media monitoring companies) discuss their plans and their business model when it comes to file-lockers and usenet.