uniqs

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to cp

Premium Member

to cp

Re: Is it possible to live near the city in a DECENT apartment?

You should look for an "owner lived in" 2 flat instead of some apt. block run by some half-ass management company. It would have better upkeep and the owners will most likely be older people with jobs who aren't partying at all hours.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

My parents and I lived in apt all of our lives til I was in HS. There is always going to be a issue. Actually first one wasn't bad. Neighbors were nice, close knit. We had fun with the other kids. But this was in the late 70's we'd prob be living there all our childhood if it wasn't made into condos.
But all subsequent apt had their share of problems. Loud people, fighting spouses. Jerk off neighbors. Til my parent bought a house.

When my then GF now wife got a apt. We rented once only it was for a good 6 years, but they were getting pricey and again had same issues, loud neighbor, fighting couples. Even jerks taking my paid parking spaces. Once we were expecting we decided to get a townhouse. It was nice living in your own place with your own garage. Thankfully the place was build right! I couldn't hear our neighbors at all. I could barely hear the garage door opener. In the end each rental will have its' issues, but count on loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors. I think Jon's advice is good. Look for a 2 flat with the owner living in it. But be forewarned the owner might think you are too loud.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5

Premium Member

said by Warzau:

I think Jon's advice is good. Look for a 2 flat with the owner living in it. But be forewarned the owner might think you are too loud.

When we had our 2 flat (with "garden apt") in logan square, we basically had "don't be a dick" written into their lease agreements. We were lucky though and had great tenants. And any issues with the apt. would be resolved in a day or two. Some times less, sometimes more depending on the scope of the repair of course. It was a 108 year-old building so it had some issues.

One of my wifes best friends owns a 2 flat (with "garden apt") in Addison mall. I can ask her if she needs a or will need a tenant if you want and can put you in touch with her. She does have 2 pits and a pug, if that's an issue. They're sweet dogs. She works for "Found Chicago" and volunteers for Bully breed rescue. I think she has a couple of cats too. So it's a very pet friendly place as well.