Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·MTS

What budget software do you use?

Hi all,

After using excel forever to manage the home budget, I am looking at what would be available out there that would enhance the usability.

For example, I'd like to find something that can make use of bank access for transactions, collate for tax and is easy to use.

Lots to look at »personal-finance-softwar ··· ews.com/ , with Acemoney on top, however I would like to get your input on what you use and how simple / easy you find it.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
yeah I need something like that too. can Acemoney pull your info from the net?

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to mazhurg
I use Intuit's mint.com. It's not perfect, but it works for my needs.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to mazhurg
Intuit's Quicken. Been using it since 1990.

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
reply to mazhurg
»www.gnucash.org/

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to MichelR
said by MichelR:

Intuit's Quicken. Been using it since 1990.

Yea, I'm also using Quicken... 2007 I think. Been using it since then and it reconciles with my downloaded bank data quite well. It has fancy features that predict my life's overhead and all that, works great and easy to use.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·MTS
reply to CyberCam
Looks interesting - I will give this a try.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to mazhurg
mint.com

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to mazhurg
hm tiring the mint.com it's not bad pretty easy to understand and nice layout.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to MFido
said by MFido:

mint.com

Td and some other banks don't allow sharing passwords with site like this one. I think CIBC allows it. Or it RBC?
But you are comfortable then go for it.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
TD works fine with Mint.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

1 edit
Looks like you are correct.

I sent the same question to Ellen Roseman from Toronto Star and she replied...she also said that it works.
So checked with others and found TD has some issues with this.

Ellen dont use it NOW for "some issues". Did not specify what but this may be one. I have to check the agreement now if this is true.

" if a TD Canada Trust customer provides his or her login information to a third party (including Mint.com) then this action would violate the customer’s Financial Services Agreement with the bank."

She gave me this link

»www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/ ··· ngId=312

Financial Aggregation Services: Risk of disclosing online banking information

Consumers should be aware that if they disclose their online banking information to any other party, including financial aggregators, they may risk losing their protection against unauthorized transactions. Some financial institutions' user agreements clearly state that users will be responsible for unauthorized transactions if they provide other parties, including financial aggregators, with their passwords and account information.

Consumers should also read the financial aggregator's privacy policy to understand how their personal information is stored and protected, including passwords and other financial data. These service providers may be located or storing data in foreign jurisdictions and may have security standards that are different from those of Canadian financial institutions'.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
what would they do about it? most they can do is lock your account on grounds of security and privacy not like they can take your money. all the banks should have this crap on their own sites by now.

TD's online interface stuff is not the best and lacks a lot of stuff.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by TOPDAWG:

what would they do about it? most they can do is lock your account on grounds of security and privacy not like they can take your money.

A third party drains your account. If you shared your login/password and account details with others you may be left holding the bag.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
well being as the site can't move your money and it's been around for years I'm not that paranoid. Also that should fall under fraud protection. people have their accounts cleaned out all the time and hardly ever are they held responsible.

I'm not worried.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to mazhurg
I don't care what assurances of privacy and security I'm promised, I really don't get why people put private financial information on a 3rd party website. Maybe it's just me? I've never been a fan of the "cloud", never will be! Data, particularly private stuff, stays at home on my hard drive.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

people have their accounts cleaned out all the time and hardly ever are they held responsible.

If you have given someone else your account number and password the bank would likely hold you responsible. It would be the same as if I handed my bank card to someone and gave them the pin number. It would be considered my fault if they drained the account.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to ArthurS
so you've never ordered anything online before? Hell why even do online banking you could have a versus on your PC recording all your key stocks and lose your banking info that way. Like I said mint has been around a long time and has many users I'm not worried.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by TOPDAWG:

so you've never ordered anything online before?

Big difference between consolidating all your financial info in one place vs. making online purchases from various sources, don't ya think?
said by TOPDAWG:

Hell why even do online banking you could have a versus on your PC recording all your key stocks and lose your banking info that way.

Because banks are legally bound to keeping your information confidential. Duh!
said by TOPDAWG:

Like I said mint has been around a long time and has many users I'm not worried.

Careless attitudes like this are the issue here. Just because they have been around for a while and have a bunch of lemmings joining in on the fun doesn't make it a safe place to store such information. What's to prevent them from selling your info to the highest bidder? Money talks, corporate interests don't give a damn about your privacy.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
well I'll lock up my bank account. I know they're looking at my info. I'm sure they do monster data harvesting like facebook does and sells it to the highest bidder.

Quicken all of the money programs do the same pull down your bank data. No right or wrong answer here just up to the person on what they feel comfortable with. What makes you think an insider in the bank you use is not selling all your info and the bank itself may be selling it. I mean what stops them form finding out where I live and coming tonight to rape me in the butt.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to mazhurg
Been using MS Money for over 15 years. It's discontinued now, but not obsolete. And it's free.

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=20738

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to mazhurg
said by mazhurg:

Looks interesting - I will give this a try.

I've used it for many years and I've tried many open source accounting software over the years. It's fully featured and rock solid for home or very small business.

If you need more power for your rapidly growing small business and you have or can get a linux server, then »www.xtuple.com/postbooks is your best solution. The main database is installed on the linux server and the clients can be install on Windows, Linux or Macs desktops and all clients GUI interfaces are the same, so going from one platform to another is the same experience!

It's free open source for the PostBooks Edition (until you scale up to Standard Edition, Manufacturing Edition or Enterprise Edition). Here's a comparison between the different editions »www.xtuple.com/comparison

There's even a Quickbooks converter to convert your QB database over to PB. I have been using xTuple PostBooks for 3 years now and have implemented it on about 12 of my customers! Bottom line is everyone is very satisfied with it!