share rss forum feed

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

1 edit
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: Verizon is using Sandy as an excuse to force people to FiOS

said by PhoenixDown:

nothing00 -- you really are missing it and I dont believe I can do a better job of explaining to you why you are wrong.

I guess we're not communicating then. Because there are a few "uber FiOS" posters who are clearly wrong. I haven't seen anything that doesn't agree with the two arguments I highlighted above.

This isn't about fiber vs. copper. There's no comparison and I mistakenly used "copper" earlier to refer to POTS service. People have jumped in comparing these two technologies and confusing them with two completely different deployments. I don't care about POTS per-se. It's the high availability attribute of it that's of most concern and missing in the replacement deployments. (Which the backup is part of.)

And in the link I posted above, others have noticed this as well. The thread started about forcing people from POTS to FiOS (or Freedom Essentials) and the really big difference is that granny, in a 12-hour power outage can't call for help.

Edit: A personal anecdote. In all of the years I had POTS service I experienced about three cumulative days of being unable to use the phone. In all of the years I've had FiOS (SIGNIFICANTLY less!) I've been unable to use the phone for about 21 cumulative days.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Being someone who was without power for 18 days because of Sandy, I wish I had waited a week to switch to Fios.
At least I had my old corded phone, because when I went to a neighbor's house and plugged it in, it let me call some people to tell them I was okay.
Thank god for old people who don't want the newest technology.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to nothing00

We have addressed it, repeatedly.

Just because granny is on fiber and loses power does not automatically mean if granny was on copper she would still have service, that is and will be forever an incorrect assumption and conclusion.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

And "Lifeline" service is supposed to have moved to cellular anyway. It's why we're giving away a billion dollars in "free" cell phones a year.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to danclan

said by danclan:

We have addressed it, repeatedly.

Just because granny is on fiber and loses power does not automatically mean if granny was on copper she would still have service, that is and will be forever an incorrect assumption and conclusion.

By addressed it you mean people have put forth their opinion as fact and had decided they make decisions for everyone?

Thanks for boiling it down. It does look like we agree on something. There is no 100% reliable network - stuff happens. What we aren't agreeing on is how reliable and available for the end user the nation's critical infrastructure should be.

With all of the inherent improvements that fiber brings that you've cited you somehow feel it's okay for the our future infrastructure to be less reliable than it is today. Between advances in technology and all of the money that we spend on it, shouldn't we instead expect a more reliable network than technology allowed for 50 years ago?

I'd really love to hear your reasoning on why not.

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

I've got 2 things technologies thats might satisfy you:

#1. Place all POTS lines in liquid nitrogen to make them superconducting. not very practical.

#2. Scientists are working on this holy grail Hypothetical material known as a super conductor at room temperature. brb its in my time machine

Im here not because fios is "cool". Nor am i just slightly passionate about technology. technology is my life. Im here with 3 yrs of physics + double major in computer science and applied mathematics to share with you that fiber is our best viable technology currently available that im aware of. And that in totality it is more reliable. really sorry you went 21 cumulative days without fios phone. sincerely im sorry but it seems theres not much i or anyone else can really do for you. I think you can probably find more useful real world problems to address.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by chomper87:

Im here with 3 yrs of physics + double major in computer science and applied mathematics to share with you that fiber is our best viable technology currently available that im aware of.

If it's so great, why has Verizon decided that the vast majority of its customers will never get Fios?

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

I cant defend Verizons business descions. I dont work for them - even though they offered me a job, i chose to work elsewhere.

But faced with the tremendous growth and demand in 4G/LTE and the immense profits associated with wireless, thats what Verizon is doing. same as ATT.

Both companies do some questionable things such as lobby for laws to prevent a community or municipal based network.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

In NJ, Verizon lobbied for a state-wide Fios franchise. They got it, then proceeded to NOT wire most of the state.

danclan

Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

said by Bob4:

In NJ, Verizon lobbied for a state-wide Fios franchise. They got it, then proceeded to NOT wire most of the state.

To answer both your questions: Wireless. They would rather invest in that than continue to run ground lines and replace the last mile. It makes sense to the customer, IF you can deliver the wireless speeds and service, otherwise its just a cash grab.

I would rather see us as a nation have 100% fiber than the hodge podge of whats in play today. I feel for those who will be stuck with copper/coax for the next 25 more years, and can only hope wireless services truly take off.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Can wireless really provide the TV plus 50/8 Mbps low-latency Internet that the cable company provides?

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by Bob4:

Can wireless really provide the TV plus 50/8 Mbps low-latency Internet that the cable company provides?

I don't believe they will offer it like that, the predictions are that Ala cart TV and On demand will take over as subscription based TV dies a slow death so you basically pay as you go or only get one channel at a time.

I have a hard time seeing this as being practical with millions of devices attempting to wireless stream unique channels, but there maybe some clever person who is thinking of or thought of that solution already.

I for one prefer my hard line and will until im forced to abandon it.