All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
amd7674
join:2007-02-19
Nepean, ON

amd7674

Is it end of docsys 2.0 modem era in Ottawa?

Apparently Rogers told them docsys 2.0 modems won’t be supported anymore. I’m in Ottawa (Fallowfield POI).
Also they refused to grandfather my old paln I had with 3web (32.95) and want me to go on $43.95 18mb plan.
I was told I was on 5mb plan, even though I was on 18mb/512kb profile….
Basically they gave me a week before my service will stop working WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My in-laws had some major issues with their docsys 2.0 modem (Motorola 5120) with Teksavvy 18mb service (there were down for almost 2 weeks) on St.Lurent POI, it only worked on Fallowfield POI.
At the end Rogers exchanged modems and gave them another docsys 2.0 modem (Motorola 5101N)… I talked to them and he said there are thousands of customers still using docsys 2.0 modems in Ottawa.
Why would Rogers rep give them docsys 2.0 modem if they were retiring docsys 2.0 support?

Is TSI and Acanac doing the same to their customers in Ottawa???? Will my in-laws in need to upgrade too???

Or is this just CHEAP/BS attempt to increase my monthly bill??? Maybe their cleaning up old accounts and are using this as BS excuse…

If that is the case I might be going to TSI (since they are finally in Ottawa, 3web use to be the only player in town)…

I didn’t like Distributel rep attitude at all … They apparently were JUST told by Rogers about this…. Yeah right…..
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Rumour is that Distributel might be moving to the aggregate POI. If true, it's possible they can't grandfather you.

I know I haven't heard anything from Start about it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Red isn't permitting any D2 modems on TPIA speeds higher than 6Mbps for new installs, moves or changes. Existing customers that don't change anything will be grandfathered on their current speed. At least from the cable side, obviously no idea what the ISP's policies are/will be, but that's what Red did a little while back.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

I thought Point 3 of the cover letter for TN29 from Rogers says D2 modems for the older 18, 28, and 32 plans would be 'accepted' for TPIA new installs, until April 16, 2013 (as well as 6M of course). This was to allow you to use up your D2 inventories.

Or is this 'proposal' in TN29 contradicted by something already passed earlier?

I was wondering why ACANAC had already cut off their D2 modems for new installations; well, they said no more SB5100's or SB5101's.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I should have qualified, that policy takes effect next April.
rocca

rocca to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

I was wondering why ACANAC had already cut off their D2 modems for new installations; well, they said no more SB5100's or SB5101's.

That's a different issue, those modems are no longer certified as of a couple months ago.

jasmo34
~ London ~

jasmo34

said by rocca:

said by jasmo34:

That's a different issue, those modems are no longer certified as of a couple months ago.

Oh, OK. So, the "N" version, still accepted, is that much newer or different?

Cable internet modems... can't wait to join in the fun... someday!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

Oh, OK. So, the "N" version, still accepted, is that much newer or different?

Correct. As for how different it is from a technical standpoint, that I don't know, but from a registerability standpoint it's night and day. One can be registered, the other can't.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by jasmo34:

I think those modems were dropped from the official list something like 12-16 months ago.

Doing some research, here's were it was noticed (September 2011):
»SB6121 offically supported on Rogers

And a thread from about the same time where you can see a listing of all Docsis 2 modems on the list at that time:
»Cable modem list quite abit smaller now

After that change, when it came to SB5100, SB5101, and DPC2100, there seemed to still be a lot of wiggle room. That ambiguity seems to have been removed this fall (maybe August?).

Extrapolating a bit, I think Rogers used to give a very long list of modems based on anything Docsis 2 they'd ever used themselves, plus Docsis 3 modems that were specially requested by a TPIA. At some point I think a TPIA asked that the SMCD3GN be added, and shortly after that Rogers dropped all those Docsis 2 modems that had been automatically included. The list was then only modems that were specifically requested by a TPIA. In fact, that big change in September last year might have been a reaction to having to allow the SMCD3GN

Of course that's just a general sketch.. For example, the SMC 8014 gateways were off then on then off again, and maybe even back on one more time before the big cull of models in September 2011.

To be 100% clear about how things are going forward, I take it that for new accounts, Docsis 2 modems are actually technically allowed for any speed service (6, 18, 28, and even 32) until April 2013. At that time, Docsis 2 modems will only be allowed on new 6mbit accounts. Meanwhile, existing accounts will be grandfathered for the foreseeable future. Is all that correct? It is kind of important that I get it right!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

To be 100% clear about how things are going forward, I take it that for new accounts, Docsis 2 modems are actually technically allowed for any speed service (6, 18, 28, and even 32) until April 2013. At that time, Docsis 2 modems will only be allowed on new 6mbit accounts. Meanwhile, existing accounts will be grandfathered for the foreseeable future. Is all that correct? It is kind of important that I get it right!

Yes, that is my understanding.

jasmo34
~ London ~

jasmo34

Good summary, and clarifications. (of course, 'proposed tariffs' can yet change).

The only reason I'm even involved, other than just watching the silly incumbent tariff games, is my relatives's brand new unused SB5101N sitting on his shelf, that was originally destined for use with Acanac Cable 12/18 here in London. Too late for that now!

Acanac's modem list only shows the SB5101N for use on their 8M plan with Cogeco. I don't think they have any other D2 modems on their list now.

MAYBE they might still let him on 18 (at least until April 16), since it was bought on their recommendation. Or I might just have to convince him to try 'another provider'; one further down in the alphabet!

Hey TB... Are you and mlord going to rent a VW mini-bus, and go on tour fixing cable modem firmware?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Thanks rocca!

Pretty strange though. It is just bizarre that they've allowed Docsis 2 on 28mbit and 32 mbit accounts. And it is a little depressing that there won't be any middle ground tier between 6/256 and 25/2 to make good use of Docsis 2 modems. I mean, if consumer demand (at least among my frugal customers) drove the available speeds we'd have choices more like this:
6/512
12/1
25/2
50/4

Oh well..
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

Hey TB... Are you and mlord going to rent a VW mini-bus, and go on tour fixing cable modem firmware?

Bicycle only, sorry

However, my rig for flashing is now a lot more portable. I used to use this to power the flash chip:

And now just this:
»dx.com/p/dc-4-40v-to-dc- ··· r-126108
(with the power brick from the modem as input source)

I still need a laptop, so it is still way bigger than mlord's, but at least it is a little portable now
LostTheGame
join:2012-11-24
Ottawa, ON

LostTheGame to amd7674

to amd7674
Legacy 3Web customers will eventually have to be moved over to Distributel and their associated plans. The existing plan was grandfathered ages ago, pre-Distributel; DOCSIS2 isn't dead yet; but it will be eventually. In order for the upgrades to take place (and make sense) TPIA customers would have to move to D3 tech. Why would a reseller pay for an aggregated AND disaggregated network at the same time? It's highly illogical, inefficient, and in all TPIA cases, not affordable.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to amd7674

Anon

to amd7674
Everything is busted in Ottawa. Dsl, cable internet, dial-up you name it it's busted. Switching from a docsis 2 modem to a docsis 3 will do absolutely nothing. The connections will still drop and disconnect ad infinitum.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by ChuckcZar :

Everything is busted in Ottawa.

I can count the issues I've had in over 10 years with Cable internet in Ottawa on one hand.