spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amd7674

join:2007-02-19
Nepean, ON

Is TSI cutting off docsys 2.0 modem support in Ottawa?

Distributel in Ottawa said they are on December 6. At least their customers. I wont' be able to use Motorolla 5120 anymore, which worked fine on 18mb/512kb profile. My in-laws (with TSI 18mb servcie) after being 2 weeks down got recently docsys 2.0 modem from Rogers 5101N. Will they have to buy docsys 3.0 modem now.

TSI please advise....

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Might as well move to DOCSIS 3.0 modems anyways and take advantage. DOCSIS 2.0 has pretty much ended its life cycle.
Plus in a few more years you'll be looking at DOCSIS 3.1 anyways, and I expect DOCSIS 2.0 modems will be pretty much extinct by then.
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

1 recommendation

reply to amd7674

Is this a complete stop on support, or selling of Docsis 2 modems?

We do ourselves promote the D3's a future proofing yourself, but are still supporting & selling the D2's.

I've not heard that we'd stop selling D2 modems. Although it's not really a bad thing as D3's are backward compatible with sCable, rCable & vCable.

As for cCable, no d3's at this time.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

sounds like a sound business decision to Stop selling d2s at the least, and send out mailers to customers with d2 modems, letting them know they May not get Optimal internet experience with a d2 modem kinda deal P:) the more d3 customers u have the less congestion yes?
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

said by morisato:

sounds like a sound business decision to Stop selling d2s at the least,

Yes, probably. D2 modems at $75 are a really bad value nowadays.

said by morisato:

the more d3 customers u have the less congestion yes?

It is complicated, but no, not really.... For 6mbit/s service, there is really no reason at all to go D3. Not for the provider, not for the customer, just no reason. For 18mbit/s service, D3 makes sense for the provider, because balancing the network is a lot easier. For the customer on 18mbit/s service, D3 makes sense if peak speeds during peak hours is important to you.
--
electronicsguru.ca

amd7674

Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Martin

it is a complete stop on support and service for docsys 2.0 modems with 7 days heads up... take it or leave it kind of a deal. My plan had been a grandfathered account with 3web (before distributel takeover), I paid 32.95 for 18mb/512kb , now they are asking $43.95 for the same service + I will have to buy some unknown docsys 3.0 modems for $99... grrrrr

said by TSI Martin:

Is this a complete stop on support, or selling of Docsis 2 modems?

We do ourselves promote the D3's a future proofing yourself, but are still supporting & selling the D2's.

I've not heard that we'd stop selling D2 modems. Although it's not really a bad thing as D3's are backward compatible with sCable, rCable & vCable.

Martin

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

sounds like a sound business decision to Stop selling d2s at the least

IMO if they were gonna do this, it should have been done a year ago.

D2 is old and really the $25 difference in modem cost is not that bad.... I'm sure TSI makes a decent profit on them, as others sell them for less. so ditch the D2 modem, sell the D3 modem for a few bucks less and everyone is happy for the forseeable future and not be stuck with boat anchors....
--

amd7674

Nepean, ON

said by HiVolt:

said by morisato:

sounds like a sound business decision to Stop selling d2s at the least

IMO if they were gonna do this, it should have been done a year ago.

D2 is old and really the $25 difference in modem cost is not that bad.... I'm sure TSI makes a decent profit on them, as others sell them for less. so ditch the D2 modem, sell the D3 modem for a few bucks less and everyone is happy for the forseeable future and not be stuck with boat anchors....

I don't have any issues with this. I can spent $99 on a new D3 modem... technologie changes... etc..

It is 7 days short notice and taking away my old grandfathered plan... grrr....

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

Cogeco never fails to be bad. They've started rolling out D3 in parts of their cable network in some areas of Ontario but it amazes me how far behind they are.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to amd7674

I am not saying force all d2 customers to buy New Modems, But at least Stop selling them to people, and Stop Activating D2s all new singups on d3 would be a Decent start and when a d2 modem dies it dies they have to get a new d3, Thus not forcing anyone into a buy until a death occurs of the device.
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

said by morisato:

I am not saying force all d2 customers to buy New Modems, But at least Stop selling them to people, and Stop Activating D2s all new singups on d3 would be a Decent start and when a d2 modem dies it dies they have to get a new d3, Thus not forcing anyone into a buy until a death occurs of the device.

I guess I'll just explain where I'm coming from for a second. There are lots of customers interested in saving a few dollars on a new install for reasons of need, frugality, and environmental consciousness. A big portion of my income comes from serving that market by buying scrapped DCM425s, repairing a design flaw, and selling those modems to new TPIA cable customers. There is no technical reason at all for this to stop on 6mbit/s accounts.

I think we'd agree on one thing, it is a little crazy that they are still manufacturing new DCM425s and selling them for $75. In other respects, I can't help thinking your perspective is a little off.. Typical for our modern consumer society, and expressed often on these boards, but really unfortunate in so many ways.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Montreal DSL

join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

I guess I'll just explain where I'm coming from for a second. There are lots of customers interested in saving a few dollars on a new install for reasons of need, frugality, and environmental consciousness.

I think we'd agree on one thing, it is a little crazy that they are still manufacturing new DCM425s and selling them for $75. In other respects, I can't help thinking your perspective is a little off.. Typical for our modern consumer society, and expressed often on these boards, but really unfortunate in so many ways.

+1

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom :

In other respects, I can't help thinking your perspective is a little off.. Typical for our modern consumer society, and expressed often on these boards, but really unfortunate in so many ways.

Well said!

--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

amd7674

Nepean, ON
reply to amd7674

I'm back with TSI (for better or worst )... I ordered 28mb service along with DCM476.

I just hope all my old referrals will be accapted from my previous DSL account if I ever come back to TSI (as Rocky promised they would)

Perma

join:2011-12-20

1 edit
reply to amd7674

vientito1

join:2009-01-09

I see no reason why they can't take it back if the package was not even opened!

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

more i would prefer to see D2 go to the wayside d3 is better even at low bandwidth for the provider and node, health I understand you make Money thats fine, i just want us to move forward asap into higher speeds and maybe in the process our providers will grow a brain p:) heh so we don;t have the highest internet prices ever from Incumbents..
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by morisato:

d3 is better even at low bandwidth for the provider and node, health

I wonder why you think so, because it simply isn't true at all under 10mbit/s.
--
electronicsguru.ca

ArthurWinslo

@rogers.com

It isn't even true at all under 30 mbit. Don't get me wrong, D3 is nice to have but I can tell you now, we've had modems in testing for years getting well over 30 mbit (the D2 modems max out at a touch under 36 mbit) which isn't bad considering each docsis downstream channel is limited to 38mbit in North America.

It's amazing the kind of figures that people conjure up on here. Yes you can say D3 will utilize it's 4-8 downstream channels (4 or 8 depends on the make and model of modem you have) but these lanes of available bandwidth are not utilized until you go past the 38mbit mark. And to top it off, the network has 12 different downstream channels for it's modems to connect to which permits more than enough availability for older devices to get full throughput.

Let us also acknowledge that there are people on Rogers as well as other tpia's that had their D2 modems at one time provisioned at 25/1 28/1 and are still using them til this day without a problem. So again, the only purpose in going to D3 is if you want a higher than 38mbit tier connection.

Hopefully this post doesn't get filtered like some of the others I've made trying to clear up confusion on bbr.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Or if you want to avoid congestion, and have a solid connection Sure docsis 2.0 can do 38 meg but would it not work much better if u had 4 lanes running @ 9-10 meg a second so as to avoid congestion? and i would imagine the same can be said at 6 meg docsis 3 can use multiple channels for the 6 meg meaning u need much less thruput to actually work in a highly congested situation.
--

arthurwinslo

join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

morisato, How do I put this.. Having more available downstream channels is more optimal than having 1 as long as you are provisioned to a tier that would utilize the bandwidth accordingly.

You need to understand that the congestion you experience on the network isn't solely due to how many people are connect to a given downstream channel but due to how much data is being hammered through the pipe serving the nodes in your area. Having 4 lanes to drive on won't matter much when you're stuck in traffic.

morisato

Oshawa, ON

but it sure is better than being stuck in one lane it means u can drive 4 cars at a time and carry 4 times as much as if you only had 1 car, thru the traffic
--

arthurwinslo

Toronto, ON

I can't tell if you're trying to troll or not.

It's more than obvious you lack fundamental knowledge of how networking works nor would I expect you to understand how the network you're on typing this message to me is set up.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Or perhaps Your forgetting how Bittorent works, using Very simmilar principles to Multichannel In Cable, More connections running at slower speeds allows u to saturate your connection, rather then attempting to run 1 connection at a high speed. and My analogy is Correct, 1 Van on a highway moving 5km/h carrying 7 people is 7 people travelling Put 4 Small Cars on the Highway carrying 3 People Each at the same speed and You get 12 People to Your destination In the same span of time as the Van Instead of 7.
--

arthurwinslo

Toronto, ON

The scary part is you actually believe what you're saying here.

All the data passed through your cable modem is going through one gateway. Regardless if you're on 1 channel or dividing your bandwidth into 4 separate channels, you're still limited to the amount of overall throughput that you are provisioned to pass through that gateway [which I have stated in my 2 posts above will not be utilized on the given low tier you may be provisioned at].

Having more available downstream channels does not multiply the amount of bandwidth you have access to. I don't understand how this is so hard for you to grasp.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

I never said it did, But having more channels Does increase The sustainability as My example Shows In a Congested situation Plus as with everything in computers You never get The Theortical maximum of a specification, 100baset can push 10 megs a second, In perfect conditions, Sure but to get it reliably You would upgrade to gigabitethernet, Wifi is the same wireless g can push 54Mbps right? So why would i need faster wifi to push a mere 30 mpbs? Maybe because all things equal Except in a controlled enviroment with no leakage of other signals its not going to happen. So you get wireless N to create a More Sustained high speed. so SURE docsis 2 is Theortically Capable of 38 Mbps, Realistically will it do that in the real world and not in a Lab? Doubtful.
--

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
reply to arthurwinslo

I think the point is, during heavy use periods on the local cable segment, a user is less likely to have congestion issues if their modem has a choice of upstream channels.