uniqs
share rss forum feed
« QIP7100STB Exchange question »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · next

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to nascar

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

There's a lot that Verizon could add to the basic HD channels (not the premium movie or sports channels, that is) that other carriers provide. Just to add....my wife loves to watch shows on Headline News and the last time we re-upped with Verizon a few months ago all I heard was "they're going to add HLN HD, right? Comcast has it....why can't Verizon?"

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to nascar

What I'd really like to see are the 2 Starz subchannels which are offered in HD but not provided (Starz Cinema, my most desired Starz, unfortunately, and Starz In Black), a couple of Showtime subchannels which are not provided -- all of which we should be entitled to if we're already paying for the Starz & Showtime packages....

I'd also really like Sundance (which, at least back when I had it on Time Warner has lots of indie stuff that's not really shown anywhere else...not sure if that's still the case), BBC World News HD, which they do carry in SD (the local Time Warner franchise just started carrying the SD & HD version of this), and Ovation HD (not a frequently watched channel, admittedly).

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Yes, I would go for BBC World News in HD, they have a different spin on the world. Then H2: History2 HD, and, of course, TCM:Turner Classic Movies HD as said previously. If only they could free up the space then we could start to really be in HD heaven.
--
VHO8

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to nascar

TCM HD does NOT air any HD content.

How many times must this be said? TCM HD does nothing that your set top box or your television cannot do to TCM SD. Take a standard definition source and upscale it to 1920x1080.

Turner has high definition masters for many of their movies but they refuse to air them on the American version of TCM HD. The American TCM HD has never aired a single movie in high definition.

Only the European TCM HD channel airs movies in native HD. Why do the Europeans get a native TCM HD? It is a mystery. Perhaps they have better regulation, or a smarter population that actually knows what high definition is and won't be fooled just because the network adds HD to its name.

That is why TCM HD would be the biggest waste of space Verizon could add - because there is nothing "HD" about it. And I don't want Turner getting any carriage fees for the HD feed of this lazy, half-assed 24/7 upscale channel from Verizon subscribers. They don't deserve them, and it's a shame that other companies like Time Warner and DirecTV are rewarding Turner for this fiasco. The movies aired on TCM deserve better treatment than they're getting in America.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to nascar

Any updates on TVG-HD 694?

WebCobbler

@verizon.net

Yes, I agree. Any updates on TVGUIDE HD? The rest of us were suppose to get it by this date. According to reps, and the PDF channel guide. I have a link to it , if people want.

It states that the HD channel will be in all markets in Feb 2013.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

Today is the last day of February, another missed deadline

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Last word I got was by the end of 1st Quarter 2013...But that is still subject to change.

I posted this in mid January...

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to nascar

Please take away the TV Guide channel and add the rest of the Center Ice channels. So infuriating that a package that expensive is still not showing more than half the games in HD.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by nfotiu:

So infuriating that a package that expensive is still not showing more than half the games in HD.

And yet you still pay for it. Vote with your wallet and tell VZ you're not subscribing until all the games are in HD.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to nfotiu

9 Center Ice channels in HD.

said by nfotiu:

Please take away the TV Guide channel and add the rest of the Center Ice channels. So infuriating that a package that expensive is still not showing more than half the games in HD.

MURICA

reply to nascar

I'd just like the TV Guide channel in the first place.

What the hell is taking them so long to add it to VHO5?

Expand your moderator at work

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar

There's nothing on the TV Guide Channel, you're not missing anything.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by Greg2600:

It doesn't matter, we should have had it

WebCobbler

@verizon.net

I agree with you there, matcarl.

We should have the channel. Other VHOs have it. Why not VHO5 and 7 ?

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

You know, I wonder what would happen if Verizon added another .TV channel everywhere but in VHO5.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

I am still waiting to see HLN HD and CBS Sports HD.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to matcarl

said by matcarl:

said by Greg2600:

It doesn't matter, we should have had it

Sorry Mat, but I can think of at least a dozen other HD channels we should have before TVGuide.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Well, his point was that TVG was added to all VHO's except NYC-market (5 and 7). Which is a valid point, and continues the mystery of why it is SO difficult for Verizon to make ANY channel maneuvers, big or small.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by Greg2600:

...Which is a valid point, and continues the mystery of why it is SO difficult for Verizon to make ANY channel maneuvers, big or small.

As a long time member here I'm surprised you even raised this question. The one thing we know VZ is reliable at is talking forever with ANY kind of change.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
reply to nascar

We don't have TVGuide HD here in VH08?

Acct101
Premium
Bensalem, PA
reply to Nezmo

It's amazing how much Verizon has become like the way Comcast used to be.

MURICA

reply to nascar

I'm amazed that Verizon even managed to deploy fiber to the home in the first place. Never before have I seen this much bureaucracy in a company.

Looking over at AT&T reveals that even though their infrastructure is shit, they have done an impressive job of keeping pace in other technological fronts which don't involve the actual physical infrastructure.

The U-verse TV service would be a lot more impressive than FiOS if it weren't constrained by copper. It's way more reliable, has a lot more HD channels than Verizon, has a good IPTV interface. AT&T deploys new HD channels on a regular basis, nationwide at the same time.

AT&T just has two deal breakers of course. They charge an arm and a leg for U-verse and the picture quality is horrifying.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by MURICA:

AT&T just has two deal breakers of course. They charge an arm and a leg for U-verse and the picture quality is horrifying.

But other than those two very, very minor points - because who cares about price and PQ? - it's better than FiOS.

And I'm not sure where you live, but FiOS is easily the most reliable and best quality service in my area. Trust me, I've tried them all. Would I like a couple more HD channels? Yes, although FiOS currently carries just about everything I watch in HD. What I don't want is them cramming too many HD channels into their spectrum, leading to garbage PQ like AT&T and Comcast offer.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

"And other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

MURICA

reply to bsangs

said by bsangs:

said by MURICA:

But other than those two very, very minor points - because who cares about price and PQ? - it's better than FiOS.

Exactly.

If AT&T's U-verse service was delivered over Verizon's fiber optic lines it would be a 100x better than the crap Verizon is giving us now.
Expand your moderator at work

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Well, his point was that TVG was added to all VHO's except NYC-market (5 and 7). Which is a valid point, and continues the mystery of why it is SO difficult for Verizon to make ANY channel maneuvers, big or small.

Maybe they are waiting to batch this channel add with some other(s)?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by sbernstein5:

said by Greg2600:

Maybe they are waiting to batch this channel add with some other(s)?

Perhaps -- and maybe due to the existing channel load in these markets the add for TVG will have to be in MPEG4? Although for my area it's part of all packages but Select, and we've only been able to confirm that they're providing the upgrades to the MPEG4-capable STBs for Extreme and Ultimate -- anyone with just Prime want to check to see if they qualify for the free STB upgrade?