uniqs
share rss forum feed
« QIP7100STB Exchange question »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · next

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to Steve3

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

said by Steve3:

Are you fricking kidding? Another .tv channel? Like the other ones are that popular. What a waste of space.

If I'm reading the quote from the AVS forum correctly, we'll be getting two .tv channels in HD (RLTV is really RL.TV).

CNN International HD is a nice addition. The others - not so much. They must be getting them for real cheap or something and being able to boast about more HD offerings at the same time.
Expand your moderator at work

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to Steve3

I wish it was a joke.

The TV Guide Network, another Byron Allen channel, and Retirement Living TV. That's what we get in HD from Verizon this year.

Fun facts: Verizon is still missing the HD feed for H2, OWN, GSN, the C-SPANs, FearNet, Fox Movie Channel, Sony Movie Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, G4, Hallmark Channel, Style, HLN, MTV2, NASA TV, NHK World, Ovation, Oxygen, Pac-12, Pentagon, PixL, Logo, Reelz, RFD, Sprout, Sundance Channel, TV Land, TV One, Epix 3, IndiePlex, MoviePlex, RetroPlex, Showtime Next, Showtime Women, beIN Sport, Hustler, Playboy... amongst others.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
reply to Steve3
Marketing 101, I guess. They figure most remaining prospective subscribers are clueless and can be swayed by "channel count". You know, "FIOS has more HD channels than .....". The quality (or cost) of those channels doesn't seem to matter.
Expand your moderator at work

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar

It's all contractual. Verizon often cannot add channel X before Y or Z. Also, again, there's NO indication CNN International will be added. Furthermore, before everyone has another cow, information I had was approximately FORTY HD channels would be added in the next few months. We've only heard of 4 confirmed (NHL Center Ice) and 2 rumored (RLTV and Legacy.Crap). So still expect 3 dozen more channels to come!

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Greg2600:

Furthermore, before everyone has another cow, information I had was approximately FORTY HD channels would be added in the next few months. We've only heard of 4 confirmed (NHL Center Ice) and 2 rumored (RLTV and Legacy.Crap). So still expect 3 dozen more channels to come!

Well now you've opened up Pandora's Box.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

It's all contractual. Verizon often cannot add channel X before Y or Z. Also, again, there's NO indication CNN International will be added. Furthermore, before everyone has another cow, information I had was approximately FORTY HD channels would be added in the next few months. We've only heard of 4 confirmed (NHL Center Ice) and 2 rumored (RLTV and Legacy.Crap). So still expect 3 dozen more channels to come!

It's not April 1st yet is it?

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to MURICA
said by MURICA:

I wish it was a joke.

The TV Guide Network, another Byron Allen channel, and Retirement Living TV. That's what we get in HD from Verizon this year.

Fun facts: Verizon is still missing the HD feed for H2, OWN, GSN, the C-SPANs, FearNet, Fox Movie Channel, Sony Movie Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, G4, Hallmark Channel, Style, HLN, MTV2, NASA TV, NHK World, Ovation, Oxygen, Pac-12, Pentagon, PixL, Logo, Reelz, RFD, Sprout, Sundance Channel, TV Land, TV One, Epix 3, IndiePlex, MoviePlex, RetroPlex, Showtime Next, Showtime Women, beIN Sport, Hustler, Playboy... amongst others.

+ Starz Cinema, Starz InBlack, Sundance

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar
Did he actually complain there's no Playboy or Hustler HD? Who in their right mind would pay for that stuff when it's free on the web!

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by Greg2600:

Who in their right mind would pay for that stuff when it's free on the web!

You know this how? LOL

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
said by matcarl:

You know this how? LOL

Heard it on the grapevine.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to nascar
how long is it going to take Verizon to switch all current HD channels over to MPEG-4?...not just new channels or the least popular ones but the ones people actually watch?...hopefully they can at least start with the premiums as I would love to see HBO's new season of Game of Thrones (starting March 31) with native MPEG-4

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
said by TitusTroy:

...I would love to see HBO's new season of Game of Thrones (starting March 31) with native MPEG-4

Can you tell the difference?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
said by Nezmo:

Can you tell the difference?

probably not but it will be better so why not get every last bit of detail out there...I will be able to tell if they can substantially increase the bit rate

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to TitusTroy
said by TitusTroy:

how long is it going to take Verizon to switch all current HD channels over to MPEG-4?...not just new channels or the least popular ones but the ones people actually watch?...hopefully they can at least start with the premiums as I would love to see HBO's new season of Game of Thrones (starting March 31) with native MPEG-4

The question you should be asking is "how long will it take for Verizon to eliminate transcoding again?"

Not all channels are broadcast in MPEG4.

MURICA

reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Did he actually complain there's no Playboy or Hustler HD? Who in their right mind would pay for that stuff when it's free on the web!

Did he actually complain that there's no H2 HD? Who in their right mind would pay for that stuff when it's free on the web!

Internet Pro Tip: You can pirate most of the material that is aired on the channels that Verizon is missing. Including A&E/History content that is aired on H2. So I guess Verizon shouldn't add H2 then because we can just get their stuff for free on the web!

Just because you can pirate it doesn't make it right, or more convenient, or as good of quality as the HDTV feed.

Last time I checked not all Playboy or Hustler owned content was available for free in high definition quality on the Internet and most of the stuff that is available freely is made available as a result of copyright infringement. Playboy and Hustler's websites require a paid subscription.

nlk10010

Great Neck, NY
Of course Greg can speak for himself but I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that he wasn't talking about pirating content; rather that content which, uh, shall we say, "serves the same general purpose" is all over the web.

But I wouldn't know anything about that.

If I'm wrong then I apologize.

MND32

@verizon.net
reply to nascar
Hold up - there is a discussion going on about the value of Playboy/Hustler HD? A. I can't understand who in their right mind would continue to subscribe for that "entertainment" when its pretty much one grade above cinemax. B. How about spending the monthly subscription on a real life partner or a divorce attorney if your life is that boring that you need this monthly. - Back on topic - why the recent push for MPEG4 instead of converting everything to IP?

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar
The primary reason is that MPEG-4 is not a huge technology leap/change from what they have now. It's just a different compression format. Most of the HD hardware accepts it, much of the HD channels are sent to VZ in it, and it clearly offers savings in QAM space. Not to mention it doesn't cost them much to do it.

MURICA

reply to MND32
said by MND32 :

Hold up - there is a discussion going on about the value of Playboy/Hustler HD?

Yes, there is.

Playboy/Hustler HD are 1,000x more entertaining than "EntertainmentStudios .TV" and "Retirement Living TV." That's the point we're all getting at. Anything would be better than these channels.

nlk10010

Great Neck, NY
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

-snip-
So still expect 3 dozen more channels to come!

That sounds great until we find out there are 3 dozen .TV channels we don't know anything about.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar
I read on the Verizon forums someone said there is actually ANOTHER .TV channel Byron is coming out with called Justice Central.TV, and of course Verizon is adding it.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to nascar
It's unfortunate how Verizon is really falling behind in terms of basic technology. Directv started using MPEG4 when I had them...over 5 years ago. And Verizon still doesn't support DVR's with more than 2 tuners. Other companies like AT&T have had these for years.

MURICA

reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

I read on the Verizon forums someone said there is actually ANOTHER .TV channel Byron is coming out with called Justice Central.TV, and of course Verizon is adding it.

So there's going to be 8 now?

quote:
Justice Central .TV, which also is carried on AT&T U-Verse, features court shows produced and distributed by Entertainment Studios, including America's Court with Judge Ross, We the People with Gloria Allred, Justice for All with Judge Cristina Perez and the studio's newest court show, Supreme Justice with Judge Karen.

"Court programming is the second highest-rated genre on daytime television, and JusticeCentral.TV is the only 24-hour HD court and legal news network," said Byron Allen, founder, chairman, and CEO of Entertainment Studios in a statement. "Our goal and commitment is to make JusticeCentral.TV the premier legal television news network."
Vomit.

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
said by MURICA:

said by Greg2600:

So there's going to be 8 now?

quote:
Justice Central .TV, which also is carried on AT&T U-Verse, features court shows produced and distributed by Entertainment Studios, including America's Court with Judge Ross, We the People with Gloria Allred, Justice for All with Judge Cristina Perez and the studio's newest court show, Supreme Justice with Judge Karen.

"Court programming is the second highest-rated genre on daytime television, and JusticeCentral.TV is the only 24-hour HD court and legal news network," said Byron Allen, founder, chairman, and CEO of Entertainment Studios in a statement. "Our goal and commitment is to make JusticeCentral.TV the premier legal television news network."
Vomit.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

bull3964

@verizon.net
reply to Mac973
said by Mac973:

It's unfortunate how Verizon is really falling behind in terms of basic technology. Directv started using MPEG4 when I had them...over 5 years ago. And Verizon still doesn't support DVR's with more than 2 tuners. Other companies like AT&T have had these for years.

Name one other traditional QAM MSO who's even close to implementing MPEG4.

MPEG4 was a necessity for sat providers as they got hit by the bandwidth crunch far sooner. Sat subscribers are also far more accustomed to assuming more of the cost of their equipment themselves which facilitated the changeover.

If you want to talk about falling behind, Comcast in my area wasn't even doing digital/analog simulcast as late as 2009.

MURICA

said by bull3964 :

said by Mac973:

Name one other traditional QAM MSO who's even close to implementing MPEG4.

Some of Time Warner Cable's really niche channels like ESPN 3D are MPEG-4.

bull3964

@verizon.net
said by MURICA:

Some of Time Warner Cable's really niche channels like ESPN 3D are MPEG-4.

They aren't available in all Time Warner markets though. I believe Verizon is the first to embrace MPEG4 across their whole market and for some fairly mainstream stations (with some of those movie channels.)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to bull3964
Cox has implemented MPEG-4 for all HD channels in the Plus Package, and all digital channels will be moved to MPEG-4 later this year.