share rss forum feed
« QIP7100STB Exchange question »
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · next

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Greg2600

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

said by Greg2600:

Oh my what an utter WASTE of an HD slot.

not as much of a waste as the .TV channels.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to miataman

I am glad to see that there is another HD channel being added ( hopefully to all VHOs soon and not just in 6 ) , but it is def better than what they could have added to the linup. but that's not my point.

Anyway, my question is : if they can add TV Guide HD, why not start with H2 in HD?

It's just IMHO , But I believe that H2 HD was , or is in more in demand from customers than TV Guide in HD.

But that is just my 2 cents.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar

TVG HD makes zero sense. Most of it's programming is old SD-only TV shows. Newer shows such as Curb and Weeds are heavily censored. It's so poorly watched that owner Lionsgate has been trying to sell the network since January.

Verizon swears it adds channels based on customer requests and viewership numbers. This channel fails both tests!

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Almost all the HD channel additions are based on contractual language with the content providers - so some less popular networks get added first.

Noles92

@graduateschool.edu
reply to Greg2600

By any objective standard there are many more worthy prospects than TV Guide HD:

H2 HD
HLN HD
CBS Sports Network HD
Lifetime HD
Crime & Investigation HD
Cooking HD
G4 HD

jodhak

@rga.com

FuelTV and beIN Sports should be added due to their constant live sporting events...

any channel with popular live sporting events should be available in HD ..

its a joke not to have those channels available in HD..

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Almost all the HD channel additions are based on contractual language with the content providers - so some less popular networks get added first.

That's what I figured, but how does that explain CBS College and Crime & Investigation being "added" then reneged?

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

A PR person jumped the gun before the ink was dry....Things change.

Webcobbler

@mycingular.net
reply to Noles92

I hope DIY HD gets added ASAP. It's 1080i, and I watch it almost everyday. The same thing goes for H2 in HD. For me at least.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

TVG HD makes zero sense. Most of it's programming is old SD-only TV shows. Newer shows such as Curb and Weeds are heavily censored. It's so poorly watched that owner Lionsgate has been trying to sell the network since January.

Verizon swears it adds channels based on customer requests and viewership numbers. This channel fails both tests!

Please. As you know, Verizon lies through its teeth. I can safely say that I will offend no one on these boards (and virtually no one not on these boards) when I echo the sentiments of others that TVG is an absolute waste of an HD slot. The only conclusion one can draw is that Verizon either looks for the cheapest way to add to its "HD lineup" or that this add was necessary in order to get a more popular channel down the road.

Steve3

join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Maybe, with the addition of the TV Guide Channel in HD, it will round out the .TV channels, to have channels no one cares about in HD, and waste space. Hopefully, other channels will be added to compensate.

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

1 edit

TV Guide Channel HD is located on 339 MHz (QAM Channel 43) and is currently the only channel in this slot. The vacancy was created when MAV TV HD (to be dropped January 1, 2013) and Hallmark Movie Channel HD moved to new QAM slots in 3 to 1 channel mapping.

New 3 to 1 channel mappings:
* QAM Ch. 37 (303 MHz): 598 MavTV HD, 696 E! HD, 896 Epix 2 HD
* QAM Ch. 52 (393 MHz): 650 QVC HD, 668 Destination America HD, 739 Hallmark Movie Channel HD

New channel additions:
* QAM Ch. 43 (339 MHz): 694 TV Guide Channel HD

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar

Are you certain that's the same network? I don't think the Spanish Sony network is. And I don't think they can just dub in the audio like you infer, can they?

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to nlk10010

said by nlk10010:

or that this add was necessary in order to get a more popular channel down the road.

I think that's the answer...sometimes providers mandate that certain less popular channels get added in addition to the bigger channels in the license agreement...otherwise smaller channels like TVG HD would find it hard to make deals by themselves

Betamax76

join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Are you certain that's the same network? I don't think the Spanish Sony network is. And I don't think they can just dub in the audio like you infer, can they?

I stand corrected. Sony Movie Channel and Cine Sony Television run completely DIFFERENT schedules. Therefore, a new QAM slot will be used when Sony Movie Channel debuts.

Fios already takes advantage of the second audio program (SAP) with several of the Spanish channels in the 1500 to 1700 range. For example, TBS is on channel 52 in English and on channel 1502 in Spanish and both map to 447 MHz. The video is exactly the same for both channels; only the audio is different thanks to the second audio program.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

Does the 3 to 1 QAM MPEG channel mapping mean FiOS is re compressing MPEG2 channels?

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by icemannyr1:

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

But then the older boxes wouldn't work

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to icemannyr1

said by icemannyr1:

Does the 3 to 1 QAM MPEG channel mapping mean FiOS is re compressing MPEG2 channels?

1. No, they are doing 3 to 1 on those services that have low enough bit rates as provided from the service to do 3 to 1 (i.e. AMC).
2. Again, it depends on the delivered bandwidth, but likely 3 to 1 (or even more) if they are in MPEG4.

Bottom line: Verizon does not reduce bandwidth for the feeds they receive but simply pass them on as they receive them.

El Buey

@sbcglobal.net

I guess I'm the only one that watches Blackbelt TV. Excellent kung fu movies. The MMA stuff sucks, though.

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

said by El Buey :

I guess I'm the only one that watches Blackbelt TV. Excellent kung fu movies. The MMA stuff sucks, though.

I watch the kung fu movies too.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

LOL. Youtoo is complaining that Verizon is dropping them to make room, read this:

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···p/140730

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

said by matcarl:

LOL. Youtoo is complaining that Verizon is dropping them to make room, read this:

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···p/140730

Sounds like life in the big bad world of business. If the channel had a product that subscribers wanted, it wouldn't be dropped by any provider (and note that Verizon is not the first to drop the channel). Honestly, I don't even know where this channel is on the lineup.

When you're unhappy that your product isn't selling, lobby your lungs out, because apparently your product isn't good enough to gain viewership on its own after
rebranding" since 2011.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to matcarl

And don't forget to stop by Youtoo's "FiOS Keep Youtoo" site for a chance to earn points and win an iPad mini!

»www.youtoo.com/fioskeepyoutoo

Looks like Youtoo is pulling out all the stops to try and save themselves. They know that once they get dropped from Verizon they might have to shut down after already dropped from Charter and Cox last year.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to nascar

While I'm not happy about losing a channel that COULD (repeat COULD) one day be a TechTV kind of network, I just don't see that ever happening. The programming it has is horrible, and the concept of putting the viewer into the TV, or whatever that is, just makes no sense. That ship has sailed. It's called YouTube. If this guy's channel were any good, Google would have sued it already for infringing on the YouTube name.

Lastly, Mr. Wyatt, bandwidth with Verizon is actually NOT an excuse!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

And don't forget to stop by Youtoo's "FiOS Keep Youtoo" site for a chance to earn points and win an iPad mini!

They lost my support when they started to air the Xfiles episodes in 70 minute spots (aka 10 extra mins of commercials).

Sayonara ...

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to chitchatjf

Here in VHO7, I do not see the TVGuide Channel HD on 694.

Besides those in VHO6, does anyone else recieve this channel yet?

Thanks

FiosTV1080I

join:2010-09-06
united state

Not as of yet in VHO 5, I heard it's supposed by dec 21st according to a customer service rep. Is there any other HD channels to follow?

Webcobbler

@verizon.net

Thanks for the update. I interperate that to mean that the channel will be availiable nationally by that date. Let's just hope that the CSR is accurate , not BSing.

I hope that there are more HD channels to follow. I am wishing for DiY in HD, as well as H2 in HD.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Webcobbler

We have it in Hampton Roads -- VHO9a, at least it is in the Guide, I can't remember if I tried tuning to it or not.

celticpride

@verizon.net

we got tvguide HD channel 694 on vho3 so cal. on saturday. my wife recoded the cee lo concert .