uniqs

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

[Business] IPv6 Availability

Well, considering there has been zero communication for business customers I thought I would try and ask again about Native IPv6 for business customers.

The last time this was asked, yes this is somewhat of a rant, we were told that it was do to making sure that everything was "perfect" before rolling out to business customers to ensure there were no issues. Well, given the latest speed upgrade and ongoing fiasco for business customers, I no longer see the stance of making things "perfect" before a roll out, or at least beta testing for those of us wanting it and understanding there could be hiccups, as being a credible reason.

So, what is the status of IPv6 for business customers at this point?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I am curious about this as well, in light of the fact that I now have the Netgear device, which although not listed as supporting IPv6 on the supported modems list, should support native IPV6.

*edit* and honestly, I'm very unhappy with this speed upgrade thing, too. I know ComcastDJ See Profile and jlivingood See Profile were helping drive this, but that was when it appeared to be a modem config issue (which we now know it's not). Don't mean to derail your thread with this, but wanted to point out I am also not very happy with how that has been handled.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Don't worry about derailing, I am in the same boat as you on that.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
I was reading the Comcast IPv6 site: »www.comcast6.net/

And I do not understand this because there's no clear information on HOW to use IPv6 with Comcast.

1) How do you know if your area has IPv6?
2) If your area does have it, and you have the correct modem and an IPv6 device, how do you use it? Just plug it in?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by joako:

You can try configuring for it and see if it works. Or you can look around the forum some. One of the Comcast folks who posts here can take your cable modem MAC address and check to see if IPv6 has been deployed on your local equipment. See: »Re: [IPv6] My router doesn't work over IPv6
said by joako:

2) If your area does have it, and you have the correct modem and an IPv6 device, how do you use it? Just plug it in?

What I did here for native IPv6 on my m0n0wall router is this:

On the router WAN interface set IPV6 mode to DHCP.

On the router LAN interface set IPv6 mode to DHCP-PD,
Set IPv6 Prefix Delegation to 0/64,
Enable IPv6 Router Advertisements with Managed Flag.

Your computer(s) must have their IPv6 stack enabled and set to receive router advertisements. How this is done varies with OS.

The nomenclature will vary from router to router, but should be similar enough to be able to get it right.

If native IPv6 is not deployed in your area yet, you can still use IPv6 with a Tunnel Broker such as Hurricane Electric or maybe an IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel using a Comcast gateway if they are still enabled in your area.

A Hurricane Electric tunneled IPv6 setup has the benefit of static IPv6 address assignments, but it is tied to your IPv4 address which may be dynamic. If it changes you will have to update that endpoint at Hurricane. There are automated tools that can do this for you, they too vary with OS.

Good luck.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Is a router required? Wouldn't a Windows 7 PC with default settings work with IPv6?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I suppose so, but I don't know all the details of how.
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

derekivey to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I'm still waiting too . I keep checking that mydeviceinfo site and the SMCD3G still doesn't have a check in IPv6 .

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to graysonf

MVM

to graysonf
Well, I did try tcpdump'ing for ipv6 traffic, but did not see an RA packets. But that doesn't surprise me since the Netgear doesn't have any IPv6 info in it's network information page.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

So, what is the status of IPv6 for business customers at this point?

The status is that if you are a business class customer with a dynamic IP account, and you are using a standard cable modem, or an SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode (I don't know about the new Netgear gateway), and if you are connected to an Arris CMTS, you should get native IPv4/IPv6 connectivity.

C:\>netsh int ipv6 show addr
Querying active state...

Interface 26: Local Area Connection 2

Addr Type  DAD State  Valid Life   Pref. Life   Address
---------  ---------- ------------ ------------ -----------------------------
Temporary  Preferred    2d19h18m9s    23h52m19s 2601:5:c80:91:493d:2c4:6e8d:1572
Public     Preferred    2d19h18m9s   2d19h18m9s 2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:b69d
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:b69d

Interface 5: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd

Interface 2: Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::5efe:192.168.9.100

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface

Loopback   Preferred      infinite     infinite ::1
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::1

C:\>ping www.comcast.net

Pinging a1526.dscg.akamai.net [2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b: time=37ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b: time=31ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b: time=31ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b: time=30ms

Ping statistics for 2001:559:0:501::48f6:2d1b:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 32ms

The above examples are from a Windows XP SP3 workstation behind a D-Link DIR655 and Motorola SB6121 (I have also tested the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode in combination with a Netgear WNR1000v2).

Here is the netsh IPv6 information from my Windows server. Note that it does not show the "Temporary" IPv6 address because it does not use DHCP for its LAN interface (I have IPv6 disabled on its WAN interface because otherwise I would have problems with dual IPv6 gateways):

C:\>netsh int ipv6 show addr
Querying active state...

Interface 5: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd

Interface 4: Local Area Connection

Public     Preferred    2d19h3m17s   2d19h3m17s 2601:5:c80:91:e291:f5ff:fe95:beac
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::e291:f5ff:fe95:beac

Interface 2: Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::5efe:174.49.12.155
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::5efe:192.168.9.2

Interface 1: Loopback Pseudo-Interface

Loopback   Preferred      infinite     infinite ::1
Link       Preferred      infinite     infinite fe80::1

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

And I do not understand this because there's no clear information on HOW to use IPv6 with Comcast.

What would you like to see to help out with this?
said by joako:

Take a device what supports DHCPv6 and plug it into the cable modem to see if you get an IPv6 address. IE Windows Vista, Windows 7, or the latest version of Mac OS.

Or ping me via PM with your cable modem HFC\RF MAC address and I will check on this for you.
said by joako:

If you use IE Windows Vista, Windows 7, or the latest version of Mac OS directly behind the cable modem you would be good to go.

If you have a router you will need to check for DHCPv6-PD support and enable it. Do you have a router?
NetDog

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by pflog:

Well, I did try tcpdump'ing for ipv6 traffic, but did not see an RA packets. But that doesn't surprise me since the Netgear doesn't have any IPv6 info in it's network information page.

At this time you would not see the RA's on the device you have.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Well, considering there has been zero communication for business customers I thought I would try and ask again about Native IPv6 for business customers.

PM NetDog See Profile with your info (modem MAC, modem make/model, service address). We'll add you to the list for January, when we expand from an employee-only trial for business customers. In some cases we may need to send you a new device but we'll handle all that.

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

jlivingood See Profile Does that apply to anyone or did you mean that only ropeguru See Profile should send a PM?

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

1 recommendation

jjmb to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Folks we are going to create a shared document that you will be able to enter your own information into so we can skip the data entry aspect of this on our end. Interested parties will enter their own information which Comcast can only see. This will make everyones life a bit simpler.

John
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

derekivey

Thanks! I'm definitely interested. I'll wait for the link to the shared document.
bclbob
join:2000-06-23
Oak Park, IL

bclbob to jjmb

to jjmb
Any update on the document, I would like to be considered

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
Standby I will get with JJMB on it and see when he wants to make it public.

DrDeke
join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI

DrDeke to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I would also like to be added to the list of business IPv6 trial applicants.
dwolf725
join:2002-06-10
Concord, CA

dwolf725 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
I'm also interested in the Business IPv6 trial.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Folks, if you want to sign up for the IPv6 trial that is fine. But would you please quite replying to me and use the correct reply button that is included in each post and reply to the fellow Comcast poster.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Folks, if you want to sign up for the IPv6 trial that is fine. But would you please quite replying to me and use the correct reply button that is included in each post and reply to the fellow Comcast poster.

That is the price you pay for starting a thread on this site. Many (if not most) posters on this site don't know (or care about) the difference between replying to a specific post and replying to the thread (which by default is addressed to the thread's originator). I blame this site's default flat/linear thread display theme (as opposed to a default nested scheme that is common on many other message boards/forums) for much of that confusion.

You can disable the reply email notification if you are being bombarded with email notifications for replies to this thread (I keep that option turned off precisely for that reason).

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
Just so it's been asked, does one have to have a business account?
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

Bill_F

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Bill_F:

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

It has been implied to me that even though I have a business class account, and my SB6121 has a business class config file (d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm), and I have fully functional native IPv4/IPv6 connectivity, that I don't really have business class IPv6 service.

It will be interesting to see exactly what jlivingood See Profile et al are talking about if/when the proposed shared document (which hopefully might also contain some documentation) is published.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to Bill_F

Premium Member

to Bill_F
There's probably 4 categories of customers:

Residential
Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
Business w/ non-HFC installation

The first two probably already have access to IPv6 if their area has been enabled, though which ones this would apply to, I do not know for sure, as I am behind the "wrong" CMTS...
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

Bill_F

said by AVonGauss:

1. Residential
2. Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
3. Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
4. Business w/ non-HFC installation

From what I understand, #1 and #2 cases already have dynamic IPV6, and probably won't get static. #4 probably also already has static I believe, especially since they get straight up metro ethernet now according to the 305 install thread.

So I think this only applies to group #3.

The next question is, does Comcast expect to have to replace everyone's SMCD3G modem to hand out static IPV6.
Since we don't have an answer on this yet, I am going to predict the answer will be yes. SMC has had plenty of time to upgrade the firmware...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
There is also another class of Business Class customers:

Business w/ SMC or Netgear (DHCP)

And a subclass of Busness Class customers using the SMC gateways who will almost definitely need a new "modem" in order to get IPv6:

Business w/ SMC8014 gateway (DOCSIS 2)
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Good point on the SMC 8014 (I still have a mental block regarding that device). I do think however the SMC / Netgear customers whether they are DHCP or static are probably in the same category.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
The trial coming up is geared to users with a CCR modem. If you have business class service with a modem that has been approved for IPv6 look here under the IPv6 tab: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net ··· 1&sc=619 then you should be good to go (if your on an enabled CMTS).

If you have business class service with a CCR modem it is not setup yet. I am also not sure about SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, I have not tested that so I cant say yes\no to it.