uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ropeguru

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

Folks, if you want to sign up for the IPv6 trial that is fine. But would you please quite replying to me and use the correct reply button that is included in each post and reply to the fellow Comcast poster.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by ropeguru:

Folks, if you want to sign up for the IPv6 trial that is fine. But would you please quite replying to me and use the correct reply button that is included in each post and reply to the fellow Comcast poster.

That is the price you pay for starting a thread on this site. Many (if not most) posters on this site don't know (or care about) the difference between replying to a specific post and replying to the thread (which by default is addressed to the thread's originator). I blame this site's default flat/linear thread display theme (as opposed to a default nested scheme that is common on many other message boards/forums) for much of that confusion.

You can disable the reply email notification if you are being bombarded with email notifications for replies to this thread (I keep that option turned off precisely for that reason).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to NetDog
Just so it's been asked, does one have to have a business account?

Bill_F

join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Bill_F:

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

It has been implied to me that even though I have a business class account, and my SB6121 has a business class config file (d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm), and I have fully functional native IPv4/IPv6 connectivity, that I don't really have business class IPv6 service.

It will be interesting to see exactly what jlivingood See Profile et al are talking about if/when the proposed shared document (which hopefully might also contain some documentation) is published.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Bill_F
There's probably 4 categories of customers:

Residential
Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
Business w/ non-HFC installation

The first two probably already have access to IPv6 if their area has been enabled, though which ones this would apply to, I do not know for sure, as I am behind the "wrong" CMTS...

Bill_F

Huntsville, AL
said by AVonGauss:

1. Residential
2. Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
3. Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
4. Business w/ non-HFC installation

From what I understand, #1 and #2 cases already have dynamic IPV6, and probably won't get static. #4 probably also already has static I believe, especially since they get straight up metro ethernet now according to the 305 install thread.

So I think this only applies to group #3.

The next question is, does Comcast expect to have to replace everyone's SMCD3G modem to hand out static IPV6.
Since we don't have an answer on this yet, I am going to predict the answer will be yes. SMC has had plenty of time to upgrade the firmware...

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to AVonGauss
There is also another class of Business Class customers:

Business w/ SMC or Netgear (DHCP)

And a subclass of Busness Class customers using the SMC gateways who will almost definitely need a new "modem" in order to get IPv6:

Business w/ SMC8014 gateway (DOCSIS 2)
--

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
Good point on the SMC 8014 (I still have a mental block regarding that device). I do think however the SMC / Netgear customers whether they are DHCP or static are probably in the same category.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81
reply to ropeguru
The trial coming up is geared to users with a CCR modem. If you have business class service with a modem that has been approved for IPv6 look here under the IPv6 tab: »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so···1&sc=619 then you should be good to go (if your on an enabled CMTS).

If you have business class service with a CCR modem it is not setup yet. I am also not sure about SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, I have not tested that so I cant say yes\no to it.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
said by NetDog:

If you have business class service with a CCR modem it is not setup yet. I am also not sure about SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, I have not tested that so I cant say yes\no to it.

I had no problems with using the Comcast native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 with the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode with the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR IPv4 only firmware: »Re: [IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEP

The only problem I had with my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode was that some Comcast CSRs would routinely do a factory reset on it and take it out of bridge mode (supposedly because Comcast management told them that they had to do that on any SMCD3G-CCR that they found to be in bridge mode). It did not take too many of those resets before I gave up and purchased an SB6121 (actually I first tried to lease an SB612x, but Comcast could/would not do that).
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Just keep on calling and they'll swap it. Another problem with the bridged SMC is you can not access the diagnostics.
--
PRescott7-2097

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by joako:

Just keep on calling and they'll swap it.

Actually, at one point, Comcast did dispatch a tech to my office who was supposed to swap the SMCD3G with an SB612x, but when he arrived he did not have that information on his work order (he had been told only that he needed to test the SMCD3G and the connection), and he did not have any SB612x modems on his truck or back at the local office either. He did have a beatup looking SMC8014 on his truck, but I refused to even consider that swap since it would not be able to support IPv6 even in bridge mode (although at least its static mso password would have allowed me to put it into bridge mode myself). I was billed $99.95 for that boondoggle (I refused to pay it, but that is another story).

said by joako:

Another problem with the bridged SMC is you can not access the diagnostics.

Yes, I am aware of that problem, but at least the CSRs who needed to reset it for testing would usually put it back into bridge mode themselves (or call for tier two support to have them do it). It was the marketing driven lackeys who were obviously trying to force me to pay for a static IP block in order to get what they called bridge mode who forced me to abandon using the SMCD3G in bridge mode.
--

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
reply to ropeguru
I thought you had to have the SMC in routed mode to have static IP addresses. If not, that is very interesting news, as I have the SMC gateway modem, and was told to have a static IP range (which I do, and need) it was my ONLY choice. I hate that, as I have a Cisco ASA at my front end, and it can do most routing protocols, and both IPv4 and IPv6 if I can just get native dual stack access.

So is there any way to have Static IP's on business class without that SMC?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by WB3FFV:

I thought you had to have the SMC in routed mode to have static IP addresses. If not, that is very interesting news, as I have the SMC gateway modem, and was told to have a static IP range (which I do, and need) it was my ONLY choice. I hate that, as I have a Cisco ASA at my front end, and it can do most routing protocols, and both IPv4 and IPv6 if I can just get native dual stack access.

So is there any way to have Static IP's on business class without that SMC?

To my knowledge, that is the only way. Comcast uses authenticated RIP (specifically they use the Quagga client in the SMC gateways), and they are not likely to give the key to a customer. It is "safe" on the SMC (and presumably the new Netgear) gateways because only Comcast has access to that part of the router.
--

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
That was my impression as well, why RIP, who knows. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that needing that, precludes being able to run the SMC in bridge mode, so of course no IPv6 for us yet..

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by WB3FFV:

That was my impression as well, why RIP, who knows. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that needing that, precludes being able to run the SMC in bridge mode, so of course no IPv6 for us yet..

Actually, I have used the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode and had no problems with Comcast's native IPv4/IPv6 dual stack: »Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

Of course, that did require me to stop using the /29 IPv4 block that I had been using. For my applications, I get by just fine using the five DHCP assigned IPv4 addresses that Comcast allows for business class accounts. I use DynDNS, and they support IPv6 using the internal client in my D-Link DIR655 router (that client allows updating multiple DynDNS hostnames with their associated IPv6 LAN IP addresses).

FWIW, you can see a diagram of my network at »www.dcs-net.net/image/DCS-networ···gram.gif (I won't imbed it in this post because of the usual moans and groans I get when I do that).
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to NetFixer
Couldn't you get the 8014, login as mso to the webpage and get the RIP key?
--
PRescott7-2097

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by joako:

Couldn't you get the 8014, login as mso to the webpage and get the RIP key?

Possibly, but it has been a while since I had access to an SMC8014, and I don't remember seeing an html menu for setting up RIP (and even when I did use the old mso login, Comcast did the static IP setup, and I only logged into the SMC8014 for troubleshooting purposes when necessary for the VAR for whom I was working). As I recall the RIP setup is done from a telnet session, and there is a special Quagga authentication (not the same as the mso credentials) needed to access the imbedded Quagga client. When I did PEN testing on my own SMCD3G-CCR, it was easy to find the Quagga telnet interface, but I still could not do anything with it without the Quagga credentials, and my intent with the PEN testing was to make sure that there were no easily accessed backdoors to my network, not to hack into the SMCD3G for my own purposes).

I also suspect that even if a customer somehow obtained the key, and was able to install a Comcast compatible Quagga client in their own *nix router, that as soon as some Comcast audit discovered it, that customer's static IP block (if not their service) would be terminated. As I previously mentioned, it was random audits that triggered Comcast to reset my SMCD3G-CCR from bridge mode back into gateway mode on multiple occasions (even though it was Comcast CSRs who had put it into bridge mode for me).
--

bclbob

join:2000-06-23
Oak Park, IL
reply to NetDog
So are we making the document accessible, or should I just PM details. I'm pretty sure I have the SMCD3G modem with a /29 subnet.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru
We are working on a webpage for people to submit the data. But right now I am just saving the people that PM me their info. I need an email address, name, MAC Address of cable modem

Bill_F

Huntsville, AL
Is there anything you can tell us about what to possibly expect next month when the testing begins?
Do you think we will need to have our SMCD3Gs replaced?
Its getting pretty close to January so I would think if the SMC was anything close to working yall would know about it by now.

I need to start looking to alternatives for my DDWRT router since I hear DD-WRT doesn't properly support certain IPV6 protocols yet...

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by Bill_F:

Is there anything you can tell us about what to possibly expect next month when the testing begins?
Do you think we will need to have our SMCD3Gs replaced?
Its getting pretty close to January so I would think if the SMC was anything close to working yall would know about it by now.

I need to start looking to alternatives for my DDWRT router since I hear DD-WRT doesn't properly support certain IPV6 protocols yet...

Your current SMC CCR wouldn't be replaced but we would upgrade the firmware to test software.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
Do you have any idea of when those of us on Cisco uBR10k's will be able to dabble with IPv6?

Kind of sucks that those of us on the Cisco 10k's a) can't get IPv6 and b) have connections that don't work properly on the new 17/3 and 27/7 boot files (at least from what I can gather with the limited # of data points).

Why is the Cisco so broken compared to other CMTS equipment? Is it just harder to configure or are there technical limitations to it causing slowness in IPv6 enabling and proper "capped" powerboost boot file handling?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to NetDog
Well, this is interesting. Stumbled upon this thread in the official Comcast forums:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···3#M41965

The Comcast employee says:

WA is a Cisco CMTS area, so no CPE v6 is not supported yet.
Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project

This implies the Cisco CMTS isn't capable of v6 (or they don't want to update iOS to support it?) and that they will be replacing the hardware perhaps?

Geez, if those of us in Cisco CMTS areas have to wait for a whole new CMTS to be deployed, we could be waiting for v6 and a working capped PB boot file for months/years.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
FWIW pflog See Profile, that employee (Comcast Tuska) over there and NetDog See Profile here are the same person.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by EG:

FWIW pflog See Profile, that employee (Comcast Tuska) over there and NetDog See Profile here are the same person.

ah was not aware, thanks
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
No worries !

steve1515
Premium
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA
reply to NetDog
I have an SMC 8014. What would I need to do to get native IPv6? I'm currently using a HE tunnel.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

This implies the Cisco CMTS isn't capable of v6 (or they don't want to update iOS to support it?) and that they will be replacing the hardware perhaps?

It is a software issue, we are working on it.. This is from the comcast6.net website, "We are targeting completion of the rest of the network by mid-2013."