join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Regulations are best left to the states

The most incompetent regulator is the federal government.

I think regulation of the internet (particularly last mile ISPs such as Comcast or Verizon) should be left to state Public Utilities Commissions as they hold a de facto monopoly on broadband like water, gas, and electric companies hold a de facto monopoly on their respective industries.

I also think there needs to be more centralized regulation on siting of communications facilities where the state PUC should be the one with sole authority to regulate such sitings. Case in point is Cell Towers as the cell phone companies have to fight each city or town hall where they want to put up a new cell tower, even if they have a willing property owner such as a church who the cell companies will construct a steeple or willingly hide the equipment in an existing steeple. I sometimes think pre-emption of local regulations is a good thing and I think the cities and towns should be stripped of their authority to regulate communications towers and that authority given to a state PUC as people complain about that cell tower going up in their neighborhood and at the same time complain about spotty/no reception on their cell phones.

I would not mind regulators at the state level in Boston rubber stamping cell tower approvals for towers located in Springfield or the more affluent Longmeadow (MA) when a local city or town government would deny a cell tower permit. Sometimes local regulations are good and sometimes they create too much red tape (case in point, cell towers and decent reception).

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
People who hate cell towers make me laugh, Because they will say no to any transmitter in their town and then complain that they do not have 4g for their latest iDevice.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
said by Kearnstd:

People who hate cell towers make me laugh, Because they will say no to any transmitter in their town and then complain that they do not have 4g for their latest iDevice.

Yep... Of that I have no doubt...