cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to dennismurphy

Re: CT30 and 3M50 Remote Thermostats.

Can you translate those pictures? Those bars mean nothing without total furnace times and outside temperatures.
I am not saying that turning down the thermostat doesn't save energy (it does), but for at least an average insulation the savings with short duration setbacks are minuscule. The savings come when the house manages to cool down significantly for extended periods of time.
Again slightly O/T, but any half-decent humidistat can activate the blower when there is a call for humidification.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by cowboyro:

Can you translate those pictures? Those bars mean nothing without total furnace times and outside temperatures.
I am not saying that turning down the thermostat doesn't save energy (it does), but for at least an average insulation the savings with short duration setbacks are minuscule. The savings come when the house manages to cool down significantly for extended periods of time.
Again slightly O/T, but any half-decent humidistat can activate the blower when there is a call for humidification.

Correct on all counts. I do travel quite a bit for work, so if I can setback from 7:30-5 (while my wife isn't home), that's significant.

Even moreso, if I'm traveling (as I am this week), I can set the house to a low temp and turn it up when I land so it's warm when I get home.

For a house where we used to keep the thermostat at 68 all year, this is a game changer.

And you're right about a decent humidistat; unfortunately the previous owner of my house (I moved in a year ago) went cheap and put an in-duct manual humidistat that's essentially an on/off switch. I want more intelligence!

As for the app generating the report, that's just the Nest's web interface. I'm contemplating setting up MRTG or somesuch and connecting to the Nest API for some light reporting & analytics.