Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

It's that time of year again

Good ole OOL slowdowns.

Past several nights I'm clocking in at 26/0.3..... Yes, you read that right... 300 Kpbs.

I normally wouldn't notice nor care about decreased bandwidth during peak hours until I can hardly open my email and things start to look like they're taking forever to load.

Interestingly, my daughter was able to watch Netflix HD without an issue as I ran that speedtest. Left me with a big WTF mate.

Anyone else in The Bronx seeing this?

Seemsodd
@optonline.net

Seemsodd

Anon

If your daughter was watching Netflix with no problems while you were running a speed test, it seems most likely the problem isn't OOL but with the site you are testing to.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
If I'm reading OP's post correctly, his issue seems to lie with the upload. If that's the case, it would probably not impact a streaming (download) service like Netflix.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to tired_runner

to tired_runner
I've been seeing it too starting around 6:30-6:45pm. I contacted CV support and they said there are issues with the network due to line damage from Sandy. If I understand their reasoning, various nodes are overwhelmed due to insufficient bandwidth on the remaining cables. He looked up my account and said my area is scheduled for a major rebuild.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

I wonder what their excuse would be if Sandy didn't occur.

Seemsodd
@optonline.net

Seemsodd to limegrass69

Anon

to limegrass69
Opening email isn't affected by slow upload speed.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

I contacted CV support and they said there are issues with the network due to line damage from Sandy. If I understand their reasoning, various nodes are overwhelmed due to insufficient bandwidth on the remaining cables.

Not sure if I buy that. It's back to normal for me now at 6:46AM.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 edit

n2jtx

said by tired_runner:

Not sure if I buy that. It's back to normal for me now at 6:46AM.

My service is also back to normal in the morning and during the day too. In a way it makes sense. Not many people around during the day using their service. At night, everybody is on and the lack of bandwidth becomes apparent rather quickly.

It is getting rather annoying and if I do not see a nighttime improvement soon, I'll contact them again. Funny thing is FiOS is now an easy option. My old POTS line got knocked out during the storm and Verizon decided that rather than fix the copper line they would replace it with FiOS. The only thing it is providing is a dialtone for my landline but all the FiOS hardware is installed and can provide any FiOS service. All Verizon has to do is provision it.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

My only other options are Clear and Verizon DSL, neither of which appeal to be at present price points and value. But if this doesn't improve, I may walk as well. This is bullshit.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Fios has shown us that the whole 'cable is shared thus bandwidth/speed will get degraded' has really worn thin on most of us. Any ISP should be able to handle all its customers it signs up without any slowdown. Oversubscribing when this time of year rolls around really bites any cable ISP in the ass.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

tired_runner

Premium Member

Every residential ISP oversubscribes. It's the nature of the business. I wouldn't imagine it being cost-effective to reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for each customer at the current customer price points. Cablevision might be one of the fewer ISPs offering unlimited, un-metered service but that doesn't mean it costs them any less to provide that.

I'm just saying that they need to keep in check those abusing the local pipe. I'm aware of my generous upload speed capability, doesn't mean that I'm willingly going to use it all the time disregarding the potential impact on everyone else.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Upload speeds that low in the past, have to the best of my knowledge, not been due to congestion. I assume you have posted in the direct forum. When they occurred to me a year or 2 ago, they managed to fix it pretty fast after I posted in that forum.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I've been taking the wait-and-see approach. I know it will eventually go away. But if it doesn't in a couple days, I will post there.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Well, I rarely upload so I did not care as I was still seeing good download speeds (I only have standard). It went on for weeks before I posted. It was cleared up within 2 days after I posted.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I clocked in 48/7 just now, right around the time frame when the slowdown was happening. Guess it's fixed.

Woo yay

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce to tired_runner

to tired_runner
Screwed for me too.

Boy, I can't wait to see if the packet loss starts again.
said by Seemsodd :

Opening email isn't affected by slow upload speed.

It is if it's packet loss affecting the line, as I unfortunately have 2 years of experience dealing with.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

If you are on BOOST+ getting those speeds you need to call them and complain. They will fix it. Just call them every day it will get expensive to keep sending out trucks eventually someone will escalate it because the technicians don't work for free... cost them money, trust me it will get fixed.

Or you can post in the Optimum Direct forum.. give them your modem MAC address and let them try to see what is going on before sending someone out.

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce

I talked to CV so much I was sending e-mails back and forth with Wilt himself.

It got so irritating that when the problem was finally solved (at no thanks to anyone working on my situation), I never returned any calls with the supervisor I was talking to as I was just so exhausted with dealing with it on and off for TWO YEARS (and before that, 3 months straight) and was glad it was finally over.

This is why I have been so reluctant to start contacts again. I don't want to deal with it yet again.
DAOWAce

1 edit

DAOWAce to tired_runner

to tired_runner
Thanks to the storm and a ton of people home, the connection is now atrocious.

720p video streaming is actually impossible this time.

Give it a few more times before it annoys me to the point I force myself to start talking to people again. What a nightmare that's going to be.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Seems to be running fine over here.

Standard Tier:

frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to DAOWAce

to DAOWAce
said by DAOWAce:

Thanks to the storm and a ton of people home, the connection is now atrocious.

720p video streaming is actually impossible this time.

Give it a few more times before it annoys me to the point I force myself to start talking to people again. What a nightmare that's going to be.

You have been talking to people for months, just the wrong people. You could have contacted CV with less effort than all the posts you made in the past few months. Live chat support is nice when you don't want to be on the phone.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner to DAOWAce

Premium Member

to DAOWAce

It's peak time so I'm not surprised about the upload, but it's working ok otherwise.

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
said by frdrizzt:

You have been talking to people for months, just the wrong people. You could have contacted CV with less effort than all the posts you made in the past few months. Live chat support is nice when you don't want to be on the phone.

Live chat and even the direct forum here do nothing. Starting from the bottom of the pile when I have direct access to the top isn't a logical thing to do.

The only problem is that I really have an issue with speaking to people over the phone; but that's the only contact method I have, except for Wilt; though he just gets supervisors and the like to contact me, over the phone, so even that isn't an easy solution.

Ideally, I'd speak to someone via text methods, but the world is never ideal. This is why I say "until it annoys me enough".

Still; not like they're going to want to give in to a node split without a bunch of other people calling in from the same node. That's the only thing that needs to be done to resolve the issue; no more, no less. (Well, unless they can somehow add more bonding channels.. don't think that's possible right now)
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Are there 5 channels in your area? I don't really know my NJ geography very well.

Nodes are generally split based on usage stats, not call volume. Whoever you want to contact, it doesn't matter to me, but before aiming for someone that high when you haven't had an issue for an extended period of time prior to October when you started posting about it.

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce

There have been 5 channels in my area for at least a year now.

It's actually when those channels were added that my severe packet loss issues were finally resolved.

Internet was basically 100% advertised speeds at all times back then. Fast forward a year and a half and now it's become oversaturated to the point where 'peak times' cause me to fall below half avertised speed on busy days.

The connection becomes useless for streaming even 480p video on days where a lot of people are home, like the snowstorm yesterday.

Oversaturation and oversold nodes, what CV is known for. I'm better off than most people who've had speed issues, but it's still fairly bad on those days.
DAOWAce

2 edits

DAOWAce

Yet another night of poor speeds.

It's taken 46 minutes to buffer a 10 minute 1080p Youtube video; yay for actually counting something this time.

I'd try getting one of my family members to deal with calling, but I'm the one with all the information of everything that's happened in the last few years. *sigh*

Faster than 70% of the US.. how disappointing this country is. What a coincidence that I just got done talking about the country's high speed internet penetration.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

If you have someone call, whether there is a field issue, cmts issue, or contention issue, they'd set up an appointment. The rep doesn't need the whole story; a decent chunk of it is irrelevant towards addressing the current issue, especially for the guy on the phone. From my experience, most notes in the appointment history are not even read, just the codes used (slow speeds, docsis 3 modem). If it's evenings, tell them to schedule either a 5-8 PM or 2-5 PM if that covers it too, and make sure you ether are there for the appointment or briefed someone who will be there with the info. If the tech confirms an issue, they'll escalate to OSP.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Let's face it, Both Christmas and New Years Day slowdowns like this as DAOWAce points out is just how much cable internet in general is oversold and oversaturated...when most people are home at one time to use it.

Once tomorrow rolls around it'll be fine I bet.
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

He's been posting about that since October.
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY
ARRIS TM1602
Linksys WRT1900ACS

1 edit

Parth to DAOWAce

to DAOWAce
Mine started up again now too.