haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

iTunes 11 is out

quote:
New iTunes Goes to 11
NOVEMBER 29, 2012 AT 10:06 AM PT

It took a little longer than expected to arrive, but the latest iteration of Apple's iTunes is finally here -- albeit a month after it was promised.

Moments ago Apple released iTunes 11, the biggest update to the company's media software since it debuted more than a decade ago. A complete redesign of what began in 2001 as a simple music jukebox, the latest iteration of iTunes features tighter integration with Apple's iCloud service and iTunes Store and an iOS-inspired user interface that more elegantly incorporates the many elements that have been grafted and patchworked onto it over the years.

Gone is the source list sidebar, the not-really-mini-at-all mini player, Ping -- Apple's ill-starred social network for music, replaced by spartan horizontal source bar, a truly diminutive mini-player, and ... well, no social integration with the user library that I can see -- not with FaceBook, not with Twitter. Social integration in the iTunes Store remains the same as it was in iTunes 10. In other words, if you're looking for the social experience which Ping was intended to provide, you won't find it in iTunes 11. You can only tell people what music you're interested in on the iTunes Store, you can't tell them what you're listening to at the moment. .....

»allthingsd.com/20121129/new-itun···s-to-11/

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Cool! Can't wait till I get home to check it out!

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

quote:
New iTunes Goes to 11

It took a little longer than expected to arrive, but the latest iteration of Apple's iTunes is finally here -- albeit a month after it was promised.

Moments ago Apple released iTunes 11, the biggest update to the company's media software since it debuted more than a decade ago. A complete redesign of what began in 2001 as a simple music jukebox, the latest iteration of iTunes features tighter integration with Apple's iCloud service and iTunes Store and an iOS-inspired user interface that more elegantly incorporates the many elements that have been grafted and patchworked onto it over the years.

Gone is the source list sidebar, the not-really-mini-at-all mini player, Ping -- Apple's ill-starred social network for music, replaced by spartan horizontal source bar, a truly diminutive mini-player, and ... well, no social integration with the user library that I can see -- not with FaceBook, not with Twitter. Social integration in the iTunes Store remains the same as it was in iTunes 10. In other words, if you're looking for the social experience which Ping was intended to provide, you won't find it in iTunes 11. You can only tell people what music you're interested in on the iTunes Store, you can't tell them what you're listening to at the moment. .....

Just tried to update a windows version and it appears its not being offered yet via 'check for updates'
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 edit

said by dellsweig:

said by haroldo:

quote:
New iTunes Goes to 11

Just tried to update a windows version and it appears its not being offered yet via 'check for updates'

Apple Software Update caught it for me. Installing now.

Edit - update borked twice now. Going to reboot and try again.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to haroldo

On the front end, I hope the "playlists" are better able to handle non-music related media.

On the backend, I really really hope for better syncing options with iphones/ipads/etc.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

The iPad and iPhone Remote app has been updated too.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

Update failed three times for me using Apple Software Update. Tried downloading and installing manually and I'm now getting...

--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to haroldo

So if getting rid of the old menu paradigm and getting rid of cover flow (I miss it already!) is an improvement, then this is the best iTunes ever
--
♬ Music is life ♬

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

View sidebar

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
reply to darcilicious

No more cover flow! That's one of the main reasons I decided to make iTunes my music player.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to fourboxers

said by fourboxers:

View sidebar

No, show menu bar.

But seriously, this is what all the fuss is about? Bring back Cover Flow!
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to haroldo

Liking it so far. Little weird that there's only a sliver of a bar above the now playing box at the top of the window. The mini player buttons minimize/expand buttons are a little non-obvious.

But so far iTunes Match is working well, the Up Next stuff is very nice, and I think search is much better. Haven't noticed if the backend is improved, but I didn't think 10.7 was slow, so hard to tell.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never used Cover Flow and won't miss it one bit.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to haroldo

I honestly don't use iTunes that much anymore. At work, I use the phone to listen to music since I work with my hands and am up and about all the time. (Woohoo iTunes Math) At home, I run iTunes like a server to feed an AppleTV and occasionally an iPad.

When I am using iTunes, it's because I'm adding more media to the library or trying to sync an iOS device. The 'Automatically add to iTunes' folder a few versions ago really helped the former and now the new menu layout makes it much easier to do the latter, and the syncing logic appears to be better and more responsive. No more momentary freezes while it syncs multiple devices, and it will actually tell me what shows it is copying to the device instead of 'waiting for sync to finish' with no progress bar.

Now that they've divided the interface cleanly between Movies/Music/TV Shows/Syncing instead of having one big sidebar that shows everything, the next step is to separate things into different applications that talk to each other. iTunes already talks to iPhone or Aperture for photo syncing. Why can't there be a 'Music' app, a Videos app, etc, like on iOS, plus a device syncing agent that manages all the content together?

Oh wait, that will never happen, because it would mean having 10 different windows applications and that'd be too confusing for Windows users.

iOS has really a much better media management paradigm compared to iTunes.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by Daemon:

Oh wait, that will never happen, because it would mean having 10 different windows applications and that'd be too confusing for Windows users.

Ouch.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to haroldo

Click for full size
The only one I purchased was Paul Simon. WTF
Downloaded and installed no problem. I don't have any music in the local library on this machine, but the new iTunes opens first to the music library screen. There was a couple songs and albums I purchased throughout the years, and then a whole bunch of individual songs from artists I have never owned or listened to, including some I've never even heard of. All with the iCloud logo overlayed on the album cover. Wtf?

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

Ouch.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a dig on PC users. If Microsoft made a media player for OS X that included ten separate applications, I'd be confused trying to use it on my Mac. System apps are easier to use, often because they are more tightly integrated and the help files are more detailed.

i'm just frustrated they can't make what I think is a better solution for OS X because it would be impossible to do on Windows.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Thinkdiff

I never used it either except occasionally to show off the eye candy.

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out
reply to haroldo

It's the best iTunes ever! No! Wait! It sucks.

Actually I don't care. I just need a media player to find and play my music and other media. The old iTunes did it just fine and so will this one. Much a-doo-doo about nothing!
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

2 edits
reply to haroldo

Not bad so far. Memory usage did go up but I don't care about that. Glad to see this still works fine »www.mattberube.com/software/iTunesKeys/

Really wish they can do something to allow us to use multiple profiles (easily).

edit: Come on Apple! Rating a song in a smart playlist doesn't auto play the next song. Fuck. Going to revert to 10.7 for now

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to haroldo

CRAP! Daughter's "cloud" music which she apparently had previously purchased under my account now shows up in my iTunes! Time to restore SD backup from this morning....

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

Click for full size
Got it on my Win7 Desktop no issues. I'll need to poke around it to learn how to manually manage music on my iOS devices without the sidebar.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Teasip

View > Hide Music in the Cloud

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Cody

said by Cody:

Got it on my Win7 Desktop no issues. I'll need to poke around it to learn how to manually manage music on my iOS devices without the sidebar.

Drag an album or song, side bar on the right side pops up with all your devices list. Drag it to the device.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to haroldo

Anybody know if there's a way to use a keyboard command to pull up the search field on the mini player (like Command+Space for spotlight)?
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to Teasip

said by Teasip:

CRAP! Daughter's "cloud" music which she apparently had previously purchased under my account now shows up in my iTunes! Time to restore SD backup from this morning....

You can elect to not show what is in the cloud. I have stuff I got over time, mostly free tracks that I have since deleted. These showed up again. Hit the upper left corner and show menu bar. Then select hide music in the cloud.

Edit - whoops, Thinkdiff already answered, sorry.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

4 edits
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Anybody know if there's a way to use a keyboard command to pull up the search field on the mini player (like Command+Space for spotlight)?

Answering my own question. Wrote this AppleScript (might not be the best, but hey.. it works). Use Automator to create a new service that takes no input. Add the "Run AppleScript" action and paste in this code:

on run
tell application "iTunes"
activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell process "iTunes"
click ((buttons of window "MiniPlayer") whose description contains "Search")
click ((text fields of window "MiniPlayer") whose description is "Search Music")
end tell
end tell
end run

Then save and add as a keyboard shortcut in System Prefs.

Edit: You can use this one to add a shortcut for popping open the Up Next drawer - it does not activate the mini player though. AppleScript is fun ;)

on run
tell application "System Events"
tell process "iTunes"
click ((buttons of window 1) whose description contains "up next")
end tell
end tell
end run

--

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to haroldo

Thanks for the input. I've had my fill recently of software with my trying to implement an electronic medical record system at work (thanks for the great training, selling company) and then I came home to HANNAH MONTANA on the laptop. Geez, what a week, month,....

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to haroldo

It's Teh Snappy™!

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 edit
reply to haroldo

Where can I get it? Downloading from Apple's website does not appear to be working at the moment.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to haroldo

Downloading now (y)