Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

Re: iTunes 11 is out

Click for full size
Got it on my Win7 Desktop no issues. I'll need to poke around it to learn how to manually manage music on my iOS devices without the sidebar.
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Teasip

View > Hide Music in the Cloud

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Cody

said by Cody:

Got it on my Win7 Desktop no issues. I'll need to poke around it to learn how to manually manage music on my iOS devices without the sidebar.

Drag an album or song, side bar on the right side pops up with all your devices list. Drag it to the device.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to haroldo

Anybody know if there's a way to use a keyboard command to pull up the search field on the mini player (like Command+Space for spotlight)?
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to Teasip

said by Teasip:

CRAP! Daughter's "cloud" music which she apparently had previously purchased under my account now shows up in my iTunes! Time to restore SD backup from this morning....

You can elect to not show what is in the cloud. I have stuff I got over time, mostly free tracks that I have since deleted. These showed up again. Hit the upper left corner and show menu bar. Then select hide music in the cloud.

Edit - whoops, Thinkdiff already answered, sorry.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

4 edits
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

Anybody know if there's a way to use a keyboard command to pull up the search field on the mini player (like Command+Space for spotlight)?

Answering my own question. Wrote this AppleScript (might not be the best, but hey.. it works). Use Automator to create a new service that takes no input. Add the "Run AppleScript" action and paste in this code:

on run
tell application "iTunes"
activate
end tell

tell application "System Events"
tell process "iTunes"
click ((buttons of window "MiniPlayer") whose description contains "Search")
click ((text fields of window "MiniPlayer") whose description is "Search Music")
end tell
end tell
end run

Then save and add as a keyboard shortcut in System Prefs.

Edit: You can use this one to add a shortcut for popping open the Up Next drawer - it does not activate the mini player though. AppleScript is fun ;)

on run
tell application "System Events"
tell process "iTunes"
click ((buttons of window 1) whose description contains "up next")
end tell
end tell
end run

--

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to haroldo

Thanks for the input. I've had my fill recently of software with my trying to implement an electronic medical record system at work (thanks for the great training, selling company) and then I came home to HANNAH MONTANA on the laptop. Geez, what a week, month,....

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to haroldo

It's Teh Snappy™!

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

1 edit
reply to haroldo

Where can I get it? Downloading from Apple's website does not appear to be working at the moment.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to haroldo

Downloading now (y)

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY
kudos:2
reply to haroldo

Great...they got rid of the dark view style and I can't view albums in detail view anymore. Also, anyone know how to make the album art thumbnails in album view bigger?
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to haroldo

I like the update thus far!

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO
reply to haroldo

I've been very down on Apple recently, but this update is great. I'm very pleased with the simplified layout, and the new Mini Player with search is fantastic.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

said by Cody:

Drag an album or song, side bar on the right side pops up with all your devices list. Drag it to the device.

Awesome, thank you!

I find it a little weird that when iTunes is full screen on my second monitor, choosing the File menu makes it pop up on my main monitor instead of opening to the right.

edit: what is this Multiple airplay feature?!
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

So far I like the update. Clean's up a few things well.
1 - Not sure where the "whats downloading" list is now.
2 - What is this icloud stuff? It just opens a browser to the icloud site where I can select the web app but ALL the links take me there.

said by Cody:

I find it a little weird that when iTunes is full screen on my second monitor, choosing the File menu makes it pop up on my main monitor instead of opening to the right.

I'm having that issue too.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
Spokane, WA

You can click ctrl+S (cmd+s?)
--
Blame it on the C2H5OH

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

Or go to the top right corner, hit the menu there and select Show Menu Bar (Ctrl + B), then View -> Show Sidebar (Ctrl + S). All menus and keyboard shortcuts are for the Windows version of iTunes 11

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

1 edit
reply to Cody

said by Cody:

said by Thinkdiff:

said by Cody:

edit: what is this Multiple airplay feature?!

It has been there for some time. Before it was on the lower right of the iTunes window. Multiple allows you to stream to more than one AirPlay device and/or Apple TV and/or Airport Express at the same time. I have many devices and use this a lot.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to haroldo

iTunes 11 has not resolved the problem of background tasks hogging CPU in Windows. Just one more reason for me to get a Mini as an iTunes server. I'm done with iTunes on Windows. You win Apple.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by Nezmo:

iTunes 11 has not resolved the problem of background tasks hogging CPU in Windows. Just one more reason for me to get a Mini as an iTunes server. I'm done with iTunes on Windows. You win Apple.

Yep, same problem here.

It works fine initially, but when I leave iTunes running, I'll find ATH.EXE is hogging the CPU.

I have all kinds of macs in my house, but the 24x7 server runs Windows. I'm not interested in adding extra power consumption just because Apple can't get their wifi shit together.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by djrobx:

said by Nezmo:

Yep, same problem here.

It works fine initially, but when I leave iTunes running, I'll find ATH.EXE is hogging the CPU.

I have all kinds of macs in my house, but the 24x7 server runs Windows. I'm not interested in adding extra power consumption just because Apple can't get their wifi shit together.

It's a pretty widely reported problem. I had hopes for v11 but it's acting more like a re-skin of v10 on Windows.

I give. I'll be ordering a Mini this weekend just to run iTunes. I know there are other options but I am heavily invested in the whole AirPlay thing. It's just iTunes that blows.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to haroldo

Farhad Manjoo over at Slate writes a rambling, semi-trolling piece on iTunes 11, but I agree with his central premise:

What’s more, the new version doesn’t solve the key problems plaguing iTunes. First, it still does too many different things—it’s a media player, a store, and a sync manager. Second, it remains a local file manager in a connected age. The new software does have deeper integration with Apple’s iCloud service, but at its core iTunes is meant to manage “your” music files—that is, stuff you’ve purchased or burned—on a single computer. That’s an outmoded model, one that’s being replaced by subscription systems like Spotify, which feature no distinction between stuff you own and stuff you don’t. Instead you have rights to play everything, all the time, whenever you want.

So even if the new iTunes is an improvement, it’s not a permanent solution. The only way for Apple to fix it would be to throw it out and start all over again. Perhaps—as Macworld’s Jason Snell has suggested—iTunes should be split into multiple programs: One to play your media, one to sync your devices, and one to buy or subscribe to stuff from Apple. Or maybe it could be replaced altogether with a quicker, lightweight Web-based system. Whatever Apple does, it shouldn’t aim merely to fix iTunes but instead come up with a brand new system better suited to our age. iTunes 11 is enough. Please don’t let there be an iTunes 12.

--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Many people still want to own their music. I avoid subscription services.

$25/year for iTunes Match plus a few song/album purchases a year makes a lot more sense to me than $120/year for Spotify, which has no guarantee of future usability. Any music I get from iTunes will work practically forever.

And the iTunes Match / iTunes in the Cloud additions in iTunes 11 do exactly what he wants - integration between your local and cloud media.
--

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

Agree. I still buy CDs, and I've even been known, much to my wife's chagrin, to purchase LPs at garage sales.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

said by bobrk:

Agree. I still buy CDs, and I've even been known, much to my wife's chagrin, to purchase LPs at garage sales.

I still have 200 LPs. I have converted them all to digital but there's something about reading the sleeve and flipping the disc at half time. Funny your wife doesn't like it. My girl LOVED the fact I had a turntable .
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to bobrk

I buy a lot of music too, but I really love music, and the subscription services like MOG and Spotify are wonderful. I don't care if they disappear tomorrow, because they have allowed me to listen to a vast library of songs that I would never have been able to afford in my lifetime.

In a pinch, I can record anything from Spotify and save it forever.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by jmn1207:

because they have allowed me to listen to a vast library of songs that I would never have been able to afford in my lifetime.

This.

Before Spotify I swore I would never "rent" music but I tried it out for a month and found a ton of music that I like (and musicians and labels that I like that are on there, creating playlists) and there was no going back. And if nothing else, it's nice to "try before you buy" -- I used to buy from eMusic and suffered from a number of disappointing selections with no way to "return" them. And anything I really really like on Spotify, I buy.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

Got it and like it. The info panes almost seem like a hat tip to MS' metro UI

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by jmn1207:

because they have allowed me to listen to a vast library of songs that I would never have been able to afford in my lifetime.

This.

Before Spotify I swore I would never "rent" music but I tried it out for a month and found a ton of music that I like (and musicians and labels that I like that are on there, creating playlists) and there was no going back. And if nothing else, it's nice to "try before you buy" -- I used to buy from eMusic and suffered from a number of disappointing selections with no way to "return" them. And anything I really really like on Spotify, I buy.

I just use Pandora to find new music.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

I know a lot of people who enjoy Pandora. I prefer Spotify