spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

[DSL] Betty Behave

OK, I'm not complaining, but nonetheless I'm a little surprised TekSavvy put that pic on the home page of their site.

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1

Sure beats the gross dude with the hairy chest.
Expand your moderator at work
Eug
Canada

Eug to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1

Re: [DSL] Betty Behave

We still have the guy with hairy underarms on another page.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

OK, I'm not complaining, but nonetheless I'm a little surprised TekSavvy put that pic on the home page of their site.

Why is it surprising?
Eug
Canada

Eug

It doesn't have really any direct relevance in that context, and I'm thinking it could come across as somewhat chauvinistic to female customers.

It might make sense if they're targeting the male geek market (myself included), but not so much if they're going after the mainstream.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Eug:

It doesn't have really any direct relevance in that context, and I'm thinking it could come across as somewhat chauvinistic to female customers.

It might make sense if they're targeting the male geek market (myself included), but not so much if they're going after the mainstream.

I don't see any relevance for any of the pictures.

IMO the ad campaign is supposed to be silly and fun.

Ohh noo. Someone might be offended. Lighten up. Too many people are way too serious nowadays.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by 34764170:

X2
Eug
Canada

Eug to 34764170

to 34764170
Well, my point was if someone is offended they're unlikely to become a customer. Actually, I personally don't see it as a big deal myself, but I could see some of my female colleagues (older and conservative) being unimpressed. But then again they'd unlikely be TekSavvy customers anyway since they likely have very low GB needs (as their kids have moved out already). So again it comes down to TSI's target market(s).

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

Rocky, Do you have her #?

Her avatar is Betty_Behave Hahahahaha
I like the new ad. It's get's people talking.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by TilhasBB:

Marc, Do you have her #?

Fixed that for you (italics mine). Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore, he moved on, didn't you see the memo some threads ago?

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB

Premium Member

nope, I haven't been on as much. Inbox me the link please.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

but I could see some of my female colleagues (older and conservative) being unimpressed.

Oh well. That is their problem. Getting their panties in a knot over silly things instead of what really matters.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan

What really matters is why is her twitter image so blurry?! She needs to tweet more and explain (in great detail) why she enjoys apples so much.
Eug
Canada

Eug to 34764170

to 34764170
No, it's not really their problem, since they can choose whatever ISP they want. However, it potentially could be TSI's (small) problem if they're targeting the mainstream, for expansion of its subscriber base. Like I said it doesn't bother me, but I could understand if it bothered some.

Now if TSI feels this group is irrelevant to their expansion then it may not bother them. Also, it depends upon how big this group really is.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

It is their problem. TSI isn't trying to please every last person in this world.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Eug

to Eug
I don't see a problem here.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to Eug

to Eug
Unless your over the age of 60, or very hyper sensitive, this is far from offensive.. Some CANADIAN's are just too hyper sensitive. This POLITICAL CORRECT movement is just getting ridiculous! I doubt they will loose any business or not get business by this.

The rule in advertising is SEX SELLS..

Eug
Canada

Eug

Seniors

Well, in a way we were thinking the same thing... The colleagues I mentioned in the post above are over 60...

If anything though, the ads I find kinda annoying are the Koodo ones. A bit juvenile, but some are also kinda just stupid in general.

Quake110
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

Quake110

Premium Member

said by Eug:

If anything though, the ads I find kinda annoying are the Koodo ones. A bit juvenile, but some are also kinda just stupid in general.

That's EXACTLY the point of an ad. If you can remember it, then the company has succeeded.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Quake110:

That's EXACTLY the point of an ad. If you can remember it, then the company has succeeded.

From time to time I'm reminded of that fact when I point out commercials I think are corny or cheesy and that is the truth. It doesn't mean you you will necessarily utilize the services or purchase the products in the ad but that is how this stuff works.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

1 edit

zacron

Premium Member

Example:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· w3A9Dg-Q

even more rediculous...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· efzSP6U4
Eug
Canada

Eug to Quake110

to Quake110
said by Quake110:

said by Eug:

Good point, but then again, all I remember is thinking Koodo's ads are frickin' stupid. I don't actually remember any details of any plans.

OTOH, I remember Apple's advertising for the iPad mini quite vividly even though I'm happy to stick with my Nexus 7.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

said by Eug:

said by Quake110:

said by Eug:

Good point, but then again, all I remember is thinking Koodo's ads are frickin' stupid. I don't actually remember any details of any plans.

OTOH, I remember Apple's advertising for the iPad mini quite vividly even though I'm happy to stick with my Nexus 7.

You are missing the point.. the ADS are more to remember the name and perhaps get you into the store to get the details.. not to remember every detail in the ad.. MOST people will remember KOODO cause they are stupid, but will walk into their store because of brand awareness and remember that Mexican fighter in the ad. A ad with nothing but a talking head with nothing but info in BLAND form, will not be noticed or remembered. It's a fact, and proven over and over when companies play it too safe and do that. It doesn't work. SEX and ODD CRAZY sell.. always has, always will. Teksavvy's ads are the most professional I've seen from them and do get a lot attention. I watch people on the TTC on my way to work, and people actually do look at them.
They also seem to be getting brand awareness too, cause I've had them come up randomly by non-tech people in conversations.
Eug
Canada

Eug

Ironic

Ironically, you totally missed my point. Some ads have had no talking at all, and no idiotic caricatures, yet were amongst the most effective.

34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Eug:

Ironically, you totally missed my point. Some ads have had no talking at all, and no idiotic caricatures, yet were amongst the most effective.

[att=1]

Did you even read what koreyb said? What you posted is exactly what he was talking about.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

koreyb to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

[att=1]

Apple did this kind of thing AFTER they already had the brand awareness and they do use a SEXUAL approach with the ad you pictured. If everyone did this exact style of AD, it would become soo background white noise and wouldn't be effective.

This ad is for a product that at this point was already known based on looks and appearance. It's not going to make anyone RUSH out and by the product, nor will it make me or anyone pick this product over another, if I already didn't know about APPLE. Apple is quite a bit different than an ISP, as they have a monopoly on their products. There is only 1 IPOD. Mp3 players have millions of choices. Different approach for a different product and client.

If Teksavvy had a monoply, and was fully BRAND AWARE, this type of ad would work.. Right now, they need to stick out from the NOISE to get attention, which works via CRAZY/ODD or SEX approaches. The Teacher if that's all you would see, does make you look and wonder what it's about. Which from seeing people on the TTC in Toronto.. It works.

My point long ago is how some get all uptight about any suggestion of anything remotely sexual. I'm sure there are people who find the APPLE IPOD ad offensive. You can't please everyone. I just hope TSI doesn't get cold feet, because a few hyper-sensitive people complain. THE US, having so many "RELIGIOUS" people are not even this uptight.

fiestaware
join:2008-01-07

fiestaware to 34764170

to 34764170

Re: [DSL] Betty Behave

said by 34764170:

Often confused with stupid and corny. Which those clipart pics most assuredly are.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by fiestaware:

Often confused with stupid and corny.

Sounds like you're confused easily.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Eug

to Eug
I'm offended that this guy can grow more armpit hair than me, so will be calling to cancel my POTS line shortly, and won't be switching back for internet when they add cable service to Brantford either!

Also, the image on the Support -> Tools -> Glossary page is blurry compared to the one on Support -> Tools -> Tools because the image dimensions are being specified incorrectly (1 pixel less than the actual dimensions). Please fix that and I might consider keeping my POTS line