Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

2 edits

slajoh01

Gmail 2-factor Authentication questions

I need some help.

I setup the 2-factor verification code to send to my Android phone all the time. My question is, whenever they send me the PIN code to my Android phone, do I have to pay a fee for this everytime they send me my code? Look at the print screen.
Says: "Standard text messaging rates may apply"

Also, I installed the Google Authenticator timer which the code changes every time to a different one. How can I stop this timer in order to prevent the battery from draining. Does the Google Authenticator timer drains the batteries since it counts down all day and all night nonstop to change the codes??? And how can i stop this counter?

Also another question....When I am trying to setup a MANUAL ACCOUNT ENTRY where do I obtain or get were it says ENTER YOUR KEY? Please see second print shot.

I dont want to use the Bar Code setup thing. Only manually.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

You may find some useful information in this thread dialogue: Does Google's 2-factor authentication only care about the mobile phone number? Apparently, you can get the code sent to you either by SMS (texting) or by a phone call. According to the details of your phone plan, you may or may not have to pay for incoming text messages... so whether the SMS notifications will cost you will depend on your particular plan. A problem with getting the codes by phone is the need to be available to take the call. Additionally, it appears a smartphone app exists that will generate the code instead (see the first reply to the OP in that thread).
slajoh01

slajoh01

But what does this ENTER YOUR KEY mean when I want DO NOT want to use the Bar Code option? I even tried entering the 6 digit PIN verification code and the error said that its too short. What the heck is this "so-called" key mean?

What key are there talking about?

Thx.
slajoh01

4 edits

slajoh01

Ok, I got it. On where it says that if you cannot scan the QR code? or have issues scanning it, then theres an option on a drop down menu which will have this key to be entered.

But my other question is, if this time based counter from the Google Authenticator app will be generating PIN codes all day long, will this tend to drain the batteries on my phone???

If so, then i will remove it.

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226

MVM

said by slajoh01:

But my other question is, if this time based counter from the Google Authenticator app will be generating PIN codes all day long, will this tend to drain the batteries on my phone???

It only generates when the app is active. Don't have the app running, and it's not generating anything.
slajoh01

slajoh01

How can i stop this? I see a Force Stop under the Apps section of my Android phone.

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226

MVM

said by slajoh01:

How can i stop this? I see a Force Stop under the Apps section of my Android phone.

That would effectively kill the app process.