spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

tool-less vs. punch-down CAT jacks + cables

Aside from the obvious (one requires a punch-down tool, about $13) is there any significant difference between these jacks?

Things like ease and speed of installation, reliability and quality of connection, etc.)

Also, can CAT5E or CAT6 jacks used with the other cable (CAT6 & CAT5E), or I really have to use the proper Ethernet cable? Lastly, can I just cut the ends off some regular patch cables and use those (have a bunch with broken off plastic retainers) or I need a different cable for wiring in the wall?

TIA

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

You'll get a more reliable connection with a punch-down jack. The tool isn't that expensive so I'd suggest you pick one up. As far as mixing different rated cable and jacks, it'll work but you do risk having the connection run at the highest common speed (100 megabit even though you're using cat6). There shouldn't be a noticeable cost difference when it comes to the cable and jacks so just go with all cat6.

Don't run patch cable in the wall. Buy the proper product. I believe you're looking at riser cable for in wall installation. There's also plenum cable if you're installing in an air space, though you will pay a premium for plenum rated cable. For my wiring project I used all cat6 jacks and cat6 riser cable. When it came to the patch cables for my patch panel to switch I just bought 1 or 2' cables from monoprice. Don't bother with making your own, it's not worth the trouble.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Tool-less is harder to visually see if the wire is properly seated when you close it.
You can get a cheap punch down for like a buck on ebay (may as well buy a punch down + crimp for 5$).

Because of that, it's actually faster (less troubleshooting) with punchdown.

Cat5e jacks will degrade a Cat6 cable (Probably won't be noticed at 1gbps), but since you can use Cat6 jacks with cat5e cables, may as well go for cat6 jacks, they don't cost more (unless you buy from a scumbag store).

Patch cables are braided internally. They can't be very long. Inside the walls, or long runs, you use solid strand network cables.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Keystones are meant to be used with solid wire. Most patch cables are not solid wire, but are stranded instead.

I personally don't like the tool-less jacks. The time they save by not using a punch tool is wasted by half of them failing to punch enough to make a solid connection with the teeth in the jack.

You should use the proper jacks for your cable. Standard Cat5e is 24awg, while standard Cat6 is 22awg. You can probably get away with cramming Cat6 wire into a cat5e keystone if your not needing the rated capacity of a pure Cat6 network. Punching Cat5e wire down into a Cat6 keystone can result in loose terminations if the keystones are rated for such, which will cause network issues.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I used those exact tool-less keystones on my Cat 6 that I rewired my house with. All worked fine and not a single failure yet. All running 1Gbps.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Realistically it won't make any difference if you use a different jack. You can't get it certified, but that's a different story.
What makes most difference is the way it is being wired. Keep the wires short and twisted as much as possible and you'll be good.
Don't use patch cables, they are stranded and you may not get a good punch.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Are you doing it one off? You probably wont notice a failure rate worth noting if so. If you're installing them on a regular basis that's when the toolles ones shine in their failure.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to aurgathor

to aurgathor
You might want to check out Platinum Tools modular crimping tool that crimps a special 8 contact modular Plug that is much easier to attach to the CAT-5E or CAT-6 Cable:

»www.platinumtools.com/pr ··· hp?cat=4

The proprietary CAT-5E connector is here:

»www.platinumtools.com/pr ··· hp?cat=5

Each conductor is fed through the plug and the crimping tool makes the connection and cuts off the excess wire.

Tool and connectors available here:

»www.cyberguys.com/produc ··· yid=1086

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to cowspotter

Premium Member

to cowspotter

As far as mixing different rated cable and jacks, it'll work but you do risk having the connection run at the highest common speed (100 megabit even though you're using cat6).

That should only happen if one of the pins fails to connect.

Gigabit isn't as sensitive as some make it out to be. I've been running gigabit networking over about 150 feet of 4-pair CAT3, with two splices in between. I shouldn't even be able to use 100mbps over this mess. Shockingly I've been using it this way for about a year. It hasn't skipped a beat, and I transfer big images over it all day.

I intend to run new CAT6 at some point for peace of mind, but it's just not an easy task where my main PC room is located and shear panels that block the path in the attic.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
I use Leviton punchdown jacks in my own work, all of the time, unless I have to match an existing cabling system. I think they are more reliable and I can terminate them fast, with or without the JackRapid tool.
We use Panduit here at work. They are not bad, but depending on what Graybar has in stock, we could get any of 3 different termination styles, which require a different plastic gizmo to terminate.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to aurgathor

to aurgathor
I use tool less jacks from monoprice. Pain in the ass. But they're all in and my whole house is wired, so...

SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL

SychoSly to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
How about using a coupler type jack. If you have cables with the ends already on there? Any cons to doing it that way?

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

No cons as far as the jack is concerned, but that's only advantageous if you are using terminated cables, and that likely means you're not using riser cable for your runs inside the walls.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Mizzat

Premium Member

to Mizzat
said by Mizzat:

I used those exact tool-less keystones on my Cat 6 that I rewired my house with. All worked fine and not a single failure yet. All running 1Gbps.

What data are you running at 1 Gbps?
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Realistically it won't make any difference if you use a different jack. You can't get it certified, but that's a different story.
What makes most difference is the way it is being wired. Keep the wires short and twisted as much as possible and you'll be good.
Don't use patch cables, they are stranded and you may not get a good punch.

Why would anyone want to get their wiring inside their house "certified"? That's an interesting statement.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Why would anyone want to get their wiring inside their house "certified"? That's an interesting statement.

Not inside the house, but in general (ex installing in a commercial environment and labeling it as a CAT6).

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by cowboyro:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Not inside the house, but in general (ex installing in a commercial environment and labeling it as a CAT6).

Thanks, just wondering..

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Mizzat:

Large file transfer such as copying recorded DVR shows.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by fifty nine:

The DVR allows to be on the network? Lucky you.
I have everyone stored centrally, all other devices would only access the network storage to play a file directly, so the bandwidth requirement is low. 100mbps is more than enough for a bluray movie.

Anyway, even if 1gbps is rarely useless in a household, we don't know what to expect in 10 years. 10 years ago, we wouldn't have terabytes of media and movies were 720p at best. When you install wiring in walls, you tend to want to use it for a good 10-20 years

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Mizzat:

Large data files (30GB+) from SSD RAIDs.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Mizzat:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Mizzat:

Large data files (30GB+) from SSD RAIDs.

Oh, file size not data transfer speed. What is your transmission speed?

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Thanks for all who replied. Probably more than I ever need to know.

I plan on using the CAT6 connector with a punchdown tool and a solid CAT6 riser cable.

Does anyone know if HD or Lowes sell bulk CAT6, or any mail order place that sells a quantity other than a full spool/reel?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by aurgathor:

Does anyone know if HD or Lowes sell bulk CAT6, or any mail order place that sells a quantity other than a full spool/reel?

I got 1000f of cat6 for 80$ (shipped) off eBay.

You either buy terminated lenghts, or you buy a full 1000f.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to aurgathor

to aurgathor
i buy 5e from a local supply house for 50$ a 1000ft spool. I stock CAT 6 but only when people request it, its a bit thick and most people wont need anything more than gig

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to alkizmo

to alkizmo
Looking at cables, there are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) and solid copper. Aside from the obvious (i.e. price, composition, etc.) is there any difference between the two?

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Dont touch Copper Clad Aluminum with a 10 foot pole. That stuff isn't even remotely close to spec.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
But it's so CHEAP!
LOL

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by fifty nine:

The DVR allows to be on the network? Lucky you.

Yes. I have a media center PC with a CableCARD tuner. That is my "DVR."