spc
uniqs

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter to aurgathor

to aurgathor

Re: tool-less vs. punch-down CAT jacks + cables

You'll get a more reliable connection with a punch-down jack. The tool isn't that expensive so I'd suggest you pick one up. As far as mixing different rated cable and jacks, it'll work but you do risk having the connection run at the highest common speed (100 megabit even though you're using cat6). There shouldn't be a noticeable cost difference when it comes to the cable and jacks so just go with all cat6.

Don't run patch cable in the wall. Buy the proper product. I believe you're looking at riser cable for in wall installation. There's also plenum cable if you're installing in an air space, though you will pay a premium for plenum rated cable. For my wiring project I used all cat6 jacks and cat6 riser cable. When it came to the patch cables for my patch panel to switch I just bought 1 or 2' cables from monoprice. Don't bother with making your own, it's not worth the trouble.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

As far as mixing different rated cable and jacks, it'll work but you do risk having the connection run at the highest common speed (100 megabit even though you're using cat6).

That should only happen if one of the pins fails to connect.

Gigabit isn't as sensitive as some make it out to be. I've been running gigabit networking over about 150 feet of 4-pair CAT3, with two splices in between. I shouldn't even be able to use 100mbps over this mess. Shockingly I've been using it this way for about a year. It hasn't skipped a beat, and I transfer big images over it all day.

I intend to run new CAT6 at some point for peace of mind, but it's just not an easy task where my main PC room is located and shear panels that block the path in the attic.