Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear

Re: MSE fails AV-Test, loses certification

If you're going to browse anywhere and everywhere, clicking on whatever you see, then either you thoroughly know your way around computers, anti-malware and/or anti-executable techniques, and the technical aspects of clearing or cleaning a computer, or else you don't. In the first case, whether you use MSE or some other AV layer will probably not matter a lot because you'll have other security layers and know what to do if something does slip through. In the latter case, whether you use MSE or some other AV will also matter little, because in the end, you'll get pwned regardless - sooner or later.

On the other hand, if a user habitually practices safe hex and has perhaps only a layer or two of protection, then an AV's zero-day protective stats may matter a little more, since even the safest sites (or their ads) can get whacked with a zero-day. But still, the most numerous (and thus most likely) threats to be encountered are the ones that have been "out" for a while. So IMHO, an AV's response to zero-days is on the margin of importance. What matters more (and usually doesn't seem to get tested or measured) is how fast, on average, an AV brand incorporates detection of new exploits after they've been discovered, since the passage of time increases the chances of them becoming widespread and more likely to be encountered.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

You hit the nail on the head.

Plus 1

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

Rebrider

Premium Member

Plus 2

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
+3

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 recommendation

ashrc4 to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

If you're going to browse anywhere and everywhere, clicking on whatever you see,..... whether you use MSE or some other AV will also matter little, because in the end, you'll get pwned regardless - sooner or later.

Perhaps they could install this on their "desktop" as a reminder of the inevitable.
»www.burnabrain.com/the-m ··· ce-ever/

+4
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

I'm still wondering if since MSE got a low score as far as detection rates, then I would imagine the Win 7 firewall has a poor rating as well.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by slajoh01:

I'm still wondering if since MSE got a low score as far as detection rates, then I would imagine the Win 7 firewall has a poor rating as well.

Why would that reasoning necessarily follow? Most conventional AV depends on up-to-date signatures and how those are employed, at least to a major extent. A firewall depends on rules.