kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

2 recommendations

Public service message-Neighbor's paid for connections

Point being: We ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT do the following to your neighbor's Uverse service they are paying for.

1.) give you the default password to or tell you the password to your neighbor's 2wire/uverse router
2.) help you disable the firewall
3.) increase speeds and/or change settings on the neighbor's connection (they are paying for).

We will tell you the default answer of "Contact your neighbor for access and password reset issues as it is their paid for service!"

Truthfully: this isn't a concern and technically this is a Customer Premise problem! This is not an AT&T network problem!

Cases in point (names stripped/redacted) or no names left. Yes me and my contacts got these!

Example #1

"Hello, my next door neighbors Internet is very slow. I have been using his wifi for several years now and suddenly my download speed has dropped. Is there any way I can speed it up without asking him, as we're not on speaking terms since I spat on one of his children."

My answer:

I would suggest either one of the following

1.) order your own service.
2.) make peace and contact your neighbor.

Thanks
David

Example #2

Yes, I did it. I am on my kind neighbors' internet. I was fiddling with firewall settings on my account and rendered myself unable to view web pages, including homeportal/home and 192.168.1.254. I was quite close to fixing this via the ATT Uverse website, but was unable to (as I'd like to) disable ATT's firewall. Help! Will be checking back promptly. Thanks all!

my answer:

Are you sure your neighbor didn't kick you out from playing with their router? I feel I cannot resolve this for you as you are not the actual end user with the service. Best I can say is to contact the neighbor with the problem and resolve the issue with them as it is their account.

Thanks
David

Example #3

Hello and thanks for reading my email. I was wondering if I give you my address can I get the password to one of the 2wire's around me? I feel I should have free Internet being a young IT professional.

I pick up the following 2wires

ATT838
ATT112
ATT337
ATT546

My answer:

This email box is primarily targeted for people who have established service or are interested in service. Unfortunately I cannot assist with this request as it is their service and they are paying for it.

Might I suggest the following avenues to resolve your issue

1.) ordering your own service- Yes this is a financial decision but I am sure something can be arranged.
2.) paying for service from your 2wires that you are picking up.

Thanks
David

As I said in the beginning, it has been kind of tough not to advise of this and keep my mouth shut, but 3 requests in under a month is something I will shut down and bring to a grinding halt now! If you have permission to use your neighbor's Internet and have problems you need to contact your neighbor first- not AT&T!

to mods: feel free to move this if you want but it should be stuck for a bit. I hate to be the bad man... but... well...
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

How do you manage not to just hang up on situations like this? People who mooch off other's wifi (even with permission) call you when they have problems instead of talking to the one who's services they're using. They have some major balls to do that. I'd be embarrassed as hell to do that and when I got off the phone with you, my face would be red.

Where's the common sense?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by Chris 313:

How do you manage not to just hang up on situations like this? People who mooch off other's wifi (even with permission) call you when they have problems instead of talking to the one who's services they're using. They have some major balls to do that. I'd be embarrassed as hell to do that and when I got off the phone with you, my face would be red.

Where's the common sense?

For the first part of the question... essentially I kind of have to. It's not their account to be questioning about. Maybe they only wanted 3/1 and you are choking up 2.9/.95 of it. If you are not paying the bill can you really complain? The 3rd one has the most balls I have to admit, that gem of the gene pool keeps quoting me net neutrality regulations!

Another request I got was something along the lines of a college student was at the outer part of the library and picked up a 2wire from the parking lot and wanted to know if they can get the number for that owner because they wanted to buy Internet from them.

While that may be true, I can't help them either and my answer back to her was "try knocking on the person's door when your tablet shows a strong signal" She cussed me out and told me to have a horrible life. Least I think it was a she... she signed the email with a "Thak u- chessa" (I don't think that was even the real name).

I really haven't gotten many of them till this month of this year. My answer would still be the same, it's not your account you need to work with the account/service owner.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to David

Shades of Leo Laporte:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0zt4opqL18

I have the following local networks (among others) listed:

2WIRE951
ATT280
ATT912
ATT8686
PACE034
optimumwifi
TWCWiFi
xfinitywifi
linksys
linksys-guest

I am guessing that the 2Wire is also AT&T; the Pace could be either AT&T, or Sonic.net, LLC.

Mine used to show up as PACEnnn, but now is, "Tenkai". I am a Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion" customer.

The "wifi" ones are interesting. I believe that Comcast (Xfinity), Optimum Online, and TWC are partners in providing mobile access to their respective networks for their "Road Warrior" customers. Have to see if my sister can connect on her next visit.

The rest, like mine, have user-defined names which don't necessarily have any obvious significance; except for one which appears to be an Asian name.

Six, of sixteen, are not secured.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to David

Another thing that was also brought to my attention (a few internal people assist me and read here..)

This (or these) emails technically violate the ToS and AUP.

TOS:

10. Restrictions on Use

a. No Resale. The Service is provided for your use only (unless otherwise specifically stated) and you agree not to, whether for a fee or without charge, reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, transfer, trade, resell, re-provision, redistribute, or rent the Service, your membership in the Service, any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service, including, but not limited to, reselling capabilities enabled or used by a specific application (including, without limitation, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you agree that the Service is not to be used to trunk or facilitate public internet access ("Hotspots") or any other public use of the Service , or for any high volume purpose. All aspects of the Service and Site, except that portion provided by third party providers, is copyrighted and property of AT&T and/or Yahoo! as applicable.

It also violates the AUP (Acceptable Use Policy as well)

AUP:

Security Violations
Customers are responsible for ensuring and maintaining security of their systems and the machines that connect to and use IP Service(s), including implementation of necessary patches and operating system updates.

--

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to NormanS

@NormanS

Out of 35 or so networks here there are only 3 unsecured(2 quest/one labeled print server).

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to David

This is a sadly hysterically funny thread!

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to David

I feel for David.. I used to do Cable Internet Tech Support.. for a major cable tv provider... we'd get calls all the time when a customer didn't pay their bill so their router (usually unsecured Belkin, or Linksys) was getting the "wall garden page" ... people would call us and be like "my linksys internet is giving this call you page, can you fix it?"

They would blow up and get angry when you would find out that it wasn't their internet connection and they had been using a neighbors connection and you couldn't "support" them or "fix it" for them.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to David

In a bit of interesting news the 3rd guy stopped arguing with me via email when I told him to take his arguement to the FCC, and in the meantime my answer is no, I cannot assist in that regard.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to David

Great thread David See Profile . Some people are pretty darn stupid.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
reply to Darknessfall

Never mind.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to David

said by David:

that gem of the gene pool keeps quoting me net neutrality regulations!

Quote them the FCC CPNI regulations AT&T has to follow!
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Chris 313

said by Chris 313:

How do you manage not to just hang up on situations like this?

Situations like this are too hilarious to just hang up on.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

Quote them the FCC CPNI regulations AT&T has to follow!

If he is dumb enough to email me back from yesterday I may use that gem next.