Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

Re: [DSL] Betty Behave

said by Eug:

OK, I'm not complaining, but nonetheless I'm a little surprised TekSavvy put that pic on the home page of their site.

Why is it surprising?

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

It doesn't have really any direct relevance in that context, and I'm thinking it could come across as somewhat chauvinistic to female customers.

It might make sense if they're targeting the male geek market (myself included), but not so much if they're going after the mainstream.
--
Everything Apple

Etobicoke, ON

said by Eug:

It doesn't have really any direct relevance in that context, and I'm thinking it could come across as somewhat chauvinistic to female customers.

It might make sense if they're targeting the male geek market (myself included), but not so much if they're going after the mainstream.

I don't see any relevance for any of the pictures.

IMO the ad campaign is supposed to be silly and fun.

Ohh noo. Someone might be offended. Lighten up. Too many people are way too serious nowadays.

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

said by 34764170:

X2

Eug

Canada
reply to 34764170

Well, my point was if someone is offended they're unlikely to become a customer. Actually, I personally don't see it as a big deal myself, but I could see some of my female colleagues (older and conservative) being unimpressed. But then again they'd unlikely be TekSavvy customers anyway since they likely have very low GB needs (as their kids have moved out already). So again it comes down to TSI's target market(s).
--
Everything Apple

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada

Rocky, Do you have her #?

Her avatar is Betty_Behave Hahahahaha
I like the new ad. It's get's people talking.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by TilhasBB:

Marc, Do you have her #?

Fixed that for you (italics mine). Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore, he moved on, didn't you see the memo some threads ago?

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada

nope, I haven't been on as much. Inbox me the link please.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

said by Eug:

but I could see some of my female colleagues (older and conservative) being unimpressed.

Oh well. That is their problem. Getting their panties in a knot over silly things instead of what really matters.

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada

What really matters is why is her twitter image so blurry?! She needs to tweet more and explain (in great detail) why she enjoys apples so much.

Eug

Canada
reply to 34764170

No, it's not really their problem, since they can choose whatever ISP they want. However, it potentially could be TSI's (small) problem if they're targeting the mainstream, for expansion of its subscriber base. Like I said it doesn't bother me, but I could understand if it bothered some.

Now if TSI feels this group is irrelevant to their expansion then it may not bother them. Also, it depends upon how big this group really is.
--
Everything Apple

Etobicoke, ON

It is their problem. TSI isn't trying to please every last person in this world.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to Eug

I don't see a problem here.

fiestaware

join:2008-01-07
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

Often confused with stupid and corny. Which those clipart pics most assuredly are.

Etobicoke, ON

said by fiestaware:

Often confused with stupid and corny.

Sounds like you're confused easily.

fiestaware

said by 34764170:

said by fiestaware:

Often confused with stupid and corny.

Sounds like you're confused easily.

Comes with maturity, they say.

But, then, so does a decent sense of humor. So I don't feel especially cheated.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

1 recommendation

reply to fiestaware

said by fiestaware:

said by 34764170:

Often confused with stupid and corny. Which those clipart pics most assuredly are.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNc66CxNvQU

--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

+1 AWESOME!

Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

(youtube clip)

Nice. It looked like everyone involved had a lot of fun working on the ad campaign.

fiestaware

reply to TSI Marc

Ok, Marc. Point taken. Decidedly not clipart. Let's say 'clipartesque'.

I completely understand what is (at the least: stupid, at the most:) offensive about the 'Betty Behave' segment. It's a direct extraction from terrible '80s hair metal videos - i.e. one of the least egalitarian realms from which to draw character inspiration (though you have your '50s housewife covered, too!). I can also understand why most of you would be completely oblivious as to why such a choice might be problematic.

So, a tally:

Women:
1. Mrs. Van Halen
2. June Cleaver
Men:
1. Asian kung-fu stereotype guy
2. astronaut
3. lifeguard
4. a guy from Guys and Dolls

I get it. The whole point is silly stereotypes. Then I propose new additions to the stable -

Women:
I think an Aunt Jemima/mammy figure would be a nice
a veil-draped harem girl
a naughty nun
Men:
a politician/bureaucrat
a policeman/fireman
a doctor

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Now you're getting into the spirit of it! good ideas!

The gang had a hoot working on this... it *is* like you say 'clipartesque'. you wouldn't expect it.. kinda neat eh? I never thought it was going to turn out so good. I was pretty impressed with it all.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to 34764170

for sure!