uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to DrDrew

Re: Abnormal Pings With Roadrunner

said by DrDrew:

Read the OPs original complaint again:

You are ignoring the second hop of his tracerts. That's the reason he's having high latency, it's a sign of an oversold node.

said by DrDrew:

You don't know how it's configured either, but you keep latching on to something you don't even understand and ignoring the majority of the other information which points to something else entirely.

You're can't see the forest for the trees...

You are a funny guy, If I'm not mistaken networking is part of your job at TWC. You are expecting me to know how your network is configured? I can not tell you for sure but I have an idea that it's configured not to respond to ICMP packets when it reach capacity because that's how it reacts. I know you know the answer but you ignore to tell us, instead you want to blame it on anything but TWC.
Hobs knows the nodes are overloaded, what else can you add?

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

4 edits

said by bluepoint:

You are ignoring the second hop of his tracerts. That's the reason he's having high latency, it's a sign of an oversold node.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm using that information in context of what the reported issue is and experience troubleshooting cable ISP connections.

Why isn't he having high latency EVERYWHERE if his node is "oversold"? Why not to Chicago or other parts of NY state? Why is the latency complaint just about the route to his game server?

said by bluepoint:

You are a funny guy, If I'm not mistaken networking is part of your job at TWC. You are expecting me to know how your network is configured?

Not my network, not part of my job to design, install, configure, maintain, or repair. I've troubleshot network connections for a variety of providers mostly from the end user side over a dozen years though and seen CMTSs not respond to pings for years on TWC, Comcast, Charter, Adelphia and others. Again, just because the CMTS isn't responding to ICMP ping packets full time doesn't mean it's overloaded or having issues routing end user data. You can try other packets to see if it's just ICMP ping packets, try UDP or TCP pings. See if those are answered the same way.

I've learned to see through what seems to be a problem to the uninformed, narrowed down the actual issue, and referred them to the companies and departments that can handle the issues. I'm not here to deflect problems away from TWC or any other companies' responsibility, I'm here to direct people with problems to solutions. If this showed signs of being an overloaded anything I'd say it, right now it doesn't look like it.

What I can add is, more data about the situation from the OP is needed. Pings and tracerts from the outside world back to the user's IP or neighbors would show an overloaded gateway more than a single non responding hop would. It could also show odd routing and/or a variety of other possible issues.
said by bluepoint:

I can not tell you for sure but I have an idea that it's configured not to respond to ICMP packets when it reach capacity because that's how it reacts. I know you know the answer but you ignore to tell us, instead you want to blame it on anything but TWC.

Capacity of WHAT exactly? Capacity of the DOCSIS channel, capacity of the route processor, capacity of the configured ICMP limits, etc., etc.?

I have no clue how it's actually configured. I'm just using previous experience with similar conditions on several ISPs to guess at what is actually going on. More information is needed before blaming anyone for the cause of problem.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to bluepoint

said by bluepoint:

Having actually been on a congested "node", I can say that trace route does not look congested. In my case, the "node" was an aggregation router, first IP hop after the DSLAM. The SBC techs referred to it as an, "exhausted router". I saw high latency from that IP hop to the end. OP's trace does not exhibit that characteristic.

What baffles me is that nobody has brought up return path issues. If there is a wide disparity between the forward path (which we can see from the OP's trace) and the return path (which requires a trace from the remote connection back to the OP), that can cause anomalous results.

And if the performance is caused by routing, it may be beyond Road Runner's control.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum