Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Microsoft Surface Pricing

Microsoft has announced the pricing for its Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro.

The tablet, which will be available in January, will cost $899 for a 64GB version and $999 for a 128GB version, the company said in a blog post Thursday.

Surface with Windows 8 Pro, known as Surface Pro, looks the same as Surface with Windows RT, which is already on the market. Both include a dark titanium VaporMG casing, dual 2x2 MIMO antennas and a kickstand.

But the Surface Pro will come with Intel's next-generation Core i5 processor, which will give the tablet a graphics boost for its 10.6-inch 16:9 ClearType display that runs at a 1920x1080, full-HD resolution. Surface Pro also includes a full-size USB 3.0 port, includes a Surface pen with Palm Block technology and will run current Windows 7 desktop applications.

"It's a full PC AND a tablet," said Panos Panay, general manager of Microsoft Surface, in the blog post.

The device weighs less than 2 pounds and is less than 14 millimeters thick.

Use Private Browsing to access.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

Way too much money, I can custom build a PC with way better specs better than that. Considering other tablets are atleast $200 lower in price, I guess they really want Windows 8 to fail on all fronts.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

... "It's a full PC AND a tablet," said Panos Panay, general manager of Microsoft Surface, in the blog post. ...

Full PC, huh? I wonder if it comes with the magnifying lens needed to read the No. 7 and 8 font texts in many of my Excel spreadsheet cells on its 10.6-inch screen?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

You can attach an exterrnal display....

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to Boricua

IMHO, way too much money...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

You can attach an exterrnal display....

Which means, with the price of that external display, it will cost considerably more than an entire HP all-in-one PC/23"-touch-display system. I guess the tablet portability feature really costs...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to Boricua

When can we pre-order as I'll be looking to get a 128GB version and this will become my carry around rig, whereas an Alienware MX18 will remain my doing real work from the hotel beastie.

The wife has pretty much laid claim already to my RT, so the timing works rather well for me.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

1 edit
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

I guess the tablet portability feature really costs...

have you priced an ipad lately?

Edit: 64GB ipad - $699. Can't run any windows apps.
Surface Pro: $899 - can run all windows desktop apps. Yeah, I think it's worth the $200 for that
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Blackbird:

I guess the tablet portability feature really costs...

have you priced an ipad lately?

Edit: 64GB ipad - $699. Can't run any windows apps.
Surface Pro: $899 - can run all windows desktop apps. Yeah, I think it's worth the $200 for that

I don't think it is that bad a deal. In fact it sounds pretty darned good. Comparing a surface to a home built PC is laughable. You have to compare it to the price of an ultrabook, which is the only thing like it. The surface has a touch screen with a quality you don't find in ultrabooks. It would be nice if they threw in the keyboard though.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

I agree. Considering it can essentially replace a desktop and is far lighter than a laptop, the $899 price is reasonable.

As with ultrabooks, your'e paying for portability. Weight is huge consideration if you to carry it around most or all of the day.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

1 recommendation

While I would agree that the price points seem to be a good value, I would think Microsoft would almost be willing to give these things away for free. Not really, but they have a tall mountain to climb and price could mean the difference between success and failure. If Microsoft blows this, it is really going to hurt the company. They need a hit and they shouldn't be making a dollar of profit from any tablet they sell at this point, even Intel based. They need apps for the RT and they really need Metro apps for the Intel based product too. They aren't going to get many developers unless people start owning a lot of these. The advantage the Pro version has it that two decades of apps that already exist and it is my feeling that they should take advantage of that.

Some news on the Surface front:»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412729,00.asp

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to Boricua

Way too expensive to break into the market.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Kramer

The Pro is not Windows RT - it's a full windows tablet. As such there is no "market" to "break into" - there just aren't any other full tablet OSes out there. This is the ONLY game in town if you want laptop performance and capability, in a touch tablet form factor.

This isn't some crippled walled garden. That's the SurfaceRT/iOS/Android space. I agree that if they really wanted to penetrate that space they should have taken a huge loss on the RT surface - $249 maybe. Or $199. But this, this is something else completely.

There isn't much compelling reason to go RT over Pro IMHO... which is probably why they delayed the launch of Pro for a few months just to see if the RT tablets had any hope at the "$500 or so" price point.
--

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

Which means, with the price of that external display, it will cost considerably more than an entire HP all-in-one PC/23"-touch-display system.

Why would one buy an external monitor? Hook it up to one of the external monitors you've already got or use the mini-HDMI port to connect it to your 60" TV
--
CMKRNL

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to JohnInSJ

You didn't read my post carefully enough. I completely understand the difference. Metro itself on WIN8 needs a lot of help. That's the direction Microsoft wants us to go in and the apps they have provided are only mediocre. What does everyone want to do when they experience Windows 8 for the first time? They want to get rid of Metro and add a start menu to their Windows Desktop. That's because for now, Metro has little to offer. There is nothing especially compelling and few of us have touch screens. Metro is the future that Microsoft has prescribed for us, not Windows.

The Intel based Surface could do a lot to open the door for the acceptance that Windows 8 has yet to receive. With the device, there is a benefit to finding ways to do things with Metro but if not, you can always fall back to Windows. If they sell enough there is a benefit for developers to spend their time, whether it be on the ARM or Intel based Surface. I just think Microsoft needs to lose a little money here with the big picture in mind. The touch screen has become widely accepted by the world for personal computing and Microsoft has been 99.9% left out. They are so late, it is ridiculous. Whatever the platform, Microsoft needs to sell a lot of these really fast.

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
reply to Boricua

More on price!

»www.geekwire.com/2012/microsofts···-tablet/

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

I didn't realize how cheap the touchscreen Ultrabooks had become. It is going to be a tough sell, especially without a keyboard.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ See Profile, tablets are tablets. Microsoft is competing with the iPad in this space no matter what anybody thinks, says, or wants to believe. The market perceives the iPad to be the ultimate tablet. The Surface Pro is going to be competing with the iPad and with Ultrabooks. The way to break into the market is to either convince everyone that your product is so vastly superior/cool/whatever, that everybody wants to buy one, or, price it so cheap they have no choice but to buy it. Microsoft has done neither, so, now we'll see what happens. If the Surface RT sales are any indication, the future isn't bright.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

What does everyone want to do when they experience Windows 8 for the first time? They want to get rid of Metro and add a start menu to their Windows Desktop.

No, not everyone. Just some people. Mostly people who have been using Windows since the before times.

The surface IS a touch screen Windows 8 tablet. It's quite good.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

If the Surface RT sales are any indication, the future isn't bright.

The SurfaceRT isn't the Surface Pro, by a long shot.
--

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

...they have a tall mountain to climb and price could mean the difference between success and failure.

Some news on the Surface front:»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412729,00.asp

I read the article and the author got it right.

"Microsoft needs to be doing everything they can to project an image of success for Surface and Windows 8. The $899 starting price for Surface Pro will significantly limit penetration," Moorhead said. "Microsoft needs a starting configuration at $699 to drive significant volume and then have a step-up configuration to $899."
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting

Yep, I totally agree. Microsoft really can't afford to lose this one. They should be at least giving the RTs away for next to free and at the very most sell the Pro at the price your quote mentions. I think it is ridiculous they would sell the Pro with the keyboard as an option.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

Of course OEMs are free to make those $699 Surface Pro devices. Who knows what the point of the Microsoft hardware is - "best quality" might be it, while OEMs can come in and lowball for volume, possibly.
--

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to Boricua

I think the target customer is a "money no object" buyer -- either those who can expense it, or those who willing to pay lots of money just to have an expensive tablet.

Personally, I have a feeling they didn't really want a high volume initially, but they're more than likely cut prices and ramp up volume, maybe as early as after 6 months.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

At the prices I see and the fact that it's a true Windows computer, I can see a lot of corporate buyers for this. I'll certainly ask for one when my work computer is due for a change out. Unfortunately that's still not for a year and a half, but by then the Surface Pro devices will be mature.

This is the only real tablet for some people (like me).
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Badonkadonk:

This is the only real tablet for some people (like me).

The only question is can the "hybrid" Win8 touch laptops like the Yoga ($999 base model has 128gb disk 4gb ram core i3 and of course a keyboard, at 3+ lbs) but get down to the weight/battery life class of the Surface Pro or not.

And of course if you have a Surface RT and a Pro, you only need one keyboard cover
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I think over time that's going to be possible and likely to happen. I think Intel also needs to ramp up its game. Their mobile initiatives move too slowly. With AMD struggling, I don't think they provide nearly as large of a fire to light under Intel's butt as they used to do.

But the touch laptops you mentioned are ones that I'm considering purchasing for the kids at home. They have Android tabs as gaming devices, but the older they get the more they need real tools for school. PowerPoint and Word being the big ones. I suppose the RTs can do the job, but I'm just lukewarm on them.

They're already getting very familiar with Win8 from having it on their desktops, so transitioning will be easy. It really does come down to the hardware choice and the apps they'll truly need.
--
After reading postings from the self so-called experts on the MS and Apple forums, I just have to shake my head sadly.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Kramer

said by Kramer:

I didn't realize how cheap the touchscreen Ultrabooks had become. It is going to be a tough sell, especially without a keyboard.

Cheap does not equal light. That Acer is more than twice the weight of the Surface Pro, a big consideration if it's being used all day. And the keyboard is not detachable.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Kramer

I'm not the type of person who splurge on new items but if it wasn't for my current $1500 laptop, I'd be in line on buying one of these no doubt. Any Windows 8 x86 tablet will be my next buy for sure, and I'm willing to spend up to $1500 for one.

RazzyAlias

@charter.com

ArsTechnica and BRG both have said it's over priced and its use is unclear