Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Boricua

MVM

to Boricua

Re: Microsoft Surface Pricing

IMO Microsoft made a strategic error in pricing for the Surface. Apparently Microsoft forgot the 1st law of Sales and marketing -- achieving immediate market share IS everything -- PRICE determines market share.

The Price for the surface is far too high -- does not mater which version.

Microsoft will achieve their penetration goals but it will take far longer than their current plan envisages.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to RazzyAlias

Premium Member

to RazzyAlias
said by RazzyAlias :

ArsTechnica and BRG both have said it's over priced and its use is unclear

well then I guess we don't need to decide for ourselves, lol.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to RazzyAlias

to RazzyAlias
said by RazzyAlias :

Overpriced, maybe. Unclear of it's use? A Windows based tablet is infinitely more useful than any piece of Apple hardware, particularly Apple tablets. The genius needs to reconsider his own credentials.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Kramer

MVM

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

I didn't realize how cheap the touchscreen Ultrabooks had become. It is going to be a tough sell, especially without a keyboard.

Actually you can find the Acer Iconia W510-1674 Windows 8 tablet PC for $499 at the Microsoft online store. In contrast it’s a considerably cheaper product then the Microsoft Surface Pro Windows 8 tablet (and about even with the Surface Windows RT tablet) but when you look closer you’ll see its relatively expensive given the specs. The Acer Iconia W510-1674 has an Intel Atom Z2760 1.50 Ghz CPU, 1366 x 768 10.1” display, 2 GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM, a Lilliputian 32 GB SSD and so on:

»www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· ist.true

Also note that I am unclear on whether or not cheaper Windows 8 tablets use Windows 8 or “Windows 8 Pro”. Some cheaper tablets might also use the 32bit version of the OS in part because of the lower RAM density and the larger install footprint of the 64bit version.

Generally speaking, higher-end computing performance cost more then middling performance. Also note that shrinking the form factor while attempting to maintain that performance also costs more. A smaller Core i5 based ~11” or smaller screen tablet PC may very well cost more then some ~17”, ~15” and 13” Core i5 based laptops.

Also the Microsoft Surface Pro isn’t in a market of its own. It is one Windows 8 tablet in what should be many. I don’t see how Microsoft could undercut their launch partners with fire sale pricing. It would destroy what little incentive OEMs have left to support Microsoft after they (Microsoft) entered the market with their own competing product. Microsoft still needs these OEMs. Why would anyone buy any other Windows 8 tablet if Microsoft’s Surface Pro were significantly cheaper with similar specs? They would be taking a loss on the Surface Pro and they would be killing their competition’s / partners sales.

And finally, earlier Windows 7 Core i5 based PC tablets like the Asus Eee Slate EP121, EB121 (Core i5-470UM Arrandale) and Samsung series 7 (Sandy Bridge mobile) were actually more expensive then the typical pricing of new Core i5 Ivy Bridge based Windows 8 tablets. The pricing is more then reasonable and if anything is lower then expected.

A company like Intel on the other hand had better match ARM’s SoC initiative in the mobile space or undercut it with their own SoC,….and fast. Even if they have to take a loss,…..

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

Also note that I am unclear on whether or not cheaper Windows 8 tablets use Windows 8 or “Windows 8 Pro”.

ARM CPU: RT.
Intel CPU: Win8Pro.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to RazzyAlias

Anon

to RazzyAlias
said by RazzyAlias :

The Surface Pro? It's no way overpriced at all. I'd get one if I got the cash.

Apple iPads (or Android tablets) would be totally useless to me. I rather have a full fledged operating system that I can run things I run today and Surface Pro (or any Windows 8 Pro hybrid/tablets) will fit my needs.
RazzyW8

RazzyW8 to Octavean

Anon

to Octavean
Check the CPUs.

If it has Intel Atom or i5, it's likely the x86 Windows 8.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
More on Windows 8!

»www.fool.com/investing/g ··· yes.aspx

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Octavean:

Also note that I am unclear on whether or not cheaper Windows 8 tablets use Windows 8 or “Windows 8 Pro”.

ARM CPU: RT.
Intel CPU: Win8Pro.

said by RazzyW8 :

Check the CPUs.

If it has Intel Atom or i5, it's likely the x86 Windows 8.

Thanks,…..however,….

I was never unclear on ARM / Windows RT and x86-x64 / Windows 8. In fact I am very clear on such a distinction.

What I was trying to say is that there is Windows 8 (non-Pro) Standard for x86-x64 platforms and Windows 8 Pro for x86-x64 platforms and I am unclear if some cheaper Windows 8 (x86-x64) PC tablets use the non-pro version. Venders don’t always make the distinction well online,...

Normally I wouldn’t question it but I see the pro and non-pro versions for download via Technet and was thinking some venders would probably use it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Ah ok, I see what you mean. That could make a difference in cost...

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to TD Nickell

Anon

to TD Nickell
said by »www.zdnet.com/how-are-wi ··· 0008228/ :

There are two big troubles with the NPD numbers, though.

First, they don't actually represent month one. NPD's release says "Windows 8 initial four week launch sales include the time period of October 21 – November 17, 2012." That survey period starts five days before the launch of Windows 8 and runs for 22 days after the launch event. It also doesn't include Black Friday. The press release might have been released a month after launch, but the numbers represent sales from the first half of November, traditionally the slowest time of the year.

Second, although the NPD press release stated that "Windows 8 tablet sales have been almost non-existent," the research firm failed to count sales of Microsoft's Surface RT, which was the only tablet on the market for much of the post-launch period.

Finally, there's StatCounter, a rival of Net Market Share, which calculated that by November 26, worldwide web usage from devices running Windows 8 was equal to 1.31% of total traffic. Remarkably, that figure is identical to Net Market Share's calculation.

Trying to turn those usage stats into hard numbers is an exercise in fuzzy math, but it's reasonable to assume that at least half of the 40 million licenses Microsoft sold in the month after Windows 8's launch are now in the hands of computer users. And many new PC models are just beginning to hit the market. NPD says only 58% of PCs sold in their sample period were running Windows 8, with the remaining 42% consisting of inventory running Windows 7. That means the numbers at the end of December will be significantly more illuminating.

In other words: Still too early to tell.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

I think over time that's going to be possible and likely to happen. I think Intel also needs to ramp up its game. Their mobile initiatives move too slowly. With AMD struggling, I don't think they provide nearly as large of a fire to light under Intel's butt as they used to do.

Trust me, Intel has a big fire under their butt, with or without AMD. Intel has some very exciting low power products on the road map, but it takes time to take performance, and then power reduce it. I think you will see some cool products over the next few years. Sure, we'd all like it earlier... even Intel - and they are moving as fast as they can to get low power products to market.

Full Disclosure statement - I work for Intel and was part of the team that just launched the latest Intel Atom based tablets known as "Clovertrail". Statements above are my own... not Intel's.
Expand your moderator at work
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to ccallana

to ccallana

Re: Microsoft Surface Pricing

I was a chip designer for AMD, so I know exactly about development and timing, etc. But I also know that Intel worked better and faster with a true competitor and AMD hasn't been a true competitor in a few years.