how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD
reply to robman50

Re: Whats the easiest distro for an WinXP user?

I personally like LinuxMint (»linuxmint.com/)

Download the iso, burn it to cd/dvd or usb flash drive. You can use this little program to create the usb dirve ( »unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ), boot from it and try it without installing, if you like it then click on install.. same is true for the other distros, I'd try a few and see which one you like better (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora, etc)... too many to chose from.. may choices...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I've been playing around with Ubuntu on and off for awhile. I was using an old computer (P3-1000), but recently switched to using a VM on my main Windows computer (Q6600). After finding 12.10 was unusable due to the 3D emulation, I put in 12.04, which is usable. Ubuntu uses the Unity interface by default, which takes a little getting used to.

I looked at the Mint website, but there are a zillion variations to download (Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, XFce). I didn't see any real documentation as to what is the real differences, beyond what I assume is the interface used.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

said by andyross:

I looked at the Mint website, but there are a zillion variations to download (Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, XFce). I didn't see any real documentation as to what is the real differences, beyond what I assume is the interface used.

The differences are the interfaces and some applications. Mint's main versions are Cinnamon and MATE. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2.32, and I don't think they've changed anything in it other than the application names. Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome Shell that tries to bring back the feel of GNOME 2.x .

If you don't understand anything I just said, then just try Cinnamon. Although, if you want to run it in a virtual machine, then you MIGHT have similar graphics problems to those on Ubuntu 12.10 (I'm assuming you installed the guest additions). Otherwise, try MATE since that doesn't require graphics acceleration.