how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Banaticus1

join:2007-11-17
Redlands, CA

Need to get a connection 800-1000 meters out

So, we need to get a connection out to run an IP camera so we can keep an eye on the back gate to the property. We'll be running power out there too, but it would sure make things easier if everything could be running in the same pipe for most of the length. So, I understand that single mode fiber can be run for about 900 meters? Anyone have any suggestions for IP cameras that easily integrate with fiber optic? I've never done anything like this before, but I want to avoid having to set up multiple router stands along the way like I'd have to do it I was running cable.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1

Why not just use wireless? If you really want to use fiber, a fiber to Ethernet converter located near the camera would probably be the best route.

Still me

@verizon.net

There's a lot of trees, really a lot of trees, in between and the terrain changes somewhat so even if we didn't have all the trees there we still wouldn't have line of sight. A wireless signal doesn't really have much hope of making it that far.

balazone
60 billion
Premium
join:2002-04-01
Wheeling, WV
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..
reply to Banaticus1

You need two of these (or similar)
»www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Fibe···02Q0WMWQ

These boxes basically extend your LAN out over the fiber, they do not do any routing or switching.

On the far end you can simply plug in your IP Camera (I would recommend something from Axis) or add a switch then you can add multiple cameras.

Think of this as a very long ethernet cable.

Expand your moderator at work

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Banaticus1

Re: Need to get a connection 800-1000 meters out

Depending on the media converters, MM (multi-mode) fibre would likely be fine... It's good for distances upto about 2 km. Single mode can be used reliably upto about 160km. So 900m is next to nothing...

Either switches with GBIC/SFP ports, or stand-along media converters would work, depending on what hardware you've got now... It would be easier, and likely MUCH cheaper, then cameras with native fibre connections. It would require a small cabinet or enclosure at the far end, but that's fairly trivial, compared to running a km of cable.

Banaticus1

join:2007-11-17
Redlands, CA

So, where's a good place to buy a kilometer of cable? I tried using Google, but all I got were places that sell up to 30m.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Banaticus1

Anixter
5055 E. Landon Drive
Anaheim, CA 92807
U.S.
Tel: (714) 779 0500
Fax: (714) 777 8247

Should be more then happy to sell you whatever you need...

What you need, of course, will depend on how you're planning to get from A to B... Underground in a duct, underground direct buried, aerial, etc...

You're going to have a tough time getting preconnectorized cables that long, so you make have to fork out some bucks to have ends installed in the field; or see if Anixter can make a custom assembly up for you.

balazone
60 billion
Premium
join:2002-04-01
Wheeling, WV
Reviews:
·Insight Communic..
reply to Banaticus1

Another thing you could try is ethernet over coax.

»ca.startech.com/Networking-IO/Me···~EOC110K

It may be cheaper than fiber and you can get all the tools to put ends on the cable at Home Depot or Graybar.

Expand your moderator at work