Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Gone

Re: ok a strange topic: Dissolving Grandma. Part Deux

said by Gone:

Funerals and interment aren't for the person who died. They're for the people left behind.

Peoples wishes (the dead people) should come first. This is only respect, no?

After a viewing, does it really mater if they are buried in dirt, water, burned or dissolved? Or does it really affect the "closure" of the loved one left behind when the "loved one" didn't see mom's remains disposed of per their own selfish wishes for their own closure instead of the dead ones true wishes? Hmm

Two sides, but I think the dead persons wish (if any, if affordable etc) comes first.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by hm :

Respect for what, exactly? You're dead. Gone. Expired. No longer part of this Earth. Maybe you're in heaven, maybe you're in eternal oblivion, but either way you won't care. The only thing that matters are the people left behind, their memories of you and how they want to celebrate your life and continue to remember you while they're still living. Telling them how they can mourn and remember you after you're gone is nothing more than attempting to maintain a certain self-centred arrogance from beyond the grave, and something I refuse to be a part of.

My wishes are quite simple - whatever my loved ones want. If they want to dissolve, flush me down the toilet and then use whatever money I may have left aside for something else, so be it. I'll be dead and gone and won't care, so my "wishes" are of little relevance. What they do is not for me to decide. It's for them. That's what respect is all about, not the other way around.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by Gone:

said by hm :

Respect for what, exactly?

ok

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gone
I'm with Gone on this one. I don't care if my loved ones dump my body in a ditch when I'm gone. In fact, I encourage it. I have no further use for my body at that point.
--
Tom

hm

@videotron.ca
said by TLS2000:

I'm with Gone on this one. I don't care if my loved ones dump my body in a ditch when I'm gone. In fact, I encourage it. I have no further use for my body at that point.

But, that's what you so wish. So your wishes will be respected.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

That's your belief, and I hope you've let your loved ones know your wishes. This is a case, of people having a diversity of opinion on it.

From the original cited article.

quote:
"We believe this process, which enables a portion of human remains to be flushed down a drain, to be undignified," Patrick McGee, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester, once told USA Today.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hm
said by hm :

said by TLS2000:

But, that's what you so wish. So your wishes will be respected.

Or they could spend untold thousands of dollars. My point was it doesn't matter, because I'll be dead. I'd rather that they didn't waste their money on a funeral, but if they feel the need to do so it's their choice.
--
Tom

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to hm
said by hm :

said by Gone:

Funerals and interment aren't for the person who died. They're for the people left behind.

Nope. In Ontario, at least, it is the estate executor who makes those decisions, not the deceased, even in the case of a pre-arrangement.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by DKS:

said by hm :

said by Gone:

Nope. In Ontario, at least, it is the estate executor who makes those decisions, not the deceased, even in the case of a pre-arrangement.

In Ontario is the key word. Canada is not Ontario (which may come as a shock to some here). Some fine differences in will and estates between Ontario and Quebec and other prov's.

In some prov's, like Quebec, contents of the will take precedence. And the law is setup to "respect" that.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by hm :

In Ontario is the key word. Canada is not Ontario (which may come as a shock to some here). Some fine differences in will and estates between Ontario and Quebec and other prov's.

There are only two provinces that have different laws, and those two provinces do not form the majority of the Canadian population. What Quebec does, in the context of this discussion about a company based out of Sask, is irrelevant.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to hm
said by hm :

In some prov's, like Quebec, contents of the will take precedence. And the law is setup to "respect" that.

And so what is law in Quebec is not the law in the rest of Canada.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by DKS:

And so what is law in Quebec is not the law in the rest of Canada.

It is also worth pointing out that while BC allows someone to will the way they want their remains disposed of, the funeral arrangements are still up to the administrator of the estate.

Quebec is the odd one out, as they allow someone to will their funeral preferences as well as disposal. That seems very odd if you ask me, as financial means can change over the years and put a family into a position of hardship if bound by a will to the way they must perform a funeral service. Doesn't surprise me that other provinces don't make such requests binding.