Search similar:

uniqs
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

navyson

Nexus 10 and 7 lacks Miracast wireless display

Very disappointing Google. Miracast Wireless Display technology is available on the Nexus 4 smartphone(and a few others as as the Samsumg SIII) however. All initial PR reports indicated that both the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 would support this with the Jellybean 4.2 update. On the day when when the Nexus 10 was available, even the google store mentioned this. This section however was quietly removed.

Apple's equivalent "Airplay" has been around for sometime now and it would have been great for Google to play "catch up" in this area.

Google has been very silent on the issue.

»www.phonesreview.co.uk/2 ··· display/

Miracast is a solution for seamlessly displaying video between devices without the need of a network connection or cable, and enables a user to wirelessly show pictures and video on their smartphone or tablet to their big screen TV. However it appears that although the Nexus 4 works with Miracast wireless display, the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 lacks that functionality.
navyson

navyson

Interesting implementation of Miracast here.

»www.amazon.com/ACTIONTEC ··· +adapter

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson
said by navyson:

enables a user to wirelessly show pictures and video on their smartphone or tablet to their big screen TV. However it appears that although the Nexus 4 works with Miracast wireless display, the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 lacks that functionality.

If that is your only interest (vs live game play etc), and happen to have a ROKU, the Juice Ch and App for that will let you do just that, and in the background so you can still use the Android for something else at the same time if you wish.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson
said by navyson:

Interesting it does not yet appear on Actiontec's website.
Amazon's info is rather sketchy.

Paul928
join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

Paul928

said by Hayward0:

said by navyson:

Interesting it does not yet appear on Actiontec's website.
Amazon's info is rather sketchy.

Yea and I usually stay away from a product until it is reviewed by a few people.... I hate being a first adopter! Even though this product really interests me.
Paul928

Paul928 to navyson

to navyson
I just noticed that after doing a little research on this product I saw something that said "This item will be released on December 23, 2012." So I'll just wait and see the reviews after that.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson
»gigaom.com/video/google- ··· rnative/
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

So it looks like Google(like Apple) wants to come up with its own version and thus ditching the industry standard(Miracast Wireless Display). This is thus cause further fragmentation and confusion for consumers.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Paul928

Premium Member

to Paul928
Looks to be a variation of their WiFi HDTV relay devices, at least its in identical case.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· SzfNVq5E

Miracast Wireless Display on the Nexus 4 phone.

I think it is a big disappointment for Google to have not put this technology into its Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablet since it currently does not have an alternate solution.
navyson

1 edit

navyson

Great News. As per the youtube video below, for a phone to be Miracast compatible, all that is needed is a software update and that is just what the Sony Xperia got to activate Miracast. Software update is not dependent upon Jellybean 4.2.

I would assume it is the phone manufacturer in conjuction with the wireless provider that would facilitate this update.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· mj_l8hYU
navyson

navyson

Miracast Wireless Display on a Nexus 4.

»www.droid-life.com/2012/ ··· ptv3000/