share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Drilling into concrete ceiling

I need to mount a projector that is about 12 lbs or so on a projector mount with a concrete ceiling, I was wondering what's the best way to anchor it?

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ

Tapcons will hold it, as long as the concrete is good.

home depot has 'em in the hardware aisle.

you should use a hammer drill to drill the holes, but it can be done with a regular drill and a masonry bit. it just takes longer.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

And, depending on the concrete, expect to use one bit per hole.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Juggernaut:

If I had to use one bit per hole I would have bankrupted the company.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Sc0tt

said by Sc0tt:

Tapcons will hold it, as long as the concrete is good.

home depot has 'em in the hardware aisle.

you should use a hammer drill to drill the holes, but it can be done with a regular drill and a masonry bit. it just takes longer.

yeah I have a hammer drill but it took a fall over the summer I doubt epoxy is going to hold it as it snapped right at the neck between the handle and the top motor part.. sucks since it was not bad.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

I was using Bosch bits into pre-stressed concrete and it chewed them like gum.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Juggernaut:

I was using Bosch bits into pre-stressed concrete and it chewed them like gum.

Visualize at the top of a 40' wooden extension ladder drilling into a pre-stressed concrete ceiling to mount Kindorf hangers for 6" galvanized conduit.

Milwaukee 1-1/2 in. SDS Max Rotary Hammer Kit

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I have roybi bits it came in a clear case along with some metal bits, I have some tapcons but I just want to make sure it's solid since it's being mounted over a bed.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

Projector on a concrete ceiling over a bed?
Okay, Subaru, what is going on? Are you living in some sort of entertaining prison?

Seriously though, Ryobi bits suck, but it might be able to get 4 holes. I think I know which clear case you're talking about. They don't have concrete bits in that box, only wood, metal and masonry.

The tapcon box should have come with a bit.

If you didn't use an oversized bit to drill the hole, your tapcons should hold pretty solidly. I'd only be worried about the concrete giving out. 12lbs is very little though.

You'll most definitively need a hammer drill

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Jack_in_VA

I was using a Bosch hammer drill, and the bits were pounded flat. I can relate. It wasn't 40' up though. That's ugly.
--

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Subaru

i have a hilti te-7c. it will drill into anything, including steel water pipes

even when i did that, i didn't kill the bit.

as for the 12 pound projector----the tapcons are rated for way more than that.

i have also had good luck using redhead and hilti expanding anchors. they make small ones that should work if you go that route. they probably have better pull strength if it makes you more comfortable.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to alkizmo

I want a larger screen size And for the ryobi bits I'm sure they are not great since it came with drill bits, screw bits and various drill sizes in a 30 pc case so you can only give so much for $16 or 20 I spent for it.

My current hammer drill is broken from the fall 11 ft off a ladder, it still runs but I don't think loctite epoxy is enough with the forward force to keep the body from snapping again.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

EGeezer
Go Cats
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Sc0tt

said by Sc0tt:

... you should use a hammer drill to drill the holes, but it can be done with a regular drill and a masonry bit. it just takes longer.

Just curious - How does one avoid hitting a reinforcing rod? I'd hate to start drilling then be stymied by one of those.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Subaru

Agree on the hilti:) also Ryobi bits are garbage.
--
Professional student pilot!

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

Here is another option.

Why not clean the concrete ceiling and Ram-set a piece of 3/4" plywood with some PL 400 to the ceiling that is slightly larger than the footprint of the projector.

Then paint or stain the plywood and use some wood screws to attach the projector.

Just a thought.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to Subaru

I find that drilling holes for tapcons almost requires a hammer drill so the hole size is accurate. Otherwise you're working at it so long that the hole becomes enlongated and the tapcon doesn't grip properly. Especially if drilling into softer materials like CMU.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah I kinda figured this, the weight I listed before must of been the box and package but the projector alone is just only 6.6 lbs hardly much of anything.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

2 recommendations

reply to zach3

said by zach3:

Why not clean the concrete ceiling and Ram-set a piece of 3/4" plywood with some PL 400 to the ceiling that is slightly larger than the footprint of the projector.

Then paint or stain the plywood and use some wood screws to attach the projector.

Because that would require you to ram set the plywood. Plus PL400. Then paint or stain it. Then secure it with 3/4" wood screws. All your work is to just to get to the same point you are at when you started...attaching the projector to something.

Call me silly, but a couple of tapcons is going to be easier, faster, hold just as well. Plus little risk of spalling so when the time comes to take it down, you can and not leave a decent divit. Plus Tapcons can be installed by a standard drill if you had to. No Ramset to buy. Also no risk of the nail not driving fully and sticking out loose.

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

but the projector alone is just only 6.6 lbs hardly much of anything.

Duct tape.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

Just curious - How does one avoid hitting a reinforcing rod? I'd hate to start drilling then be stymied by one of those.

Use a strong magnet and locate the rods.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Subaru

Tapcons FTW... Sleeve or expanding anchors would work, but are WAY beyond overkill for this application.

If you have to put that much pressure on your drill, you've got either a crappy bit, or a crappy drill... I'm a Hilti guy, myself, my TE-5 is 10 years old, and works amazing - can drill 5/8" holes all day... Key is a good bit!

You can get a small package of Tapcons with the proper sized bit for few bucks - the bit's not great, but for 2 or 4 holes, it'll be fine. Be sure to hold the drill square to the ceiling, have good footing, and don't let it wander.

BTW - what kind of space are you mounting it in, that you've got a concrete ceiling?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Juggernaut:

If I had to use one bit per hole I would have bankrupted the company.

Agree. I have masonry bits that are still good after 10+ Years and 100's of holes. Buying quality bits pays hidden dividends like longer life than one use.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Subaru

Watch out for electrical conduit embedded in the concrete (not knowing what the 'ceiling' is the floor of above you).

How thick is the ceiling slab? If it isn't really thick (8"+), don't use expanding anchors - use Tapcons, or threaded rod anchored in epoxy. If using rods, use lock nuts to hold the projector onto the rods.

Westofhere

join:2005-04-07
West Coast
reply to Subaru

OP, make sure you are not drilling into a post-tension layer. If you hit one of the cables in the concrete it will not end well for you.
»www.concreteconstruction.net/con···abs.aspx

If you are not in a post-tension layer, these are the best anchors I have used. »fasteners.stanleysupplyonline.co···-anchors

We use them to hold all sorts of HVAC mechanical equipment/ ducting. Far better than having to try and pound in a drop-in over your head.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Doctor Olds

I would have thought that Bosch bits were good quality for the price I paid. But I do agree. I don't cheap out on equipment for the same reason. It's false economy to do otherwise.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Westofhere

This building is old from the early 60's I think.. so does post-tension still apply?

nm saw the link dates

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

one doesn't avoid rebar. you just make a new hole.

there are devices to sense rebar but they are too expensive for me.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Well I now know how thick the ceiling is.. had some work done so I'd say it's about 1/2" or so.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

Sounds like what I had in my basement... 1/2-3/4" thick concrete on a metal mesh?

I'd drill holes large enough to use toggle bolts. If you have the height, you could consider mounting a piece of wood up there, like a short length of 2x8 which you could secure very strongly up there on it's face using a combo of liquid nails and toggle bolts, then mount the projector to the 2x8...

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to Subaru

Lots and lots of super glue.

On a more serious note, tapcons are probably the most effective, bulding a wood frame and base would look nicer but would take longer with questionable gains in terms of weight it holds.