spc
uniqs
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

xeonic to BroadcastGuy5

Premium Member

to BroadcastGuy5

Re: [BC] TELUS Optik TV/Internet via Fibre (GPON)

I think your best option would be to connect a switch between your ONT (the Alcatel Lucent box) and the Actiontec. Leave your STB's connected to the Actiontec and disable it's wireless. Then connect your ASUS RT-N56U to the switch and use the RT-N56U for the rest of your network.

Only port 1 on the ONT is enabled and if you connect the STB's directly to the ONT (via a switch) they will get public IP addresses and your PVR, etc. won't work properly.

I don't know what options the RT-N56U has but it may be possible to configure it so you can connect the STB's to it and due away with the switch and Actiontec but it might be more trouble than its worth to setup.
BroadcastGuy5
join:2012-08-20

BroadcastGuy5

That makes sense. They need to be on the same network so they can communicate with one another.

Thanks for your help. I think this will be a good setup. The RT-N56U does have an IPTV menu with Multicast options. Perhaps that's where I'd set it up to work with the STB's.
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

1 edit

xeonic

Premium Member

No problem, I've had mine setup this way for over a year - no issues.

If you did want to try and use the RT-N56U you'd have to setup an igmpproxy, QOS and make sure your TTV multicast doesn't flood your wireless by using vlans or igmp snooping.

peonsayswhat
@telus.net

peonsayswhat

Anon

When do you think Groupon will complete its recent network changes?