jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Signals] Signal swings on DS with Temps.

Click for full size
Click for full size
I don't recall DS signals changing this much due to outside temps. What might that indicate? The US stays at 43 dBmv and never changes. The top shot is at 7am-32F, the bottom is 3pm-50F. I have only a foot of drop outside from the tap then up the wall into the attic so no exposed connections to the weather.

Extide

join:2000-06-11
I would say there is nothing to worry about. That is a bit on the extreme side for temperature, but you have very good SNR ratios which is really the important part, 37-39dB is very good.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks, I have no connectivity, performance issues, just found those swings kinda extreme. I was wondering if those 8 channels need some kind of tuning or balancing?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Click for full size
It's in the 30s right now. My DS power level went up about 1 dBmV in the cold weather.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Darknessfall:

It's in the 30s right now. My DS power level went up about 1 dBmV in the cold weather.

I would think 1 or 2 isn't bad but 8 or 9 seemed a bit much to me. When I first got these 8 channels the pwr was 8 to 12 most of the time so I added a 3db anntenuator at the modem to bring them down to 9 or so but a couple of weeks ago they dropped during fairly mild temps to 0 to 3 so I removed it and now I see them high when it's below freezing and low when the day warms.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick
I usually see a fluctuation of a few dB with the temperature variations of each day.

The larger fluctuations you are experiencing may be due to a (defective) AGC circuit in a line amp somewhere not compensating correctly for the normal changes in cable attenuation with temperature.

See this post: »Re: [Signals] Is this a Proper Hookup?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks guys, yes, telcodad See Profile that's kind of what I was guessing to be the case.