TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to tmc8080

MVM

to tmc8080

Re: reality, deal with it..

said by tmc8080:

Now let's see Google challenge some AT&T /CenturyTel(qwest) geographies...

Aren't they already challenging an AT&T region? Not sure how much U-verse is deployed in KCK or KCMO, but the AT&T Southwest region covers the states of that area. And if AT&T is not the ILEC for those cities, CenturyLink surely is.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by NormanS :

Not sure how much U-verse is deployed in KCK or KCMO

Tons. Its everywhere here.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by tmc8080:

Now let's see Google challenge some AT&T /CenturyTel(qwest) geographies...

Aren't they already challenging an AT&T region? Not sure how much U-verse is deployed in KCK or KCMO, but the AT&T Southwest region covers the states of that area. And if AT&T is not the ILEC for those cities, CenturyLink surely is.

Who else is left..? Verizon doesn't want any more geography, unless it's $10+ a gigabyte wireless data. What I meant was this premise (for google) to expand beyond it's original deployments and out of the two google lottery winning states. West Virginia and North Carolina come to mind. Also, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico.

It's also time for consumers to lose the apathy, to rise up and push for change to incubment power which solidifies ISP monopolies (ensuring bad corporate behaviors). Apathy will get you keep you in the 3rd world broadband dark for decades to come if you do nothing. The one size fits all of telco & cableco duopoly is broken. No longer can regulations stifle competition because at one time there were dozens of unregulated carriers stringing copper around willy nilly that didn't interoperate and created chaos. Now government goes out of it's way to protect incumbent monopoly franchises from facing competition and as a result innovation is left decades behind other countries. Several of which, if you put them together create a near similar population & geography size.

Google fiber is a reasonable alternative to that gridlock and will prove that a partnership model can move consumer access to broadband forward where it's been buried for generations. While it's not the only model that can succeed, it's the one with the money behind it to push back against incumbent lobbying and corruption to protect doing NOTHING and charging consumers more for less.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by tmc8080:

Who else is left..? Verizon doesn't want any more geography, unless it's $10+ a gigabyte wireless data. What I meant was this premise (for google) to expand beyond it's original deployments and out of the two google lottery winning states. West Virginia and North Carolina come to mind. Also, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico.

Just CenturyLink. Since AT&T is already effectively challenged by Google (check the DSLR AT&T Southwest forum; both Kansas and Missouri are covered), their North Carolina (AT&T Southeast) presence is included.

How about Comcast? Do they have a KCK/KCMO presence?

It's also time for consumers to lose the apathy, to rise up and push for change to incubment power which solidifies ISP monopolies (ensuring bad corporate behaviors) ...

Okay. One either signs up for service from an incumbent (apathy), or does without. One could vote for change in government, since government regulations are contributing to the problem; but look at the 2012 election results to see how that went. The voters pretty much chose the status quo ante.

Google fiber is a reasonable alternative to that gridlock and will prove that a partnership model can move consumer access to broadband forward where it's been buried for generations. While it's not the only model that can succeed, it's the one with the money behind it to push back against incumbent lobbying and corruption to protect doing NOTHING and charging consumers more for less.

But Google doesn't seem to want to expand beyond KCK/KCMO. And even in areas with effective incumbent challengers, such as Paxio (in Santa Clara, California) and Sonic.net, LLC (Fusion and fiber in the S.F. Bay Area), people aren't leaving the incumbents (AT&T, Comcast, Road Runner, and Verizon) in droves for the challengers. Apathy? Or uncertainty that the "little guy" will still be around in ten years?