All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
td854
join:2011-07-06
Columbus, OH

td854 to adam1991

to adam1991

Re: Intermittent disconnects (Central Ohio)

Running that now. Have had 2 disconnects in the last 45 minutes after not having any since around noon. This is like the worst time to have these as I run servers for my buddies and I.
td854

td854

»/r3/sm ··· 331cec93

Well there it is, disconnecting a lot tonight as well. had at least 5-10 disconnects just this evening.
td854

td854

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do at this point? Should I just place a service call with WOW? Every night repeated disconnects and apparently we're getting a lot of pixelation on certain channels as well (I don't watch TV) but if the signals are good as someone mentioned, I don't get it.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

If you're using one of their modems, then yes, place a call for a truck roll.

If you're using your own modem, you really should rent one of theirs for a short period of time. They can't really troubleshoot unless it's their cable modem.
td854
Columbus, OH

td854

I'm using one of their modems, and it was literally brand new when I got it, I was the first user. I suppose it's possible that its gone bad but that would be some pretty poor luck.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

You'd think, but I have my own story here.

This happened a few years ago. I had EXTREMELY slow upload speeds. Techs all validated my complaint.

Over the course of several visits and several weeks, they were unable to fix this. They cycled THREE cable modems through, and rewired everything back from the cable modem all the way to main lines running back to the fiber point. Still nothing.

I'm not sure how this happened, but finally one of the techs who showed up got together with someone on the phone who had a brainstorm: just re-flash the cable modem from the head end.

BAM! done. ????? You mean, no one had ever done that in all of this? And ALL THREE of their replacement modems all had the same problematic firmware and behaved THE EXACT SAME WAY?

I was watching Big Bang Theory tonight, and here's Chuck Lorre's vanity card from this episode:

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." --Mark Twain
td854
Columbus, OH

td854

Well I just had an interesting experience this evening. A friend of mine who i don't normally voice chat with logged into my ventrilo server. He's in Ohio but not with WOW and during talking to him, everything disconnected but he did not disconnect from me and we were still talking. I disconnected from a Teamspeak server in Dallas, a game server on the west coast, and another friend of mine connected to my Ventrilo in PA disconnected from me. This leads me to believe that the connection issue is in some intermittent faulty regional router somewhere. I had a similar problem with insight as I'd only disconnect from things in specific regions of the country and it took them almost a year and a half to fix it. I may try to find some servers I can ping all at once and see which ones drop when I disconnect, it may help to track down the general area.