share rss forum feed

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Speed] [BUSINESS CLASS] 12/2 or 22 Tier After Upgrade

Hey guys --

Has anyone else noticed that their speeds significantly decreased after Comcast rolled out the "free upgrade" (from 12/2 -> 16/4 or whatever) in October?

I went from 80+/30+ boosted speeds to exactly 21.19/4.01 (they don't go higher, ever).

So, I've called tech support about 10 times now, and the best I can get is "well, it's still higher than your contracted rate..."
They don't have the ability to "roll back" the configuration change on my gateway, and they won't bump up my tier because I got "extra" during the trial. Seems a bit shady. Adding insult to injury, this "increase" happened right after my trial ended. If my speeds had been like this during my trial, I certainly wouldn't have signed...

Let me know. Do you have similar issues? Have you talked to anyone about it? Have you gotten anywhere? I can't be the only one.

[EDIT] Adding that I posted in the Comcast Direct forum three days ago and haven't had a reply, and the Executive Response Unit representative has not returned my voice mails after her initial contact.

Thanks!

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Most of the posts / comments I've seen here and elsewhere on the net have said basically the same, and it certainly holds true for me as well (I'm on the 'now 16/3' Biz Class tier), but I'll take a consistent, dependable contracted speed over a BS powerboost speed - that only lasts a few seconds and degrades to a constantly varying up/down speed - any day of the week. After all, for most business usage, especially VOIP, constant is far more important.

You did 'sign up for' - and agree to - the 'contracted' speeds, so you really can't complain about "losing" the speedboost 'bonus' that accomplished little anyway... I consistently saw 40 down-30 up speeds with powerboost, but running ShaperProbe or doing real file downloads always gave me 12/2 speeds before the 'upgrade' (with constant variations of speed on long transfers), so I'm OK with the increase, though I'd have been OK WITHOUT the price increase -

So in reality, speeds did NOT significantly decrease, they really did increase, but you lost the 'pretty numbers' you saw with Powerboost on typical speed tests - those numbers might impress the 'gamer crowd', but most of us true business users knew better all along.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
PB aside, the 27/7 speed profile is jacked, and my speeds are anything but consistent after 'PB' ends. So no, that's not acceptable for a business class connection.

At least former 12/2 folks have consistent speeds after PB. 27/7 in some areas, not so much.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to airwavz
said by airwavz:

So in reality, speeds did NOT significantly decrease, they really did increase, but you lost the 'pretty numbers' you saw with Powerboost on typical speed tests - those numbers might impress the 'gamer crowd', but most of us true business users knew better all along.

I ran large file transfers from Microsoft and consistently saw 7 MBps (not Mbps) through the whole download.

IMHO (and others'?), the "trial period" should accurately reflect the service I'm paying $2,000 for when I sign a two year contract. I can understand a slight decrease or heavy load times, but losing 80% of my speed because something wasn't set up right in the first place is not my fault. They have these gateways so locked down that I have no way of knowing, and my installation technician told me I could reasonably expect those high speeds. He said most Starter package folks got them, too.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
On all of the speed tiers I've been on with business (16/2 -> 50/10 -> 22/5 -> 27/7), I've never had anything like that happen (50/10 had zero PowerBoost as well). On all of the other tiers, it's always been less than 30 MB worth of downstream PB, and about 10 MB for up. With the uncapped PB throughput that I've been experiencing, those "buckets" run out in just a few seconds.
--
KI6RIT

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to airwavz
said by airwavz:

...I'll take a consistent, dependable contracted speed over a BS powerboost speed - that only lasts a few seconds and degrades to a constantly varying up/down speed - any day of the week. After all, for most business usage, especially VOIP, constant is far more important...

...speeds did NOT significantly decrease, they really did increase, but you lost the 'pretty numbers' you saw with Powerboost on typical speed tests - those numbers might impress the 'gamer crowd', but most of us true business users knew better all along.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to n_w95482
said by n_w95482:

On all of the speed tiers I've been on with business (16/2 -> 50/10 -> 22/5 -> 27/7), I've never had anything like that happen (50/10 had zero PowerBoost as well). On all of the other tiers, it's always been less than 30 MB worth of downstream PB, and about 10 MB for up. With the uncapped PB throughput that I've been experiencing, those "buckets" run out in just a few seconds.

Maybe mine was just really, really wrong then...

Test in September, 2012:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.233.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 37842 Kbps.
Downstream: 71368 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4532-4557 KB;
Shaping rate: 32110 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 69157 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

EDIT -- Adding the one just now...

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.107.216.19.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4002 Kbps.
Downstream: 9933 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 5296-5325 KB;
Shaping rate: 3136 Kbps.

Median received rate: 9744 Kbps.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to mario02423
My direct thread hasn't even been viewed. Yours appears to have no replies, but at least 2 people read it.
--

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Got a call from some 866 number today telling me there's an issue "being worked on" in my area... I saw 8% packet loss this morning, so hopefully that's the case. Probably won't mean much since the techs told me everything was now provisioned correctly and I won't see speeds above 21/4. Still haven't heard back from Corp. Response.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by mario02423:

Got a call from some 866 number today telling me there's an issue "being worked on" in my area... I saw 8% packet loss this morning, so hopefully that's the case. Probably won't mean much since the techs told me everything was now provisioned correctly and I won't see speeds above 21/4. Still haven't heard back from Corp. Response.

Yeah that is probably unrelated I'm afraid.
--

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to mario02423
During this free upgrade I immediately lost PowerBoost on the upload side. Until recently my download side maintained a reduced level of PowerBoost. Now PowerBoost seems to be gone.

My 12/2 +PowerBoost account is now running a consistent 21/4 -PowerBoost. I am a very happy camper.
--
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
So 12/2 people now have 21/4 with no power boost and 22/5 people have 27/7 with minimal download PB and zero upload PB. You guys got a 2x improvement.

I may just downgrade to the 21/4 if that's what the sustained speeds are. Not that much slower than the former 22/5 and would be a lot cheaper. And the profile actually works.
--

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
If that'd make you happy, go for it!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by mario02423:

If that'd make you happy, go for it!

Well at this point since there is no end in sight to the 27/7 issues, I'd rather go back to what I essentially had before but for cheaper. If I thought the 27/7 profile would be fixed anytime soon, I'd be less inclined to do this.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to mario02423
said by mario02423:

said by n_w95482:

Maybe mine was just really, really wrong then...

Test in September, 2012:

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.233.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 37842 Kbps.
Downstream: 71368 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 4532-4557 KB;
Shaping rate: 32110 Kbps.

Median received rate: 69157 Kbps.

EDIT -- Adding the one just now...

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.107.216.19.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4002 Kbps.
Downstream: 9933 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 5296-5325 KB;
Shaping rate: 3136 Kbps.

Median received rate: 9744 Kbps.

Yep, you were misprovisioned if you were on starter. You are now on the correct tier.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

So 12/2 people now have 21/4 with no power boost and 22/5 people have 27/7 with minimal download PB and zero upload PB. You guys got a 2x improvement.

I may just downgrade to the 21/4 if that's what the sustained speeds are. Not that much slower than the former 22/5 and would be a lot cheaper. And the profile actually works.

No, 12/2 have 17/3, exactly as they should, unless they are misprovisioned.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by JohnInSJ:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a misprovision then I guess. This has been a huge clusterf***.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pflog:

said by JohnInSJ:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a misprovision then I guess. This has been a huge clusterf***.

I don't think that anyone in this thread has said that they were getting sustained speeds of 21/4 for the BC starter package. I have seen the word "consistent" used, but I suspect that applies to short on-line speed tests that also include at least some PowerBoost residue. I do not see sustained speeds greater than ~17/3 on my starter tier connection.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.254.162.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3735 Kbps.
Downstream: 93969 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 3658 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9067-10006 KB;
Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

It might be helpful if the posters talking about getting 21/4 for starter tier service posted ShaperProbe results.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Fair enough, it could just be "sustained" PB of 21/4 I guess.

Yes, if people could be specific about PB vs. non-PB sustained speeds, it would help ensure everyone is on the same page.
--

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to mario02423
Middle TN, approx. 30 miles closer to Nashville than Netfixer, former "12/2" biz class customer, now 16/3 or 17/3 (maybe 16.5? - lol) - these numbers have been VERY consistent since the 'upgrade' was rolled out here.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3950 Kbps.
Downstream: 20675 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 4911-4936 KB;
Shaping rate: 3173 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 8973-9184 KB;
Shaping rate: 16688 Kbps.

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Yep, you were misprovisioned if you were on starter. You are now on the correct tier.

Right. The idea is this: I wouldn't have signed a two year agreement with my current speeds. I was incorrectly given the super fast tier during my 30-day window and was led to believe (by my install tech, phone reps, AND sales rep) that the fast speeds were normal and to be expected. That is not my fault.

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to mario02423
Holy crap, that's nuts. I've never seen that before for business, it definitely must have been provisioned wrong.
--
KI6RIT

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to mario02423
Well I received a call from escalations who had spoken to the technician I'd spoken with (who told me he knew the modem swap wouldn't fix this) and she indicated the tech said everything is fine.

She didn't even know about the newer speeds!

ComcastDJ See Profile, who was helping me swap the modem and seemed to have been working on this issue, has not logged into the site in over 2 weeks, and your and my posts in the direct forum are being ignored.

This is business class support? It's been nearly TWO MONTHS since this profile change and they still don't even know about it, let alone how to fix it apparently.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to mario02423
I am working with someone from escalations, and I think if I can give them the address of a few people whose connection is NOT working properly with 27/7 and some whose connection is IS working properly, they may be able to identify a commonality (be it type of CMTS or something).

If anyone is willing, can you please PM me your address or nearest cross street and city? I have a feeling they'd need the service address to be able to find the CMTS, but perhaps someone from Comcast can chime in and let us know what the minimum amount of info they'd need in order to locate the CMTS would be.

Thanks in advance!
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by pflog:

If anyone is willing, can you please PM me your address or nearest cross street and city? I have a feeling they'd need the service address to be able to find the CMTS, but perhaps someone from Comcast can chime in and let us know what the minimum amount of info they'd need in order to locate the CMTS would be.

PM sent. Thanks for taking this initiative!

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA
reply to pflog
I sent one too. Good luck in getting this resolved!
--
KI6RIT

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Thank you both and depster See Profile as well for sending me your info.

I passed your 3 addresses and your symptoms on and hopefully with enough data points, they will figure out what's wrong.

Please if you are experiencing this, or if you have a working 27/7 or 17/3 with consistent speeds after PB and "a lot" of power boost still, please consider IM'ing me your address so those of us experiencing problems may get this resolved sooner. It's already been nearly 2 months.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Well the escalations people are telling me "everything on the CMTS looks fine" (meanwhile, they didn't even know about the 27/7 plan until I told them).

Tech came out, fixed some loose fittings, a nicked cable, etc. But despite what he called a "better signal" and that he eliminated the ripples, the problem persisted (we both knew that would be the case).

He called someone who noticed a problem or "extra code" in the boot file or something. They removed that, pushed it to my modem and still no change. The tech couldn't do anything so they had to leave, which is why the ball is yet again back in the court with escalations (who want me to have yet another tech sent out ).

I suppose I should be happy I'm using FreeBSD. I plugged both my windows 7 work laptop and my wife's macbook pro directly into the modem and the throughput is even more erratic. Though perhaps their TCP stacks aren't tuned. I thought win7 and OSX 10.5+ had "auto-tuning" TCP stacks.
--

mario02423

Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mario02423
Corporate Escalations called me once two weeks ago, left me a message to return her call, and I did about 10 minutes later. I left a voicemail, called and left another one the next day, then called last week and lft one last one. Each time her message says she's "On the other line," so I've written a letter to Comcast Corporate that was mailed today. People are starting to notice that this is a much bigger issue than one person's speed... Plus a Comcast rep on Twitter told pflog See Profile that PowerBoost doesn't exist on Business Class... »twitter.com/jkc120/status/276834117293838336

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Click for full size
My corporate escalations person REALLY is trying to help me. I know she is. I think her hands are tied because they're telling her "the boot file and CMTS check out".

So I spoke with her again tonight, and as an experiment we tried dropping me to the 17/3 profile. It is doing the exact same thing as the 27/7 profile (see attached).

What's even MORE interesting is that the powerboost is lasting almost exactly for the first 100MB of the file on the downstream side. PB lasted for ~40 seconds on this 17Mbps plan, whereas it lasted ~24 seconds for 27Mbps.

From JohnInSJ See Profile's 17/3 IO graph, his powerboost is lasting for almost exactly 20s, about half what mine is.

I still think the CMTS isn't honoring the modem's boot file parameters, but I can't get anyone at Comcast to give this any serious inspection.

*edit* attaching 17Mbps IO graph.