Search similar:

uniqs
deminicus
join:2003-01-09
Coatesville, PA

1 edit

deminicus

[Northeast] 3 router setup and remote app issues

Hey, I wanted to finally try the setup that allows all the features to work. (»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my own router as primary and keep remote DVR)

Everything works except using the fios mobile or fios remote app to use the virtual remote. Web dvr access and controls as well as app dvr controls works fine. I just can't use the remote to switch channels etc..

It would appear that it wants the actiontec's wireless to be enabled and connected to. I think all the remote dvr stuff works since it's designed for external access, whereas the remote is actually internal to the system.

Did anyone get this to work? Is there some way to tunnel this from my own router to the secondary and finally to the actiontec?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

It requires that the wireless device (phone or tablet) be on the same subnet as the DVR/STB.
deminicus
Coatesville, PA

deminicus

Thanks for the reply, so in other words I would need to enable the wireless antenna on the actiontec and connect my ipad to it instead of my primary router.... so it is a limitation of the 3 router setup...right?

Is it technically possible to somehow set only my mobile device on that subnet via my primary router? Or is it outside the bounds of a dlink consumer class router?

Thanks for the help.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I didn't read through the entire FAQ, but it looks like the STBs will end up on a different subnet from your primary router. It doesn't have to be like this.

When I did the three-router setup, I disabled the Actiontec's DHCP server and gave it a LAN static IP inside my primary router's subnet. Then I connected the Actiontec and Primary router LAN to LAN. The STB's traffic would be routed through my primary router, so I had to create the Verizon port forwarding rules manually there.

This setup was working with Remote DVR and it should also allow you to use the FiOS app on your own wireless.
deminicus
Coatesville, PA

deminicus

said by Thinkdiff:

I didn't read through the entire FAQ, but it looks like the STBs will end up on a different subnet from your primary router. It doesn't have to be like this.

When I did the three-router setup, I disabled the Actiontec's DHCP server and gave it a LAN static IP inside my primary router's subnet. Then I connected the Actiontec and Primary router LAN to LAN. The STB's traffic would be routed through my primary router, so I had to create the Verizon port forwarding rules manually there.

This setup was working with Remote DVR and it should also allow you to use the FiOS app on your own wireless.

I'm a bit confused. What is your 3rd router doing then? The FAQ specifically states that you need to put them on separate subnets for its implementation. If your setup does the trick another way than the FAQ then I would like to try it... but I could use some more details.

Right now I turned on my actionlesstec wireless and enabled mac filtering to just attach my ipad. This works but now my home security camera app doesn't work. Not a big deal but would be cool to get that working for SCIENCE! That security system is attached to my primary so the connection would need to somehow get from the actiontec to secondary to primary. Not sure if that's doable, but I digress.

Thanks for your reply.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by deminicus:

I'm a bit confused. What is your 3rd router doing then? The FAQ specifically states that you need to put them on separate subnets for its implementation. If your setup does the trick another way than the FAQ then I would like to try it... but I could use some more details.

The primary purpose of the 3 router setup is to give the Actiontec router your public IP address on it's WAN port even though you have your own router connected to the ONT. The Actiontec connects to Verizon's servers and reports back it's IP and configuration. That IP is used to direct Remote DVR requests to your DVRs. If the WAN port has the wrong address, it won't work. Has nothing to do with the STBs communicating with the Actiontec.

In my setup, the STBs should be assigned static IP reservations in your own router's DHCP table so they always get 192.168.1.101, 102, etc. I was told that the STBs must be on the 192.168.1.x subnet in order for Remote DVR to work, but I'm not sure I believe it. As long as your port forwarding rules are correct and you have assigned the Actiontec the correct IP address, it should work.
deminicus
Coatesville, PA

deminicus

let me see if I understand. If you gave the actiontec a static ip inside the primary's subnet wouldn't that mean it's wan port is on 192.168.1.x and therefor it's ip on the wan port wouldn't be a public one. Still don't get how the secondary router works in this setup since it supposed to supply the actiontec the external public ip that the primary has assigned. My understanding of what you said conflicts with the goal of getting the actointec that external ip.

Also am not sure what you mean lan to lan. Does that just mean that this will act like bridge and therefor allow the primary to assign ips to the STBs? I get the dhcp reservation for the STB stuff but the confusion about the static ip and subnet stuff

I assume that the port forwarding settings are disabled in the actiontec in this setup since it's all done on the primary. And I do not need them on the secondary since the lan to lan connection will allow my primary to do all that right?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I had it setup like this:

Main Router:
WAN - DHCP from ONT
LAN - 192.168.1.0/24
Static IP reservations for all the STB MAC addresses starting at 101.
Port Forwarding rules for each STB
Port forwarding rule for Actiontec router (I think it was port 8080 or something like that - it's the Verizon management port).

Secondary Router (non-Actiontec):
WAN - DHCP from Main Router
LAN - Assigns the Public IP of the Main router to the Actiontec via DHCP
Public IP address in DMZ

Third Router (Actiontec)
WAN - DHCP from Secondary Router (receives public IP address)
LAN - DHCP disabled. Statically assigned internal address of 192.168.1.2
No port forwarding rules required (although, Verizon's server will push the port forwarding rules - good place to copy them from to your main router)

Then I connected an ethernet cable from Main Router LAN port to Actiontec LAN port. This allows the STBs (any anything else connected to the Actiontec) to pull an IP address from the Main Router. All internet-bound traffic is routed through main router only. Verizon still has access to the Actiontec via the port forwarding rules and secondary router.
deminicus
Coatesville, PA

deminicus

Sweet. That did it. Looks like everything now works. This setup is simpler than the one in the FAQ. Thanks for the help.